A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need RAK advice  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011 08:22:05 AM »

hey all, i have an idea... it hasn't gotten the greatest reception over on ravelry, but i thought i'd ask you lovelies.

in short, i'd like to leave little simple shawl kits (yarn, needles, instructions) around town with big "take me, i'm free" tags on them. i'd include basic knitting skills and resources like the local yarn stores. i live in a quasi-smallish town (a college town, but we have a really intimate campus/downtown setting), and given the demographic i thought maybe the kits had a pretty good chance of success...

a few people objected that there are more efficient ways to reach the less fortunate, basically saying i should just knit and donate to a shelter instead, that most people wouldn't bother to pick up a kit. my answer to that was that i'm not necessarily trying to to a charity cause - there are plenty of economically viable people with problems of their own, maybe they're dealing with depression, death or illness in the family, or just need a pick-me-up - and i thought leaving these kkits could be a doorway for someone into a lifelong activity with so many benefits.

and of course, it'd have to be clear plastic bags.

what do you all think? am i out of my mind? or should i give it a shot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gnatshopping
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 07:41:24 PM »

I think that it would be an awesome thing to do.  I wonder if you could research further what areas of town look like good places for these kits... they might do better in some places in others.  I know crafting always makes me smile!  I feel so strongly about this- this is the first reply I have ever left on Craftster- I normally just creep- I had to tell you I think your idea is inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ky-Lara
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011 05:22:44 PM »

I think this is cool!  I would SOOO pick up a kit with a "I'm FREE" sign on it.  I would leave a few around and stay close to watch and see if anyone looked at it, etc.  You could leave one in a coffee shop and sit near by and watch what happened.  You could leave it on a bench in a busy area of the park.  You need to come up with a catchy name like CraftCharity, CraftActivitivism, CraftActivist, CraftAdvocate, CraftWarrior, CraftPeddler, CraftVisionary, CraftZealot, CraftEnthusiast, CraftFanatic, CraftChampion, CraftEvangelist, CraftPatron, CraftPimp, CraftPusher, CraftExtremist, CraftApostle.  Make a little logo, put it on the bag and go for it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 06:48:38 PM »

Love the idea but I wonder if just leaving them anywhere might not cross paths with enough folks who'd pick it up?  Maybe you could leave them near women's centers, youth centers,  college counseling or health centers, nursing homes, etc?  I'd hate that the great kits don't get to the folks who'd use them.  Thank you for RAKing these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rat Your Hair
How to Make Thin Hair Look Lush
Making Dreadlocks
How to Make an Avocado Mask for Dry Hair
How to Make a Quick Homemade Hair Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...