A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reusable snack bags and insulated lunch bag  (Read 1061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: April 20, 2011 12:39:47 PM »

I'm planning on making some reusable snack bags and matching (or at least coordinating) insulated lunch bags for teacher appreciation week.  Here's the thing...I really want the inside of the snack bags to be vinyl or something waterproof(ish).  I'm thinking if you put something in it like peanuts, and it's all cotton, you're going to get grease stains.  I also thought it would be nice to be able to use them for things like carrots or something in it, vinyl or something wipeable would be best.  BUT I also want it to be machine washable.  And most vinyl I've seen is not.  What are my options?  PUL?  Anything else?  Also, I'd like to make the insulated lunch bag with the same lining.  But how do I insulate it?  Is insul-brite for cold too or just hot?  Any other suggestions before I dive in?  I've never made either of these things before but I've made tons of bags and purses so I think I can handle the construction once I figure out the right materials.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011 02:17:26 AM »

I can't recommend any fabrics, but a removable liner might solve the problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
AshtonagoL
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011 06:28:47 AM »

Thanks.  I may have to do something like that.  I did a lot more research and the only thing wipeable and machine washable I can find is PUL.  But everything I read says it may not be foodsafe.  I also read that you can use a ziploc freezer bag and you can wash it as long as you don't dry it.  I can't believe there aren't more foodsafe options out there!  The only reason I am insistent on the entire thing being machine washable is that I know how I am.  I'll get food on the outside where it's all cotton, lol.  Maybe I can just make the inside and out something wipeable.  Thanks for your suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ntaga
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011 10:40:42 AM »

I've seen several laminated cottons which were advertised as "food safe".  Two examples...

http://www.fabricworm.com/mimilacobigr.html
http://www.hartsfabric.com/vinyl-coated-floral-cotton-fabric56234.html

I have been able to wash items made with laminated cotton, but I don't put them in the dryer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011 10:55:17 AM »

Thanks ntaga!  I've looked at a few laminated cottons but skipped over them because they weren't machine washable.  Maybe I'll give them a try.  I washed a lot of our store bought lunch bags and they've been ok.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ntaga
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011 01:21:28 PM »

I noticed the Harts Fabric site above says the fabric should not be machine washed, but I found several others that said it could be done.  I didn't even think to look at the washing instructions before I did so.  The laminate does wrinkle slightly, but I used a pressing cloth and an iron to remove the wrinkles.  Here's another source about washing: http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/2009/11/18/laminated-cotton-sewing-tips/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011 06:45:25 AM »

What about just a nylon lining? That should be plenty of protection for what most folks keep in a snack bag. Though, you can was just about anything as long as you don't use hot water and you air dry it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Control Tension in Crochet
How to Crochet Lesson 1
How to Triple Crochet
How to Double Crochet
How to Half Double Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...