A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy-Peasy cat bed with tute!  (Read 2470 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_bed , tutorial , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 22, 2011 08:36:02 AM »

Your kitty will love you for making this enticing cat bed, and it cost me only two bucks - prolly will be the same for you if you have stuff around your house like I do...
Ingredients:

Two small blankets - throw size, can be quite ragged, as they are just stuffing. I used a crib quilt for one of mine, a lap throw for the other.  They were just in my linen closet, never being used.
One pillowcase- regular sized
A second pillowcase - either crib pillow sized or small square pillow size (my first purchase, fifty cents at Goodwill)
A length of elastic or any other substance like sewing tape, I failed to measure mine, but maybe used one and a half yards. I went to Goodwill to get what I thought was wide elastic. The label had come off the box. It turned out to be some odd maybe medical tape or something. i used it anyway and it worked fine.
A medium to large safety pin
The closures of your choice - I wanted to use snaps, but had none. I used what I had, which was hook and eye.
A roll of cello wrap, I got mine at the dollar store for, yup, a dollar. It will actually say Cello on it. Or you can use any other plastic you have around the house that MAKES NOISE WHEN TOUCHED, like crackle*crackle.  Cats adore it for some reason.
Assembly -

fold your first blanket, the smaller of the two if possible, and stuff into smaller pillowcase.

shove that into the bigger case. it will be your "base" for the cat to lie on.

Fold your second throw LENGTHWISE

Roll it into a long log shape, beginning at the two edges, so they are hidden when you look at the roll.

Form your log into a circle and pin ends together. Does not have to be very neat or catch all material - just keeps the ends basically together.   Your cat will not wrestle with the bed like a dog might, so it should not come off.

Beginning IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR LOG ROLL, NOT NEAR THE ENDS, wrap your elastic/tape/whathaveyou around and around your roll until it gets to the beginning again.

voila.

sew on the hook and eye, or snap or whatever to each end of elastic, and fasten together. Do not stretch your elastic much, or it will result in a misshapen roll.

My closure isn't even very pretty, but it just has to work.

insert your roll into the big case, on top of your base pillow.

Cut a piece of cello twice the size of your big case, fold in half, and insert into case, on top of roll.  I used double amount to make it extrie crinkly and my cat approved.

punch the pillow down a bit to form a nest area in the middle of your log roll circle. I chose not to put closures on the open end of my big pillowcase, but you certainly can, if you worry about the innards spilling out. Above all, do not put your cat in the bed or he/she will probably snub it, as that is how cats are. Just let her discover it.
That's it!  Hope you can make some use of this el-cheapo tute!     Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 03:31:20 PM »

Thank you for sharing the tutorial. What a great idea with the cellophane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011 09:30:01 PM »

I was wondering what was crinkling out in the living room! The cats seem to enjoy it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Step-By-Step Guide to Doing Your Own Applique
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...