A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there any need to set the twist with a synthetic fiber?  (Read 1177 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: April 19, 2011 10:25:27 AM »

I just finished spinning a faux cashmere yarn.  It's 100% nylon.  Is there actually a need to set the twist on it?  I'm thinking nylon isn't going to have a memory the way that wool does.  It's not overspun, actually nicely balanced, so I don't need to soak it to relax the twist either.

Think I can just crochet it on up, or do I need to set the twist?  I'm thinking setting the twist is probably not needed, but I've never spun a synthetic before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011 02:35:10 PM »

I wasn't really finding any good info online, so I contacted Paradise Fibers customer service.  They weren't sure about whether setting the twist was necessary or not with the 100% nylon fiber, but said it wouldn't hurt anything to do it.

So...I did my own experiment, and figured out the answer for myself!  I realized I could just experiment with one little length of yarn instead of jeopardizing the whole skein.  I plied my yarn with thread to get a kind of faux boucle effect.  In the pic below, the section of yarn to the left of the black spool of thread was set with steam.  The section of yarn to the right of the purple spool of thread was set with hot water.  The section in the middle did not have the twist set at all.  Check out the crazy corkscrew-type action of the yarn once the twist was set!  It's like a faux boucle gone wild.

So the answer is, YES -- you must set the twist on synthetic fibers!!!  I was thinking of using this for a baby sweater and I hate to think of what would have happened if I'd crocheted the sweater without setting the twist, and then blocked the sweater later.  I'm thinking the final result would be a lot different that I imagined.  (PS - sorry for the cruddy flash pic, but it's cloudy and thinking of snowing today.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011 06:06:01 PM »

Nikschaf,
I wonder what would happen if you set the twist with cold or warm water?  Would the yarn get all twisty like it did with steam or hot water? And i wonder why the yarn set with steam or hot water got all twisty?  Did the fiber melt or shrink to cause this?

I would probably crochet a sample and wash/block the sample piece to see what it does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011 06:32:12 PM »

MLF -- I think it's twisty because of the way I plied.  I was intentionally almost doing coils, because I wanted a lot of texture with the yarn.

I used hot, because when I was searching I came across a lot of info about nylon yarn used for carpeting, and several sources said that steam or very hot water is necessary to set the twist.

I might try just warm water and see if it's any different.  I think what happened is that the fiber kind of bloomed, and as it did it exaggerated the coil-like form I'd put into it during plying.  I think if I'd just done a straight-forward 2-ply with both yarns being the nylon that it would have just puffed up.  Just a guess.  I've still got several more ounces of the fiber I haven't worked with yet so I can try different stuff later and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011 06:34:46 PM »

PS -- I should say I was happy and kind of excited about the results.  I wasn't expecting any reaction at all from the synthetic fiber.  And, I was going for a lot of texture, and that's what I've got -- a LOT of texture!  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011 07:31:11 PM »

I saw the bloom (it's gorgeous!)

So, your first ply looked pretty balanced, then you plied with thread?  Plying would remove some of the twist.  I would how it would look if you soaked it (for the bloom), then plied it.

Oh the possibilities!!  Just another reason I love fiber arts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011 07:39:01 PM »

My single was a teensy bit overtwisted, not bad.

Then I plied the single with both threads at the same time, making a 3-ply, and intentionally adding that boucle-like coil to the single as I was plying with the thread.  That 3-ply seemed very well-balanced as I pulled it from the bobbin -- it didn't kink back up on itself or twist at all.  Then I set the twist after that.  When I set the twist, the yarn didn't shrink, really, but these really pronounced coils formed within a matter of seconds, which were an exaggeration of the coils I'd purposely put in there.  I can still pull the yarn straight and it's the original length, it's just like a spring!  But not over- or underspun, just an exaggeration of the texture I put in there.  Very strange, but very cool at the same time.

It would be interesting to see what it would be like to set the twist on a single first.  Seems like you might be able to manipulate this fiber in a lot of different ways!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011 08:12:32 PM »

Eureka!!  I figured it out!!  All the fake cashmere fiber did was bloom when I set the twist.  It bloomed the same in steam, hot water, tepid water, and cold water.

What's making it so springy is one of the threads I used to ply!!  You might not be able to see, but there is a magenta thread running through the middle of the yarn.  It's Woolly Nylon serger thread.  It's quite stretchy.  When I was plying, it would have been under tension, so stretched to the max.  Now that it's not under tension, it's bounced back to its original length, just like an elastic thread would do.

So there' s nothing strange or funky about the fiber -- I just made an elastic yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011 06:33:08 AM »

How cool is that? It makes perfect sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

blackie.sage
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011 02:13:03 PM »

I was JUST gonna google this.

I've been spinning yarn from scraps of "silk" scarves, and most of them are nylon. I was wondering if I needed to set the twist on it... and I've found my answer! Woo!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Pinup-Girl Hairstyle
Salon Solutions for Frizzy Hair
Hair How To: Victory Rolls
How to Curl Your Hair Using a Flat Iron
Hairapy Ep 108: Leah
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...