A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Beads of a Thousand Cuts  (Read 8932 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2011 , paper_beads  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 22, 2011 09:12:32 PM »

Paper Beads of a Thousand Cuts

I found making paper beads to be so relaxing and meditative, from the cutting the strips to rolling the beads.  But I also have a hard time leaving things well enough alone.  Thus came the Paper Beads of a Thousand Cuts.

First (and if anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd love to hear your ideas!) I layered sheets of Joss Paper that I bought at a local Asian grocery store by watering down plain white craft glue and brushing each sheet as I set them atop one another.  It's thinner than construction paper and thicker than tissue paper.  I've been playing with are using construction paper but the sheets dont adhere as well to each other with the above gluing technique.  If it ever gets warm enough around here (so I can do it outside) and I figure out a way to go with without creating a disaster, I want to try spray adhesive.

Once the layered sheets are dry, I form the beads as they usually are formed but glue along the coil rather than just the last few inches.  For this to work, the layers need to stay glued to each other throughout the whole bead.

Once the formed beads are dry, I smooth out the bead by cutting just a touch more than the ridge edges.  (And that is how these beads got their name I was so excited to try this that I didnt use the right kind of blade and carved the way you shouldnt carve.  When I shampooed my hair the next morning, I discovered rather painfully how badly I had shredded my thumb.)
As you carve the bead, the layers of colored papers show through and the striations come through.  Be sure to seal the bead well.  I liked the effect of Mod Podge Hard Coat the best but a matte clear nail polish was also fun.

unsealed                            Mod Podge                          Matte polish

(This is my first tutorial posted on Craftster... please C/C!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
calluna
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 09:58:35 PM »

Stunning results! The smooth surface is a big improvement on the basic style, and the marbled look of them is just...wow. I really like that you showed the 3 different finishes, too.
I wonder what would happen if, instead of cutting, you used a Dremel tool to sand away at the bead surface, on a very low speed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011 08:53:50 AM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
imera
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011 01:19:54 AM »

amazing, really lovely effects
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011 07:03:18 AM »

this is a great twist to the usual method.  they turned out amazing!  definitely gonna try this out.  thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011 01:31:37 PM »

Thank you for posting this! I tried to use a dremel on the regular paper beads a few months back. While the look intrigued me, all I could come up with was white and grey beads. This is a fantastic improvement in colors! I will definitely be trying this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011 07:50:47 PM »

I thought about using a dremel but figured that the edged would end up more mushed rather than cut cleanly.  I want to try this on a hair stick next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011 08:56:59 PM »

Gorgeous! I will have to try this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Temperamental
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011 10:19:42 PM »

I love these!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Getting my life together. Going to have to take a break from Craftster for a bit.
LauraNewkirk
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011 08:12:27 PM »

This is a really great idea. I took scrapbook paper and used that. Do you think if I layered that that it would work with your suggestions? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011 08:20:58 PM »

I think it would.  I think the trick it to not use thin paper so there's enough "depth" to show the color.  I'd love to see how yours work out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All the World Book Trailer
Sensing Spirit Book Trailer
Obama Diaries Book Trailer
Al Gore Talks About Our Choice
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...