A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 Costume-Along  (Read 33846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 24, 2011 09:29:42 PM »

I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through the pages, but no one had started the costume-along yet!!! Come on guys, there's only 6 months left!!!

Last year I was a decent approximation of a Japanese courtesan (that's me pulling a zombie in the thumb-pic Cheesy). I've had most of the pieces for it for quite some years. The year before I wore a very simple She-Ra outfit. THIS year, I'm getting ambitious Cheesy

I'm gonna be a sparkly naked unicorn!!!! A combination of dancewear lining fabric and nude-coloured sequinned stretch-lace should do the trick. I've done TONS of research already on the best way to make the shoes, seeing as how I can't afford a pair of these:

So here's my list of things to engineer and ideas for them:
-bodysuit (shorts? full length?)
-horn (latex? paper clay? polymer clay?)
-mask (paper mache? foam over plastic canvas?)
-shoes (alter existing shoes? make a pair with 2x4s and ballet shoes?)
-cuffs (wig hair? faux fur?)
-tail (support structure?!?!?! don't want a floppy tail...)
-hand-hooves (pop cans?)

Then there's the fact that I now know what a Qi Lin/Qirin/Kirin is. The "westernized" version is freaking AWESOME. But then I'd be scaly and tufted. Still considering it, just because of the obscurity-factor Tongue

Can't wait to see what everyone is planning!!!

Queen of Spades
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 11:46:18 PM »

I would love to costume along!!  Grin

I've already got ideas for this year's costume, too.  Tongue
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011 12:25:41 AM »

Wellllll, my brother asked me last Halloween if I could make him a Joker outfit (a la "Dark Knight" - Heath Ledger). He wants it as authentic as possible. I suppose if he gives me a couple hundred for supplies, fabric and labor sometime soon, I might actually have it done by Halloween.

Hrmmm.... *thinking*

My other kinda joking idea for my own costume was an "Zombie Aztec Aunt Edna" after a discussion I had with my friend about the possibility of the world ending in 2012. Yeah, I know, seems disjointed, but it kinda works if you heard the whole convo... lol. Basically there would be a missing arm and a tray of "meatloaf" involved. xD I dunno about the feasibility of that costume the way I'm picturing it though. Especially since I'm unemployed currently and poor as hell. Boo.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011 12:29:50 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011 11:27:39 AM »

i would be down for a costume along as well
this year my boyfriend and i are going as the joker and Harley Quinn
lucky me i basically have free reign with the costumes

he's big into the comics so i think ill stick mostly in that area, with a little bit of jack Nicholson and heath ledger thrown in
for my costume i like the Harley from arkham asylum (the game) so I'm going mostly there, loverly corset and two coloured bra.
except that i want a mini jesters cap instead of the nurses hat that she wears.

last year we were little red riding hood and the big bad wolf. and a few years ago we were chucky and tiffany
i can post some pics when i find them. joining this i think will motivate me to start sooner rather than later
so exciting

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011 12:01:28 PM »

We have bin work the ida's on me and my boy freinds costume for about 2moths. we are haveing  a steampuunk halloween party. I do have up some pic's of my skirt up.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011 05:39:47 PM »

I'd totally be down for posting my progress, except I'm going to be gone for the next four months with no access to internet, and most of which I won't have access to crafting supplies... Ah, woe, especially since I plan on having a fairly accessory rich costume. Nymla's voodoo princess really inspired me, so this year I plan on going as a which doctoress. I really want to have the same scrappy, wild look that she has, but keep it my own. I just bought a bunch of bone beads and am in the midst of teaching myself to macrame, so I'm already on my way. My one friend also said he would give me some sheep bones too.
Things to do:
~leather underbust corset, canvas side panels with painted/embroidered accents and runes
~macrame belt with hip accent
~macrame belt with bottle/trinket holder
~2 painted leather panels with beaded fringe
~furry leg/arm wraps
~multitude of necklaces, bracelets, strings to wrap on arms.
~undershirt, crisscross top
~some sort of short/gathered skirt for under panels; still trying to figure this out.

Phew! So not much to do construction wise; the only thing that requires any real thought is the corset. The rest I want to  keep simple and rough. My time is mostly going to be sucked up in the details, but even if I'm running short on time come October, I can make most of these things in class!

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011 03:17:02 PM »

I'd join. I was planning on doing the Medusa costume I wanted last year but didn't have the time to make. I did a lot of research, bought some patterns and sketched out some plans- and then realized I hadn't saved any fabric money and didn't have enough time to pull it off.  Embarrassed

As far as your unicorn, I'd go with the: full length bodysuit (smoother bodyline from top to bottom), poly clay horn, paper-mache over a pre-formed plastic mask (or my bro-in-law made a great wolf mask with expandable foam one year), heels- repaint/cover with fur to resemble hoofs (and it'll give your legs a nice line, too), and faux fur cuffs. As far as tail support- maybe some wire (like fine window screen mesh) or plastic canvas? Or something mini-bustle-like and cover with faux hair/wig/extension thingies?

Sorry, my explanations are horrible.  Undecided

And for your hoof-hand covers... maybe some leather (the kind you buy in pre-cut peices at the craft stores)? Make a cuff that extends over your hand and flares a little to suggest a hoof, but leaves your hands free...

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes with the suggestions. I like your idea and think it would be so much fun to make! Good luck- I hope you post pictures when it's completed!

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011 08:50:36 PM »

Hey, when_im_sixty4, apparently we think along the same lines! You can't really see in my photos, but I've got construction notes about each piece, and all of your suggestions are noted in one form or another except for the tail. I was planning to make the hand-hooves from pop-cans, and the footwear will either be proper pony shoes or heel-less shoes, but if I can't find any second-hand, I'll have to make some out of old shoes or from scratch.

I think I like the idea of wire mesh as a base for the tail. That would be light-weight and I can form it to fit along my tailbone. There will be a hole for it to stick out of my body suit. I was going to buy two or three costume wigs to make my tail and hoof fringes. Just gotta decide on colours before I get that far! I have naturally dark blond looooooong hair, so I may just buy dark blond for my unicorn. Another option I like is RED. Like OMG BRIGHT EFFING RED. I know I can buy bright red wigs come September at many different places, and there's good ole Manic Panic for my own head. I'm leaning towards blond hair with gold horn and hooves, or red hair with silver horn and hooves.

Glad to see so many people already planning their costumes!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011 05:31:04 PM »

Lookit what I found!

K Firor of Metal Water Studio gave me permission to post the photo Cheesy They're off to a convention, but I'll be ordering mine either next week or the week after. The one in the photo is "brown" but that's pretty close to what I imagine "gold" as. I think I'd like the results better than silver. Already spoke to K about my project, and s/he seems confident about the paint job Cheesy

Personally, I LOVE how super-realistic it looks! Probably because there's latex over a resin core, gives it more depth. LOL, I totally looked into making my own, but at the price that MWS can do it for, I'd rather just leave it to the experts!

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011 12:04:20 AM »

was reading your post and remembered this from last year's costume challenge. thought you might find it interesting!  Wink

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sidewalk Chalk
How to Make a Pop Up Card for Children
How to Make a Tissue Paper Flower
How to Make a Happy Sun Face
Face Painting - Alien Brushwork Details
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...