A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 Costume-Along  (Read 26650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2011 12:51:29 PM »

So, as regards the Olive Oyl and Popeye costumes:

I know just how frustrating it is to need things, know EXACTLY what you want, and yet, it seems to not exist.

First, I wanted to help you draft the collar so you can work with just a red sweater or long-sleeve tee. To that end:

Peter Pan Collar Tutorial
Scalloped Hem

Then I went looking at other people's DIY costumes, and HOLY COW, GENIUS! This woman did a RUFFLED NECKLINE! It is entirely within the realm of possibility that THIS is what the original artists had intended!

-----

STILL haven't gotten to the city for fabric. Getting anxious, only a month left...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2011 06:42:53 PM »

Ah!  Just the inspiration I need.  I picked up a Little Red Ridding Hood costume pattern back in July or something, but haven't actually started yet! 

Ok... I'm going to start cutting out the pieces now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Erzsabet
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2011 08:12:52 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Olive Oyl's skirt just a simple A-line skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate it when my party can't start cause Ke$ha didn't walk in.
christysaysrawr
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2011 10:54:35 PM »

Yupp. There are several tutorials on here for one, just add a yellow stripe on the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2011 02:36:06 PM »

so I have the following costumes to make:

strawberry shortcake {5 yo niece}
thomas the train {2.5 yo niece}
Alice in Wonderland {me}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
erica_tattoos
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2011 03:51:11 PM »

here's the thomas i made last year; yeah, i went a lil overboard!  Cheesy

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=364083.msg4274843#msg4274843
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skrabadoo
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2011 06:38:17 PM »

I'm currently working on a little red riding hood costume for my toddler.  I'm using Simplicity 2571, and it is kicking my butt! 

Mr.  Skrabadoo is going out as the wolf, but I am just making him a hood with ears out of fun fur. I'll probably be grandma.  Tongue

Last year my little one was Yoda.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amber.hope
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2011 12:19:39 PM »

It is, its a black A-line skirt with a yellow band around the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber.hope
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2011 12:28:20 PM »

I know just how frustrating it is to need things, know EXACTLY what you want, and yet, it seems to not exist.

First, I wanted to help you draft the collar so you can work with just a red sweater or long-sleeve tee. To that end:

Scalloped Hem

Then I went looking at other people's DIY costumes, and HOLY COW, GENIUS! This woman did a RUFFLED NECKLINE! It is entirely within the realm of possibility that THIS is what the original artists had intended!

Thank you so much for all the tips! I really apreciate it, I'm hoping to try and do the ruffled neckline I really like the look of it. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial for a ruffled neckline? BTW I was able to find a black skirt so I just need to add a thick yellow ribbon towards the bottom. I also got a black polo shirt to start the hubbys popeye costume. I also need to figure out how to add the collar thingy onto his shirt. I kinda have an idea of how I'll do it I'm just not sure if it will play out the way it is in my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christysaysrawr
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2011 12:43:00 PM »

Scalloped Hem

Thank you so much for all the tips! I really apreciate it, I'm hoping to try and do the ruffled neckline I really like the look of it. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial for a ruffled neckline? BTW I was able to find a black skirt so I just need to add a thick yellow ribbon towards the bottom. I also got a black polo shirt to start the hubbys popeye costume. I also need to figure out how to add the collar thingy onto his shirt. I kinda have an idea of how I'll do it I'm just not sure if it will play out the way it is in my head.
On Popeye's shirt, if you look up pictures from the original cartoon, it's actually like a really big bandana/scarf draped over his shoulders. I would just make a bandana and stencil (with tape) a black square around it. Note:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011 12:44:43 PM by christysaysrawr - Reason: resize picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Razors
5 Fall Must Haves with Natalie Off Duty
Beauty at NYFW SS 2015
Back to the Beauty Basics for Fall
How to Correctly Use Your Eye Brushes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...