A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Sketchbook Project 2012. Discount coupon code in first post!  (Read 54738 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2012 08:41:27 PM »

While I'm still working under the assumption that mine won't get done, I did manage to go thru and put a base coat of gesso on all of the pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
TheMadMel

Meh... Just start cutting!

« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2012 10:47:29 PM »

Flo, I really like what you have so far.

It's January... EEEEP! My book is still blank and my office is still full of boxes  Cry
I seriously doubt I'm going to get mine done. I know I was able to pull the last one out of my butt at the last minute, but the odds are NOT in my favor this time around.
The odds of me getting to participate in the Limited Edition are just as slim. Boo! I don't want to miss the bus on this one.

I still have a sliver of hope left that I can uncover my office and pull this off at the last minute... but that is a seriously tiny sliver of hope.  Sad

*so* bummed about it right now. I will call forth this bummedness tomorrow and use it to fuel my productivity (I hope).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sketchbook Project 2011 Tour - "Adhere to Me"
A Million Little Pictures - "The Great Adventures of"
"My NEW blog!"
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2012 06:08:27 AM »

I keep reminding myself that I don't need to make as big of a project as I'd first dreamt of.  I could still do my theme in fewer pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2012 05:38:37 PM »

Your pages are fantastic, beatrixhall! I really love the burrowers.

Ditto!

And, I had grand plans for my sketchbook, and then I came up with a slimmed down idea. But, it was too slimmed down and I couldn't get excited about it.

So, I've decided to use my "It's a Sketchbook" theme and make it a sketchbook of trees. I have the book Drawing Lab and the Usborne Book of Art Skills, which both have some neat ideas and techniques. So, I'm going to practice the techniques that interest me by drawing trees.

I like trees...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2012 07:53:50 PM »

I like trees...

this made me lol.  But I love it.  I like trees too.

I really don't think I'm going to finish this.  so lame of me.  Unless I just start randomly doodling on the pages I painted.  I'm definitely not getting any needlelace windows in there tho.  Maybe I'll just finish it the way I wanted to on my own time.  It wont make the show, but at least it will be done right.   Kinda sad tho.  Sad  I KNEW  i'd be stressed with getting my spinning homework done at this point too.. why oh WHY! did I procrastinate!!?!?!!! sigh....  (Note: I had my spinning homework for just as long as I've had my sketchbook.  Also Note:  I'm just as far in my spinning homework as I am in my sketchbook....  So much to do, so little time... )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Flo_
loves making an inky, painty mess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: January 05, 2012 06:31:08 AM »

CraftADDchick - I really like the sound of your idea to draw trees using various different techniques.  I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

I sympathise with those of you who are wondering if or how you are going to get this darned project finished in time I was totally feeling the same way and did consider throwing the towel in a few weeks ago but I feel like I have finally broken the back of it now, and in fact having invested so much time in it now already I am DETERMINED to finish it in time!  Plus I am permanently short of cash and would never forgive myself for having wasted all that money!

Of course it is easier for me to finish at this point than some of you guys as I already have over half of it completed.

I finally sat down and worked on the most difficult two pages in my book over the Christmas break one deals with the period of my marriage, and another with my subsequent breakdown.  I realised having finished these two spreads, when it felt like a weight lifted off me, that these pages were why I had been procrastinating so with my book.  I didnt really want to deal with the memories, I guess.  So I am glad they are done.  The rest of the book (I still have I think 6 double page spreads to do plus the covers and binding) will be plain sailing as they are all about happy things woohoo!  Im a slow worker though so I reckon Im still going to be sailing perilously close to the deadline..

Pages 14 & 15 - a difficult subject matter (the violent marriage) but from a purely visual point of view I like how this page turned out.  I cut a stencil of a fist and sprayed it with all different colours of spray paint.  And then drew the old me kind of all huddled up in the corner - and I can't draw for toffee so I thought that turned out well.

Pages 16 & 17 - pity the scan hasn't picked up the background properly on this one, it's got this lovely holographic glitter all over the black bits, looks fab in real life.  Ah well.  This shows me kind of falling into a big rainbow spiral which is what my little break with reality kind of felt like.  I always thought a nervous breakdown would be all awful all the time, but I was pretty happy during most of mine.  Mad as a box of frogs, but happy Smiley  I almost miss it.....   The rainbow was drawn with watercolour crayons.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012 08:03:10 AM by _Flo_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello from England Smiley

from a rock chick - geocacher - ice hockey fanatic - postcrosser - CRAFTSTER!

My Blog | My Pinterest 

Sketchbook Project 2012 theme 'Along The Line'
beatrixhall
« Reply #456 on: January 05, 2012 07:27:57 AM »

Thanks, Everyone!

Flo, I appaud your courage in making and sharing those pages. What a great thing it is that making art about terrible things in our lives can be cathartic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_Flo_
loves making an inky, painty mess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2012 07:34:58 AM »

easy to share with people you don't know in real life Smiley

but I don't dare put my sketchbook project book on my blog as my dad reads it!

I really should have thought all that through beforehand - as I would have liked for my dad and sister to come to see the book tour in London when it comes around.  I should have chosen a more inoffensive subject matter Smiley

But I liked the idea of getting it all (my less than ideal childhood and all the crap that followed) onto paper and sent away to America, as a kind of closure.....

Next year I'll do a book about bunnies and kittens and then my dad can see Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello from England Smiley

from a rock chick - geocacher - ice hockey fanatic - postcrosser - CRAFTSTER!

My Blog | My Pinterest 

Sketchbook Project 2012 theme 'Along The Line'
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: January 05, 2012 10:42:24 AM »

_Flo_, your book is not only personal and meaningful, but it's beautifully executed as well. Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
schnerby
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2012 07:22:28 PM »

So my book is packed up and ready to go.

I made the covers and cut, ironed and hemmed the calico pages but I was waiting on my content. I undertook a photography project in a Delhi slum where the kids (14 boys aged 10-13) took photos with disposeable cameras and I had them developed. These were the first photos the kids had taken and formed their families only photo albums. The photos were candid, beautiful and showed what the kids valued (family, friends, neighbourhood, their TV and their shrines/temples mostly).

I sewed photos into the book with a quick intro about what the kids had done. This was a highely rewarding project and I'm so glad I did it.

I'm very close to the 1 inch thickness thing, although if you hold it in your hand it goes down below one inch. It's only over if sitting flat on a table. I really hope that won't be a problem!

Here's some pics of the final construction. The blue fabric was block printed by a woman in the same slum so it felt good to include that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to buy an Engagement Ring - Part 5
How to buy an Engagement Ring - Part 2
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 4
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 3
Audio Technica AT2020 Microphone Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...