A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Milk Jug Planter - Tutorial  (Read 6075 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , upcycle , gardening , toilet_paper_tube  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Theaquacreature

What makes day and night alike? Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2011 06:48:39 PM »

In honor of recycling and Earth Day (and truly the lack of planters I have available) I am posting a tutorial on how to reconstruct a Milk Jug into a planter! I fell in love with this method of planting after my happily growing apple trees desperately needed a new "home". I don't know if this idea has been posted before, but if so here is a tutorial to making one!

The only items you will need are, A permanent marker, sharp scissors, an X-ACTO/Crafting Knife, a dish towel, a 1 gallon milk jug and some water for cleaning.

First off, you will need to rinse out a milk jug! My milk jugs always end up getting crushed before they even enter the recycle bag, so I just blow into them before I make any cuts. This will make your jug un-crushed again. After you rinse out the inside you can now trace a line along the top ridge of the milk jug. Make sure you dry off the exterior or you will end up with a messed up marker  Undecided.
Now you puncture a slit above the handle with your knife.

Cut along the line until the top is separated from the to-be planter.

It should look like this. YAY for a functioning handle!

Now it is time to cut a hole for drainage. Flip the jug over. Mark, and cut out a slit along the bottom. My jugs have a plastic strip along the bottom that is perfect to cut out along!

And this is what is should look like!

TA-DA!!! All done! Now all you have left to do is plant plants in them! Milk jugs make great planters. I'm sure you could make smaller ones with 1/2 and 1/4 gallon jugs! Also when the plant grows out the the jug you don't have to feel guilty if you have to cut the jug up to get the plant out!  Hope you enjoyed and Happy Earth Day!

I also have the tutorial posted here on my blog; http://chesslescreations.blogspot.com/2011/04/earth-day-recycled-milk-jug.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is where crafting occurs both DAY and NIGHT!
http://chesslescreations.blogspot.com/
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 06:59:36 PM »

In prep for Earth Day we saved milk jugs for a few weeks and used them for planters too.  I cut the whole jug in half and used to top part with the handle as our watering can.  My niece loved poking holes in the soil so she could put the "sleeping babies" to bed.  Thanks for sharing.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seereeoslee

Get 'em while they're young

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 07:05:43 PM »

Great idea!  I wanted to do a veggie garden in my backyard this summer, but we might be moving in August.  This would be an easy way to have a movable garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*  *  *  *  Swaps  *  *  *  *  Granny's Daughters Round 8 and a Half (time to buy more yarn)  *  *  *  *
kcartwright856
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011 08:10:00 PM »

Excellent! I'm sure the jug is quite happy with its new purpose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eal
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013 12:47:41 PM »

Cutting my yogurt and cottage cheese containers into rings, stick them in the ground a little and plant mt tomato plants. Keeps the tomato worms out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013 08:49:39 AM »

The clear plastic boxed that bagged salad greens come in are perfect for starting plants. The taller ones create a perfect mini greenhouse. We make rolled newspaper planting pots and transplant whole into a larger pot.

Take a toilet paper tube, wrap a strip of newspaper cut to about 4" wide around the tube leaving about an inch off the tube. Tuck this inside the tube to create a bottom. Place in salad container and fill with potting soil. Pack the pots pretty tight as they get floppy as they absorb moisture. Plant your seeds and wait for the magic. Tomatoes and peppers work very well as you can plant up easily as they sprout without disturbing the roots. Remember you can bury leggy tomato starts up to the first true leaves to create a stronger plant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Flash - Overview
How to Design Custom Menus in Adobe Encore Lesson 3
Adobe Encore: Basic Menu Functionality Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...