A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Hand-y" quilt *Updated to add fundraiser results  (Read 887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christian_cowgirlGSR
« on: April 24, 2011 02:21:56 PM »

Early in 2010, I got the idea to make a quilt for the church, and I just couldn't get the idea out of my head (I call it a God-prod).  Anyway, I finally gave in and decided to make a quilt.  After having started it, this quilt got put on hold several times for other projects, such as Leslie's quilt (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=368283.msg4328536#msg4328536), towards the end of which my sewing machine died and forced me to get a new one (I got a Janome Sewist 500 - highly recommend it). After more than a year and a very frantic week this past week as I hurried to finish the quilt before our upcoming move, this quilt is the result.  My pictures aren't all that good 'cuz it was dark when I finished the quilt and the lamps in the house have already been packed and moved.   Roll Eyes  Anyway, on to the pictures!

A close-up of the hands after the quilting was done around them.

As much of the whole quilt as I could get in a picture.  Enough of our stuff has been packed that I didn't have anything to hang it with and no one was around to hold it up for me.  The borders say "Children of FBC".  

A better picture of the top half of the quilt

The quilt, with a corner flipped over so you can see the back.

The back of the quilt.  The only picture I had of the back was before I was done with it so I hadn't trimmed off the excess backing yet.  However, this picture shows the quilting better than the front does.  

From this quilt, I learned (the hard way) why long-arm quilting machines are so valuable.  There are a couple of sewed-in wrinkles on the quilt where I didn't notice them until it was already too late to go back and fix them.  Oh well, I guess it adds "character" to the quilt.  Smiley  

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

**EDIT:  The quilt was raffled off a couple weeks ago.  The couple that won it are good friends of my husband and I.  The picture below shows the pastor (left) with the gentleman who won it (right).  The winner's wife wasn't feeling good that day...  I was a bit disappointed with the amount the quilt fundraiser raised.  The total came to $107, and I put roughly $105-$110 into the quilt.  In retrospective, it would've been much easier to just donate the money to the church.  However, I guess I can be proud of  my accomplishments with this quilt, and my friends now have a quilt to remember me by (we moved just about the time i finished the quilt).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011 06:47:58 AM by christian_cowgirlGSR - Reason: Added fundraising results with picture of winner. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
NessaMcTastic
Check out my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 02:35:56 PM »

Very nice! And yes, any wrinkles just give it character that a store bought quilt just doesn't have. PS Your secret of the wrinkles is safe with us.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 03:54:25 PM »

Absolutely fabulous! Shocked You are so talented. Good luck with your move.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011 04:00:44 PM »

great quilt. And I love the term "God prod".....I am gonna have to remember that one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have some spare roving you're willing to part with? Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011 05:22:09 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011 06:22:14 PM »

That's fabulous!  I really like the idea and the quilting is beautiful. 

Do you mind if I borrow this idea for my church?  I'm on the committee to try and restart the youth groups and I think this would be a great idea to bring the groups together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011 08:05:45 PM »

Linnybelle - That's a huge compliment (THANK YOU!).  I can't claim the whole idea, though, as I found the idea of a tree with hand prints on the internet (sorry, I don't know where I found that idea at).  The pastor and I came up with using the tree with hand prints for the children of the church. As far as I'm concerned, you are more than welcome to use the idea.  I'd love it if you'd post back here and tell me about what you do and what the results are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011 02:22:21 PM »

I will definitely post back if/when I make one.  I have to talk to the Pastor, but I think it would be a great thing to pull the youth group together again and my church has a great quilting guild that would probably help out with fabrics.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Pomp A Doodle Scarf
How to Crochet a Blanket Part 3/3
How to Crochet a Blanket Part 2/3
How to Crochet a Wavy Blanket Part 1/3
Homemade and DIY Gift Ideas: PopSugar’s Holiday Gift Guide
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...