A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chainless Foundations Tutorial - general  (Read 1636 times)
Tags for this thread: chainless_foundation , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2011 07:59:11 AM »

I have already posted a chainless foundations tutorial (here), but it pretty much just focused on double crochet stitches and it wasn't quite as in-depth as I'd like.

Here, you will find a more general version of the tutorial, with a few extra things clarified.  I am using double crochet in this tutorial as well because I feel like it's a good stitch to learn this technique on.  However, the instructions are written in such a way that you can (hopefully) easily apply this technique to any crochet stitch, from single crochet, all the way up to bullion stitches (if you are feeling so insane inclined).

Let's get started!

To understand this technique better, you must first look at your stitches in a slightly different way than you might normally.  

Divide the stitch into two parts.  The first part involves putting loops on your hook.  The last part involves working the loops off of your hook.

For example: with double crochet, the first part would be "yo, insert hook, pull up a loop. 3 loops on hook".  The last part would be "yo, pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through 2 loops".

For chainless foundation stitches, you sneak a little "ch1" in between those two parts (that's the easy part).

So, for a chainless foundation double crochet (fdc) you would do:
yo, insert hook, pull up a loop. 3 loops on hook
ch1 (yo, pull through 1 loop, 3 loops on hook)
yo, pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through 2 loops

This is how you break down any stitch you want to work this way.  

For example: for single crochet stitches, the first part is "insert hook, pull up a loop. 2 loops on hook".  The last part is "yo, pull through 2 loops".  

So, for a chainless foundation single crochet (fsc) you would do:
insert hook, pull up a loop. 2 loops on hook
ch1 (yo, pull through 1 loop. 2 loops on hook)
yo, pull through 2 loops

The tricky part to this technique is: where do I insert my hook?  In the examples above, where it says "insert hook" you insert your hook into the "ch1" you put in the middle of the instructions for your last stitch.  Make sure you go under both arms of the V, just like you normally do when working into a previous stitch.  Don't worry, there are pictures of this below!  

You may find it useful to put a stitch marker in the ch1 as you do it so that you can more easily find it when you go to do the next stitch.  Once you get the hang of this technique, though, you should probably find you won't need the stitch markers.

Start with a slip knot on your hook:

ch1 (this is where you will be inserting your hook later)

Make an appropriate turning chain for the stitch you're doing.  In this example, I'm doing double crochet stitches, and I've found that ch2 is a good turning chain for me when doing dc, so I ch2 for this picture (for a total of 3 chains)

Now it's time to do the first foundation stitch.  Do any yarn-overs you need and insert your hook in that ch1 you did before (the chain farthest from your hook)

This is the "first part" of the stitch.  

Now ch1 (yo, pull through one loop)

This is what the ch1 looks like from the bottom:

Remember, put a stitch marker here if you think you might not be able to find it later!

Now it's time to finish the stitch as you normally would!
(In my case: yo, pull through 2 loops twice)

Here's a view of the bottom of the stitch again:

Do you see the 2 arms of the V?  It's kind of a rounded-looking V...

For the next stitch, go ahead and do any yarn-overs you need and insert your hook in that ch1:

Here I am, finished the "first part" of my dc stitch:

ch1 (yo, pull through one loop)

Then finish your stitch as you normally would:

Keep on going like this until you have as many stitches as you need:

And keep an eye on the bottom of your stitches - you should have a nice row of V's to match the ones on the top of your stitches:

Remember, you can use this technique on any regular crochet stitch, from single crochet to bullion stitches.  You can also do increases and decreases, just like in a regular row of crocheting.  

ETA:

Open increases/decreases (making holes): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=379039.0
Solid increases/decreases: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=379038.0

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011 05:01:38 AM by fantasticmio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Many Languages of California
Suzanne R. Krauss Talks About Her Book "To Vegas and Back"
Kevin Starr: California Is a Concept
California-Inspired Sci-Fi Literature
Money Is a Kind of Poetry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...