A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,637
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tree Swap Round 3 (Signups CLOSED; Mail by 6/16/11)  (Read 20372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2011 09:36:27 AM »

I was off playing at a festival for four days, so I didn't get anything actually crafted this weekend, but I did see something there that flipped on the little lightbulb in my head. I just couldn't decide exactly what to do for lacey0828's large item, but that was just the inspiration that I needed. Also, it did my soul good to spend the weekend in a park full of huge beautiful trees, so my batteries are fully recharged now and I'm ready to craft like mad! Smiley

Also-also, I'm so excited that her large for me is done/almost done. Hee! It's like the month before Christmas when you're all excited about what is to come. Yay for anticipation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
DawnsTrees
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2011 09:50:26 AM »

How lucky to be at a festival surrounded by trees, for four days! Jealous!!

Before the swap started I had all of these ideas swimming around in my head - much of it based on jewelry. I got a great partner, but she doesn't wear any jewelry! Cheesy So I am really out of my element, but loving the creative stretching that it is forcing on me. I am still waiting for that magic inspiration to strike - I have some ideas that I am pleased with, but haven't had that "oooh yes. THIS is what I know she will like" moment yet. (that also may have to do with the fact that I have been having a very stressful couple of weeks, so my crafting mojo has been lacking all around...). I know that I will get the inspiration - I am just being impatient, wanting it now! So, long story short - I won't be shipping until close to the send out date!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
PurplePaisley
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2011 03:41:42 PM »

I also am having a little bit of creative meltdown. I have almost finished my partners large. I was really happy with how it started now im not so sure. HMMMM. I will continue to move forward, and hope she likes what I have crafted. Oh "P" I see your comment about the Jewlery , the only thing I can think of and not sure if this will help is I could use a chain to keep my sunglass's around my neck when im not wearing them. Maybe this will help you out a little with your creative thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2011 05:14:44 PM »

Had to take a break from tree-crafting to work dilligently on my baby sister's b-day gift - which is on Thursday. Finally finished the craziest freezer paper stencil I've ever done, which doesn't sound too crazy since I've only done maybe like 5 or 6 of them before this one, but I'll be posting pics of it in a bit in the image reproduction pages if you care to check out my MADNESS. But anywho - I'm hoping to finish off the second half of her gift in the next couple of days and then go whole hog on the rest of my tree crafts.

Question for the group though: when working on your large crafts - my partner and I have discussed the fact that the majority of my craft supplies tend to be upcycled, so the cost factor doesn't really work for me... and sometimes I feel like I've definitely spent the time factor on a craft, but it just doesn't feel "large" to me... any suggestions? I know this is really super vague but I don't know how else to put it without my partner potentially reading something that might give it away (sorry crystallized-art! I'll post teasers, but that's all the hints you'll get! Mwah-ha ha Tongue).
So any tips on how to be certain that something actually is a "large" craft?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2011 05:21:28 PM »

I've said this before on Craftster, and I believe it to be 100% true...if you put effort and thoughtfulness and care into the item(s) that you make to send your partner, it will show.  And that is what really matters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you think it's a large by time spent on it, and you tried your best, then I'm sure it's fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2011 06:03:03 PM »

Teamama, I struggle with the same problem. For the items I use that aren't recycled, I tend to get free from family, so even filling a supply box makes me worry that I am somehow cheating.

I tend to over compensate and send a lot of little extras (because they really don't cost me much). But Miss Barbara is right. I believe for people who create using recycled material (and even those that don't) time is our most expensive item. No one has enough time in the day to do everything they want, so if we spend our valuable time to really do our best and try to make it fit our partners wants, then really its all we can do (short of giving up on the recycled way of life and buy all new supplies- which I won't do).

The other problem I have is that I enjoy creating way to much so I kinda feel like I am getting more out of my creations than my partner is Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2011 10:37:26 PM »

Thanks PurplePaisley! (and I know that your partner will love whatever it is that you are making!)

Teamama - I also struggle with this. Especially if something that looks "small" really takes a lot of time. Or if you have remade the same item six times trying to get it right... The money and the size often just don't work for me, so I also attempt to go off of time spent, but if that doesn't feel right then it is a combination of time spent and how pleased I am with the project... (I know, that isn't subjective at all  Roll Eyes ).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
pinkmichk
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2011 02:28:52 AM »

crafting away steadily here had to restart something as i didnt like how it was looking but this 1 is better, i think
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am always up for personal swaps -send me a message

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/shellfullerton/
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2011 07:12:15 AM »

I have a hard time gauging sizes too.... but I try to go by the Golden Rule of crafting: Craft unto others as you would have them craft unto you. I try to think about how I would feel about an item if I were opening the package. If I'm not sure that someone else would appreciate that it's a Large/Med/etc, then I'll usually tuck in some little extras. But, honestly, I probably tend to go overboard on packages anyway... it's just fun to find or make little things that I think someone would like. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2011 07:19:51 AM »

Thanks for all the tips - glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling that way! My partner is really great and is totally okay with receiving upcycled materials in her crafts, so that's great. I think part of the issue is craft-ability as well. Some of the things that are listed as a large (necklace, earrings, bracelet set for example) really really really doesn't feel "large" to me because jewellery is one of my strong suits. Whereas on the other hand, I CAN knit, but it probably takes me about 4 times as long as anyone else so something that I would feel is definitely "large" by time standards, doesn't really feel "large" by any of the other standards! I guess it's really to each their own. Rest assured, I'm sure I'll meet the points for the swap, but I think it's partially just first-time-swapper anxiety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Locating Landscapes in Christ Art
Lizzie King Shows You How to Tie-Dye Patterns With a Pillowcase
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...