A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modest Barbie Clothes  (Read 4303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KimberleyDavis2B
« on: April 21, 2011 07:50:52 AM »

A friend of mine was lamenting on how skimpy all of Barbie's clothing is and how you can't find anything more appropriate. So she came to me and asked if I could alter the clothes for her. So I did! Here are a few of the outfits I altered. I'm actually having TONS of fun doing this!  I love to make fashion doll clothing from scratch too and I have tons of vintage patterns.  I love vintage patterns for people, dolls and toys.

Here is one outfit:

Here is another:

I've got a bunch more I am altering.  I don't have little girls so I had no idea how skimpy all those clothes are! I am not a prude, but seriously, some of those outfits are insane, AND expensive for the inch of fabric they use. heh

Kimberley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let a human being throw the energies of his soul into the making of something, and the instinct of workmanship will take care of his honesty."
Walter Lippmann
rauni
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011 07:58:10 AM »

What a great idea, I never thought to do that.  I too think Barbie is under-dressed most of the time, so this is a wonderful way to make her clothes much more appropriate.  Great job, by the way, you've got a good eye for this!

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
troll1984
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011 08:12:32 AM »

Awesome idea, and they look fab. My daughter isn't into Barbie yet (she's only 20 months) but this makes me glad I have almost my entire Barbie stash from the late 80's/early 90's. I don't remember the clothes being as skimpy then. The sad thing is that lots of parents dress their pre-teens this way too though. CNN just had an article about that a couple days ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
KimberleyDavis2B
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011 08:33:52 AM »

Thanks for the compliments! Smiley

I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was growing up.  Now I get to do it on a small scale for others! heh

I am saddened when I see the way pre-teens and teenagers dress these days.  They grow up too fast as it is.  My friend, the one I made these clothes for, is a Christian mom and felt that she would send the wrong message to her little girls if she let them play with clothing she would not approve of on the girls, or adults for that matter. Even if I had a perfect body I'd wear more clothing than those dolls wear! hehe

And it is true, they did not used to be so skimpy. Even the patterns today are for teeny tiny little things. That's one reason I also love the vintage barbie and fashion doll clothing patterns. I think you can be young and hip without wearing little more than a bikini.

Kimberley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let a human being throw the energies of his soul into the making of something, and the instinct of workmanship will take care of his honesty."
Walter Lippmann
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011 11:32:03 AM »

I don't have girls (two boys here) but I long for the Barbie clothes that my mother, aunt and even grandmother saved for us when we were little - we had a Barbie that has a beautiful tea-length a-line gown with a peter pan collar - obviously it made an impression since I still remember it all these years later! If I ever end up with a girl, I'll have to take to sewing Barbie clothes myself! You've done a fabulous job on these two outfits - I'd love to see more!
~Teamama
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
KimberleyDavis2B
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011 11:56:14 AM »

Thank you! I'll definitely post all the clothes I make from the vintage patterns.  They are from the early 50s and later, so those gorgeous dresses, pants, etc. will be included. I love making those clothes because you can use such a small amount of fabric that it really doesn't cost much to use beautiful stuff! Smiley

Kimberley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walter Lippmann
imera
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011 12:36:55 PM »

Really pretty, much better than the originals. I like the last dress a lot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InnerChildCrochet
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011 12:43:31 PM »

What a great idea! I'd love to see more of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog.innerchildcrochet.com <--I blog here
Crochet and knitting patterns and stuff --> innerchildcrochet.com
crochetvolution.com <-- I'm making a crochet webzine!!
momcuellar
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011 06:27:40 PM »

I crochet clothes for Barbie.  I find it hard to fit the extremely small waist and big chest.  I like the vintage crochet patterns, but find them hard to follow.

I love the additions to the dresses.  They make the originals look luxe and expensive.  I like the prom dress too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
KimberleyDavis2B
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011 06:32:19 PM »

This particular Barbie has a relatively small (meaning normal size for humans) chest.  She is an odd doll though, to me, because you can trade her HEAD for other heads.   I'd never heard of her, but then I haven't kept up with Barbie for many many years.

If you found this barbie, I think the crochet barbie clothes you are talking about would fit rather nicely. Smiley

Kimberley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walter Lippmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
John Lithgow Sings from I Got Two Dogs
Novelist Rachel Kushner Reveals Her Best Quality
Meet Author Joe Kanon
Laurie Halse Anderson Talk About Forge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...