A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 Costume-Along  (Read 25503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2011 07:10:55 PM »

Thank you so much for all the tips! I really apreciate it, I'm hoping to try and do the ruffled neckline I really like the look of it. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial for a ruffled neckline? BTW I was able to find a black skirt so I just need to add a thick yellow ribbon towards the bottom. I also got a black polo shirt to start the hubbys popeye costume. I also need to figure out how to add the collar thingy onto his shirt. I kinda have an idea of how I'll do it I'm just not sure if it will play out the way it is in my head.

How to make circular ruffles.

How to draft a sailor collar.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber.hope
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2011 09:29:50 AM »

Wow Alexus1325 you'r awesome! Thank you so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2011 10:14:43 AM »

I just finished up the Hood (cape) part of my Little Red Riding Hood costume. I used felt, and on the bolt it felt really soft and slightly thicker than cotton, but sewing it up it seems a bit thin.  It doesn't need to be super sturdy or anything, but I'm almost afraid to wash it.

Next up will be the vest.  Trying to do the most obvious parts of the costume first in case I run out of time.

I'm using this pattern: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QbyJlvr1zrg/Tf4p9D1SHNI/AAAAAAAAABg/zxoW42KJbvI/s1600/pattern.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2011 05:58:43 PM »

Wow Alexus1325 you'r awesome! Thank you so much!!

No problem! My Googling skills are well honed Tongue

I just finished up the Hood (cape) part of my Little Red Riding Hood costume. I used felt, and on the bolt it felt really soft and slightly thicker than cotton, but sewing it up it seems a bit thin.  It doesn't need to be super sturdy or anything, but I'm almost afraid to wash it.

Next up will be the vest.  Trying to do the most obvious parts of the costume first in case I run out of time.

I'm using this pattern: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QbyJlvr1zrg/Tf4p9D1SHNI/AAAAAAAAABg/zxoW42KJbvI/s1600/pattern.jpg

Is it wool felt or acrylic felt? Either way, you might want to hand wash it so that it doesn't get warped/stretched. And I've always thought that pattern was so cute!!! Can't wait to see it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2011 08:25:48 PM »

It's acrylic felt, and yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not going to stand up to machine washing.  I think I'm going to hand wash it all at least once before Halloween though, because it's a bit wrinkled from the bolt.

I managed to finish up the vest part too.  I messed up the grommets on one side, they said to cut a hole in the fabric before putting the grommet in, but I was afraid I'd cut the hole too big, so I just kinda poked the scissors in and made a tiny tear.  But that caused the fabric to stretch a bit and get a little wonky.  I think once I'm all dressed up it'll be fine though.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011 08:54:03 PM by ZumaGirl74 - Reason: adding pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2011 09:48:56 PM »

I tried it on yesterday with my shirt and it looks BIZARRE!  The straps are practically in my ears and (I haven't gotten the grommets in yet) it's looking a little tight.  -I can live with the tight, but the straps are about to drive me up a wall.  I've got a couple of ideas on how to fix it, but I want to get the grommets in and lace it up before I start hacking into it. -I know I'm keeping the corseting.

What material are you using?  When I tried on my vest/corset thing the straps were too long too... not quite up to my ears but I know what you mean.   And if you're lacing it up then does it matter how tight it is really?  Can't you just loosen up the ties?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2011 12:35:49 PM »

I tried it on yesterday with my shirt and it looks BIZARRE!  The straps are practically in my ears and (I haven't gotten the grommets in yet) it's looking a little tight.  -I can live with the tight, but the straps are about to drive me up a wall.  I've got a couple of ideas on how to fix it, but I want to get the grommets in and lace it up before I start hacking into it. -I know I'm keeping the corseting.

What material are you using?  When I tried on my vest/corset thing the straps were too long too... not quite up to my ears but I know what you mean.   And if you're lacing it up then does it matter how tight it is really?  Can't you just loosen up the ties?

I used the remains of a super soft fake leather skirt that I'd been using for doll boots.  And the laces, as you rightly point out, are adjustable and very much a nonissue. 
As to the straps being up to my ears, it was just weird, and I was having some doubts about the straps to begin with.  I still haven't put the grommets in, but I'm still leaning more towards a "waist cincher" type thing rather than a strapped bodice.
I also have a background in community theater costuming: aka "It'll do" theater, so I kind of wing it and fake it alot. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011 01:20:11 PM »

Regarding grommets:  Personally I think they are too hard to install and they also aren't even slightly authentic for most period clothing.  I've done a lot of hand-bound eyelets lately and I like them a lot.  They're also supposed to be more durable than grommets - extant historical garment that are hundreds of years old have hand-bound eyelets in great condition:

http://www.curiousfrau.com/tutorials/44-tutorials/88-how-to-make-beautiful-hand-bound-eyelets

I also like spiral lacing compared to cross lacing, it's easier to get into for one person:

http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lacing.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2011 06:56:35 PM »

I also have a background in community theater costuming: aka "It'll do" theater, so I kind of wing it and fake it alot. Cheesy

Yeah, that's been my attitude for this costume.  I mean, I'm making it because I want to be able to use it again, but it's not going to be worn on a weekly basis, so I'm taking some short-cuts.  I didn't do any kind of lining on the vest, and am not really measuring for the hems on anything.  It'll do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

conservativchick
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011 07:36:18 PM »

Both of my costumes are finished except for a pair of suspenders that I need to make. Even though I'm not going to be home Halloween night, I have an event the night before at a childrens event that I'm going to be dressed up for. I sewed myself a gorgeous mermaid costume that is soooo much fun or I can be Eloise (from the kids book series) I'm thinking I'm going to let my friends little sister (I'm tiny and my friends sis and I wear the same size) use my mermaid costume (even though I love it so much) because I am abosolutely in love with my Elouise costume Smiley I want to shout NONNIE! at the top of my lungs haha! I really need to get pictures of both and post them here and on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 6/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 7/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 8/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 7/19
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...