A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tree Swap Round 3 (Signups CLOSED; Mail by 6/16/11)  (Read 13445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkmichk
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2011 07:48:07 AM »

wow people are fast Shocked i'm quite likely to be going to the sendout date
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am always up for personal swaps -send me a message

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/shellfullerton/
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2011 08:14:56 AM »

A question (for all) regarding shipping: does anyone have any tips about packing up the packages for shipping? ...but does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to ship so that things a) stay intact and b) don't get weighed down too much by packaging?

I work in a mail center, so I can offer professional tips!  Cheesy I've mailed tons of stuff for myself and/or for work, and I don't think I've ever had a personal item break and it very rarely happens at work.

The best thing you can do for items you ship is to make sure that there is as little empty space in the box as you can manage. Empty space gives room for things to shift, and a tightly-packed box is more stable and less likely to get dented/squashed. Also, bubble wrap is a mailer's best friend! (and/or those bigger air pillow thingies- do ya'll know what I'm talking about?) If you are mailing something extremely delicate, I'd put it in a smaller box inside your larger box... and once again, bubble wrap! And make sure your box is big enough- if you have an item that is pressing against the sides of the box, it is much nore likely to get broken! For example, someone once sent me a bowl that had actually made the box bulge out a bit on the sides... I say had because when it made it to me it was in pieces, even though they'd wrapped it in bubble wrap. I know shipping is expensive, but it usually doesn't cost much more to send a slightly larger box and it may be the difference between your painstakingly crafted items arriving safely or arriving in pieces.  Cry And if you have an item that could leak, ziploc bags are awesome. If I send an item that could be damaged by getting wet, I wrap it in plastic wrap ( like from your kitchen)... and that also keeps painted items that might be slightly tacky (like fabric paint- does that stuff ever dry?!?) from sticking to other stuff.

Okay, I'll shut up now!   Grin

I've just pretty much decided what I'm sending our fearless leader! I've been working on a small item, but I'll be closer to the sendout date too. Ya'll are some speedy crafters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2011 09:19:45 AM »

Super tips Dragonflower! THANKS!

I am sending something that is breakable... so the box within a box idea sounds fantastic! Glad I asked. I do know what you mean by those large air bubbles, I'm just hoping I can pick things like that up at the post office. And I'm fairly sure than most of our shipping costs pertain to weight rather than size, so I'm hoping all goes well!

Again, thanks for all the good advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
PurplePaisley
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2011 11:37:07 AM »

Sat on my porch today, in the warm spring sun working on my Tree Swap. What a great way to work on a Swap that is the theme of tree's to be surrounded by them while crafting and taking in their beauty as they start to bloom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2011 01:41:06 PM »

Sat on my porch today, in the warm spring sun working on my Tree Swap. What a great way to work on a Swap that is the theme of tree's to be surrounded by them while crafting and taking in their beauty as they start to bloom.

That sounds simply lovely!

Teamama, a lot of times you can get bubble wrap and the pillow things from stores or businesses that receive lots of shipments. Before I had this job, I got them a lot from dollar stores & gifty-type shops. FYI. I'm not sure about the postal service- they probably have them, but if yours are anything like the States', they'll charge you. (You did say you were in Canada, right?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2011 02:13:04 PM »

Yup. Canada.

And I'm sure that if I go to the post office, I will probably have to buy them. I might ask around and see if I can find some for free. I'll try my freecycle group - you never know what people have kicking around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
boystress
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2011 03:48:33 PM »

Just had an email from my online supplier "out of stock".  Angry

Plan B......anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2011 05:14:44 PM »

Sender?!  I'm still in the planning stages  Huh  I'm hoping to have it all packed and ready to go a few days before the send out date.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2011 05:21:51 PM »

I never thought I would say this, but:  THANKS FOR THE TEASERS, JILLYBEANS!  Cheesy  I saw them at lunchtime and they made me smile.  I was having a difficult day at that point.  Whatever the items are, I love them already!

I bought myself a sewing machine on Sunday, and I was taught how to use it just a few hours ago.  Jillybeans is going to be the proud owner of my cheesy, newbie-sewer, first project!  Lucky her!  Grin

BTW...I think Jillybeans and I are like two halves of the same crafting brain!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2011 05:55:12 PM »

wow people are fast Shocked i'm quite likely to be going to the sendout date

In that case, it's best we were matched up.  Grin 
I'm starting to put materials together, but know that I will run pretty close to the send out date too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
How to Model with Subserfs in Blender
How to Use Rampshaders in Blender
How to Use Dupliverts in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...