A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: not so much a botch...  (Read 990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2011 10:44:37 AM »

I really want to make a book purse, but every time i  buy *just the right book* from a thrift store, i can't bring myself to cut it up!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME SOME WILLPOWER!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011 02:09:13 PM »

WILLLLLPPOWWWEEERRR!!! there....shew!
If it makes you feel any better I got a catalog from some fancy schmancy furniture store and
they were selling (I kid you not) small bundles of paperback books that they had ripped the covers off of and bundled with little bits of twine as "artful" accessories.
The crazy thing was that they were about $15. All I could think was ...REALLY?!?!
Go on and do your book purse, it will be lovely and a far better honor to the book  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011 07:17:41 PM »

How does one make a book purse? I have a ton of old textbooks from when I was in college that are useless now. They're so out of date that the school won't but them back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011 01:53:47 AM »

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Book-Purse

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011 06:16:37 AM »

Thank you so much!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 10:26:18 AM »

If it makes you feel any better I got a catalog from some fancy schmancy furniture store and
they were selling (I kid you not) small bundles of paperback books that they had ripped the covers off of and bundled with little bits of twine as "artful" accessories.
The crazy thing was that they were about $15. All I could think was ...REALLY?!?!
Go on and do your book purse, it will be lovely and a far better honor to the book  Smiley

Ouch!  That hurts me so much!  I keep collecting free ripped books so I can cut them up, but even though they are un-readable, I still have a hard time making the commitment to cutting into them.  So, I feel your pain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011 09:34:46 PM »

Books that don't sell, don't go back to the publisher. They have the covers ripped off, and then they usually go into a dumpster, which is sad. It's a bonus if they make it into recycling, but sometimes publishers ban that, because someone might possibly "rescue" them. Sometimes they're just shredded. Instead of doing that, it looks as though they're being "recycled," after a fashion, into such a decoration. They probably can't be sold *as* books, but can be bundled up and sold as art. I like to look at them as surprise literature - stuff I'd likely NEVER pick up in ANY store, but you find the most interesting books that way. Set decorators will also buy books "by the yard" in a similar manner, because you need to decorate X number of feet of shelving, and it's in the background, so it doesn't really matter just so long as it's got an intact spine that "looks" like a book. (PS: Restoration Hardware isn't really hardware, anymore, though it does have some "restored" items Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thai Foodcast: Thai Basil Chicken
Easy International Cantonese Steamed Fish
Easy International Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Shanghai Pork/Easy International
Takoyaki to go with your Beer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...