A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple cake decorating suggestions?  (Read 341 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaz2phreek
« on: April 18, 2011 08:36:36 PM »

For my boyfriend's birthday, I wanted to get him a train themed ice cream cake, based on a fond childhood memory he shared with me the other day. So far, I'm having trouble finding a place that offers a train theme option. While I'm looking into several options to try to find a professional in my area who can do it, so far, no luck. So I am working on a back up plan, which is get a plain ice cream cake & decorate it myself. The thing is I have no idea where to start to know what kind of things to look for. So, anyone out there have some suggestions?

I have seen train cake pans. Is making an ice cream cake hard? Maybe I should try that...

Any advice or guidance is appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 12:43:47 AM »

i've never eaten or made icecream cake so i'm no help there i'm afraid, does it Have to be icecream cake? or could it be a different type of cake? i remember my mam making a steam train cake for my brother's birthday one year, she used a chocolate swiss roll for the round bit of the engine, cut up sheet cakes to make the square parts (and carriages) then balanced the pieces on mini chocolate rolls for the wheels
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Cealy
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 02:38:39 PM »

Im glad I popped on today so I can answer your question.

I use to work at Dairy Queen and Ice cream cakes are not hard to make. The only issue I can see you having is losing the detail when you flip it out of the train pan. you would have to dip the pan in hot water to get it out. At DQ we used a bottomless/topless pan so you never had to flip it out of anything just slip the ring off of it.

What I would suggest is, get yourself a round spring form pan (put it in the freezer for a day if you can before you make the cake) and flip the top to the bottom. Using a cake board plate on the bottom soften what ever flavour you are making it out of just enough that you can easily spread it to the sides. If you are planning to cover the cake in fondant you can take it right to the edge, if not get some vanilla and spread it all around the edge first (about a half inch) spread it to the top of the spring pan. Then put the flavoured icecream in the centre. If you want to make it multi layered, you can put one layer in then cookie crumbs, nuts etc in next then put it in the freezer to get the bottom layer a bit hard before you add the softened second layer. Do this until you get to a half inch before the very top. Using vanilla put your final layer on top and use a icing spatula to smooth it. Freeze it again-preferably for a few hours.
If you want to put a train picture on top, you can usually find inexpensive projector machines (or if you know a teacher that can borrow one from a school) that you can use to put the picture on the cake. Take a clear over head sheet and trace the train onto it. use that picture to project the image onto the cake tracing the projected lines with black gel and a fine line tip. Black gel you ask...piping gel with black icing colour added to it. Once you have it traced, pop it back in the freezer again. Use this time to mix all the gel colours to fill in the traced train. Using a fine tip fill in all the blank spaces in your tracing. It will last a couple weeks in the freezer so long as you put it in a box of some sort to keep it from getting banged around.
Hope this helps, if you need any more help send me a message!
Cealy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Wakko
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Yakko
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Dot
How to Build LEGO Minicon Safeguard
Betty Woodman, Max Protech Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...