A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate Peanut-butter and Buttercream Easter Eggs!  (Read 1069 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate , peanut_butter , buttercream  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2011 11:43:50 AM »

Just made up a batch of super yummy easter eggs. Some are chocolate peanut butter and others are classic buttercream (with a tinted yellow "yolk" in each one). Both of these recipes are my grandmother's - so I'm not sure where she got them from, but I think they're just your classic buttercream filling dipped in chocolate recipe... the peanut butter eggs use cream cheese though, so they're a little different.
The buttercream eggs are decorated with homemade royal icing (the fresh egg white kind) and the chocolate peanut butter eggs are decorated with melted peanut butter chips (because I was too lazy to make peanut butter icing, I'll be honest!) The decorating is so easy that my 2 year old helped me do it (3 guesses as to which eggs he decorated... and the first 2 don't count Tongue )

Anywho - pics! And once I get time to do all that typing, I'll post the recipes here if anyone wants them!
Thanks for looking and Happy Easter!
~Teamama

Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs

Buttercream Eggs

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 03:25:33 PM »

Mmm. Chocolatey.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
mbhookstar

ohhhhhh bungy!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011 05:33:59 PM »

oooooooooh please post! i think im in heaven! those look so wonderfully delightful!!! you cant get any better than chocolate and peanut butter!! those buttercream ones sound fantastic too!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonClaw
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011 07:22:36 PM »

Oooh oooh yummy! Please post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011 07:37:58 PM »

Sorry this is after Easter... but keep in mind that these yummy treats don't have to be egg shaped and who doesn't love treats no matter what their shape. (Also - I actually asked my grandmother where her recipe came from and she said "I don't remember! Share it!" so here we are!
Buttercrea/Fondant Easter Eggs
Ingredients:

* 1 half cup butter, softened
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract
    * 1/2 tsp salt
    * 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
    * 5-6 cups icing sugar
    * yellow food coloring
the original recipe calls for:
    * 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    * 1 tbsp shortening
I currently use
    * 1-2 pounds of merkin's light (or dark) chocolate coating/melting wafers. They're simpler to use and they stay harder...

Preparation:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.

2. Combine the butter, condensed milk, salt, and vanilla in a bowl with a mixer and beat on medium until smooth. This takes 2-3 minutes

3. Gradually add in 5 cups of icing sugar bit by bit (I do 3 additions), beating each time until creamy and smooth. The texture should be firm enough to handle, but not crumbly or too stiff. Add more powdered sugar if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. It's always better to add more sugar in little amounts than try to go backward by adding more butter etc

4. Remove slightly more than 3 quarters of the mixture from the bowl, and add yellow food coloring to the remaining mixture (a little less than a quarter) to represent the yolks, beating until it is a uniform color.

5. Take a teaspoon-sized amount of yellow candy and roll it into a ball. Roll a larger ball of white candy and flatten it in your palm. Place the yellow yolk in the center of the egg white, and wrap the white around the yellow ball. Form into an egg shape, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining candy; recipe makes about 16 eggs.

6. Place eggs in the refrigerator to chill until very firm, at least 1 hour. More if you can wait that long.

7. Once eggs are firm enough to dip, melt the chocolate chips with the shortening (Or the merkin's wafers) in a double boiler (or I suppose you could use a microwave, but be careful not to overcook the chocolate) and stir until the mixture is well-combined and smooth.

8. Dip the eggs into the chocolate using dipping tools or two forks. Replace them on the baking sheet and return to the refrigerator until entirely set, about 20 minutes.

9. You can leave them plain or decorate them. I recommend decorating with non-pareils BEFORE the coating is set in the refrigerator or decorating with Royal icing (fresh egg white recipe is best) AFTER the coating is set in the refrigerator.

EAT! And Enjoy...

Chocolate Peanut-butter eggs
Ingredients:

* 1.5-2 cups icing sugar
    * (3 ounces?) about 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
    * 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
    * 1/2 tsp vanilla
    * 1 tbsp hot water
    * 3 tbsp peanut butter
    * 1/8 tsp salt
    * 1 lb chocolate candy coating (Merkin's wafers)
    * 1/4 cup peanut butter chips (to decorate, optional)

Preparation:

1. Place the melted chocolate chips, cream cheese, vanilla, hot water, peanut butter, salt, and 1 cup of icing sugar in a bowl. Mix the ingredients with a mixer until the candy is well-mixed and smooth. This will be slightly smoother in beginnig than the fondant eggs as it has cream cheese in it.

2. Stop mixing and add an additional 1/2 cup of icing sugar. Mix the candy on low, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl (OFTEN), until it is entirely mixed and smooth. Check the texture of the candy: you want it to be firm enough to easily be shaped into an egg, but not too dry and stiff. If necessary, add more powdered sugar to get the right texture.

3. Using a spoon, scoop up a small amount of candy and roll it between your hands until it is an oblong egg shape. Place it on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and repeat with remaining candy until you have approximately two dozen eggs. (or more or less depending on the size you like)

4. Put the eggs in the refrigerator to firm up before you melt the chocolate candy coating. Place the chocolate in a double boiler OR in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in one-minute increments until melted, stirring after every minute to prevent overheating.

5. Once the chocolate is melted, dip the eggs in the chocolate and replace them on the foil-covered sheet.

6. If you want to decorate with peanut butter stripes, place the peanut butter chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Pour the melted chips into a ziploc bag, and cut a tiny hole in the corner. Decorate! Feel free to eat the leftover "frosting"Smiley

7.Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set. You should let these come to room temperature before eating... they're yummier that way if you can wait that long!

Well I hope everyone enjoys these recipes! I know we did!

~Teamama

** a good cup of tea or coffee is required when eating these eggs... they are SOOOOO sweet that you'll definitely need a hot drink to cut the sugar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Pushing Pixels with the Smudge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Sponge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Burn Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Dodge Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...