A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sam the Turtle  (Read 530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErintheRed02
« on: April 21, 2011 08:35:24 PM »

My boyfriend had an awful, stressful day today and I figured I would make him up something real quick to surprise him with and hopefully cheer him up a bit.  We spent quite a chunk of time looking at crochet books before at the bookstore and he found a pattern for a cute little turtle and asked me if I would make him it.  I told him I could make up one for him from my own pattern, so I figured I would do that today for his cheer-up surprise!  On to pictures! (clickable thumbnails)

As you can see, Sam doesn't quite stand so much as he leans using his shell as a sort of kickstand, but it's all good!  I whipped him up in a couple of hours so he's small and simple, but oh so cute (in my opinion at least  Cheesy).

On my last post on the crochet boards I decided that, since I'm a zoology major, any post I make involving animals will be accompanied with some fun facts about the animal species so...

Did you know??
The upper part of a turtle's shell is called the carapace and the bottom part is called the plastron.  The scales that make up the part of the turtle shell we can see are called scutes and are made of keratin which is the same protein that forms a variety of structures in animals from mammalian hair to bird feathers and even the rhinoceros's horn!  Turtles are the only animal in which the scapula (shoulder blades) are located inside of the ribs.  The lungs of turtles are attached to the top of their shell which is why you should never hold a turtle upside down for extended periods of time (as all their other organs will compress their lungs!)  Almost all turtles have temperature dependent sex determination (TSD) in which the temperature at which the eggs are incubated at determines the gender of the offspring.

Hopefully everyone enjoys Sam and the fun facts.  Questions and comments are more than welcome! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011 08:36:04 PM by ErintheRed02 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafting Blog!
http://nerdyhooker.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest (that I actually use)!
http://pinterest.com/erinthered02/

My wist (always forget to use it but am working on it!):
http://www.wists.com/ErintheRed
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 12:58:11 AM »

Sam is very cute. I'm having difficulty imagining his shoulder blades inside his ribs though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Grilling Tips
How to Grill Steaks and Baked Potatoes
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
How to Make Healthy Homemade Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...