A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 04/20/11 - Call for Artists: Craftster display @ CHA needs your mixed media  (Read 9120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2011 03:52:11 PM »

Craftster will have a display case at the CHA Summer Show in Rosemont, Illinois (a close suburb of Chicago) on July 21-24 and how can we represent Craftster without YOU!?

The theme for the show is "Craft Fusion" and it will focus on mixed media items, so for our display, we want to feature some of the amazing mixed media items that we see on Craftster every single day.  The people from the Super Show say this show is all about "combining a variety of materials in non-traditional ways".  Hell, Craftsters can do that in their sleep!  So help us show off all the fantastic things our community makes and offer up one of your fantastic mixed media creations!

Here are some Craftster projects that we think are exemplary of mixed media or "Craft Fusion". But of course, there are lots more items that would also fit.

Candy Coated (Shoes)
Antelope with Laserdisc: an exploration with stumpwork embroidery (PIC HEAVY)
freeform peyote and fiber cuffs
mixed media jewelry or a little of this and that.....
Photo Album & Scrapbooking Folder
Textile collage cuff
Wooden box with crocheted cherry blossoms + ACTION PICS!
Vintage "Scrabble" box purse

So what do I get out of this?
You get your items featured in Craftster's 4' by 6' display case to an audience of 30,000+ visitors to the show!  

Right before the show, all the items in the showcase will be listed in a poll and the item with the most votes will receive a prize of $200 in "show bucks". These are vouchers you can spend at the CHA Summer Show on July 21-24 in Rosemont, IL.  If you will be there, you can spend them however you like! If you're unable to make it, no worries.  I'll be there and I'll try to get you the good stuff! We'll send your goodies back with your item after the show.

We're also working out the specifics of up to two other ways to win prizes! Stay tuned!

How many items are you looking for?
We don't have a set number in mind. A lot will depend on the size of the items we pick, but we are estimating 20-25 items.

What kinds of items are you looking for?
We're looking for amazing creations that we feel really represent Craftster. Well made mixed media items that show off the creativity and craziness of our awesome community.

Are there any material requirements?
No! Ideally, your item combine "a variety of materials in non-traditional ways".  But hey, Craftsters do that in their sleep!

Are there any size requirements?
You'll need to be able to ship your item to us and we will pay to ship it back; so it needs to be of a reasonable size that won't break the bank for either one of us!  (If you're just dying to share your huge amazing project and you are near the Chicago area, maybe we can discuss shipping alternatives.)

Can I offer something I made a long time ago?
As long as you still have the item and it isn't damaged, then yea! Your items don't need to be brand new to be eligible. Good crafts don't have expiration dates. Wink

Do you have any preferences?
Yes. It's highly preferred that your item have a thread posted on Craftster.  Other than that, all things equal, we will give preference to items posted on Craftster with tutorials and items from Friends of Craftster.

Ok so how do I offer my item?!
Send an email to BOTH these addresses with the subject: CHA Offer
casey AT craftster.org
and
jean AT craftster.org

Please include a brief description of your item including some of the materials and techniques used, a link to the thread on Craftster (if applicable), and a few pictures (if none on Craftster).

We will review all of the offers and let you know our decision by NO LATER than June 7th (and potentially way before!).

What happens if my item is selected?
You'll need to ship your items to me (jungrrl) NO LATER than June 14th. That will give us plenty of time for any potential international shipping or shipping hold-ups.  We'll display your item at the Super Show from July 20th through the 24th. The show opens to the public on the 21st and if you can make it, come on by!  We will ship your item back to you shortly after the end of the show. If you win the prize, we'll spend your Show bucks on lots of cool items and send them back with your item (unless you can make it to the show, of course!).

What happens if my item isn't selected?
We'll let you know on or before June 7th if your item isn't selected.  Don't take it personally if your item isn't chosen! We only have a certain amount of space to fill and unfortunately we may not be able to accept everyone. We still love you, though!  Kiss

Questions? Ask away!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012 01:10:42 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011 04:15:11 PM »

This sounds like such a great opportunity! It will be great to see so many craftster projects exhibited in one place!

combine "a variety of materials in non-traditional ways".  But hey, Craftsters do that in their sleep!
Most definitely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011 04:38:25 PM »

This sounds fun! Any theme? And can we submit more that one project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011 04:52:23 PM »

that's exciting... I'm working on something right now that has a few different types of crafts.. It's felted, embroidered and appliqued and has a mini M&M's tube in it.... mixed media enough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011 05:03:01 PM »

OooOooo!  Neato mosquito!  Will there be a post showing all the selected pieces?  I know I'd love to see 'em and I bet others would, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011 05:04:51 PM »

Such a wonderful opportunity for our community!  I'm beyond excited to see all of the submissions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011 05:13:17 PM »

This sounds fun! Any theme? And can we submit more that one project?

yes and yes, but we will probably only pick one item per person if we get too many submissions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011 05:14:00 PM »

OooOooo!  Neato mosquito!  Will there be a post showing all the selected pieces?  I know I'd love to see 'em and I bet others would, too.

Yes! And you all will get to pick the winner of the $200 "showbucks" prize!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011 05:14:30 PM »

that's exciting... I'm working on something right now that has a few different types of crafts.. It's felted, embroidered and appliqued and has a mini M&M's tube in it.... mixed media enough?

Well yea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011 08:38:44 PM »

What an exciting group project!!  Can't wait to see everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 8/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 4/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 23/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 27/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 24/30
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...