A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best rotary cutter and cutting mat to buy?  (Read 12820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shannon1976
« on: April 24, 2011 02:40:51 PM »

There are so many to choose from, not sure which are the best? What does everyone else have and do you like them them/dislike them? Thanks so much for your help and Happy Easter!!!!! Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyorange
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 02:47:35 PM »

I have the 45mm Deluxe Ergonomic Rotary Cutter by Olfa and I loooove it! (http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersDetail.aspx?C=2&Id=5) I also have the 24"x36" mat, but I find that it's really huge for me. It's nice to cut large piece of fabric on, especially if you have the room to leave it in one place, but if you're a broke college student living in the smallest bedroom on earth like me, it's hard to shuffle around. I also have the 4"x36" ruler with a lip (looooove the lip), and find that really handy, but find that it's also way to large for the space I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 09:35:31 PM »

I've very happy with the Fiskars 45 mm one that comes with a big mat and a ruler. If you are near a Joann they have it on sale frequently, or if you use a 40% off coupon when it's not on sale it's also a good deal!

This is what the current design looks like (bought one for my sil recently)
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd23953

but the one I have from a few years ago looks more like this one
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd12596

I love the big ruler when I'm cutting yardage but also like to have a smaller one on hand...I think the smaller one is something like 3 x 20", it works for pretty much everything else.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011 09:36:41 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
shebear
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011 05:20:11 AM »

After just jumping in a buying one, I'll give you my hindsight. First consider what you are going to cut. Four layers of fabric is about as thick as you want to go to make easy cuts. That means if you're cutting 45" cotton the mat will need to be at least a 12" mat but a 24" one would be better. If you're only cutting up fat quarters then a rotating 18" would be great (expensive but great). Also consider where you are going to store it since they need to be flat. I have an Olfa mat but having recently tried two other brands; it appears they all work well.

Now for the cutter. What you buy may depend on how klutzy you are or whether you have small children. I've recently bought a Fiskars brand that automatically hides the blade. I did this because I got tired of nicking myself by brushing against the blade. While in the midst of a cutting frenzy, I find I tend to drop the cutter without hiding the blade and then will occasionally brush against it while moving the fabric. The automatic closing blade saves me and since the auto safety can be bypassed, I can keep the blade exposed if I want. (The best of both worlds but you pay for it)

Now you need to get a guide. I have a 8" x 24" one that is 16" on one side so that it gives me two angles. It's very old and I'm not sure they still make it. It's great for long cuts but drives me nuts for short ones so I've acquired all sorts of plastic shapes. What you cut will dictate what you need.

That's my two cents and hopefully it will help you narrow the field.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beltanecrazycat

Hello Kitty ROCKS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011 11:26:46 AM »

I think my cutter is from Fiskars, works really good, and just a plain green cutting mat. If you look at the automatic cutters, don't buy the Simplicity cutter, I have one. I can't return it because it took me so long to try it. I hate the thing. the blades it came with are so dull they barely cut. It's also supposed to go through up to 6 layers of fabric,I have a hard time getting it through 2. I wish I had the money for the Accuquilt cutter
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katie_H
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012 05:59:31 AM »

I would recommend the Olfa Deluxe Rotary Cutter.

Great for cutting through several layers of material. Makes quick work of cutting multiple duplicates. Auto retract blade with locking button is a great safety feature...no more open blades lay in wating to give a nasty cut.

More info: http://best-gear.org/olfa-deluxe-rotary-cutter-60mm/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prolines Vol 2 sports Ticket customization
How to Adjust Sports Photos Using Curves
How to Customize Your Template Design
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 1
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...