A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ga Ga for Grannies Granny Square Swap (Sign ups: 4/18 - 5/3, Send outs: 6/6/11)  (Read 11478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crafty Butterfly

Everythin's shiny Cap'n

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011 09:40:56 AM »

From the first post, it looks like this is for crocheted grannies only, not knit ones...

but there are questions on the questionaire about whether you can make and would prefer to recieive crochet and or knit squares.

I'm eager to know more about what will qualify as a granny square for this swap. Is it just the good old fashioned basic one that was linked in the original post or could any 7 inch knitted or crocheted square work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011 09:43:23 AM »

Ah, good point!  I haven't filled out the questionnaire and must not have read it thoroughly. Good catch!

I'm also curious as to what we're counting as "granny squares" here, because in my mind, that is a very specific pattern (and shape!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Temperamental
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011 09:53:37 AM »

I'm quite excited. The boyfriend was like you have to make how many squares?  Shocked

I can't think of a better swap for my second time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Getting my life together. Going to have to take a break from Craftster for a bit.
Silver_McAdams
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011 10:45:52 AM »

i would really like to be a part of this swap, but im not sure if i will have time...we will see closer to the deadline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011 01:02:28 PM »

I put on my questionnaire that I wanted solid colored granny squares, crocheted, basic granny squares. I hope I wasn't too picky.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
Gspinn

Crafting a girl's best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011 01:33:11 PM »

I'm considering this swap for sure, will make a 7 inch granny tonight to see how long it would take me to make 30. Do people tend to prefer squares made out of all one yarn or are squares where the color changes every round good too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clumsy_momma
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011 03:19:28 PM »

If you look at ravelry under the knitted afghan squares, there's a million ways to knit a square that won't roll. There's tons of intricate patterns that would go well with crocheted squares. I would think that the lines would match up, I don't know much about crochet to tell you that one. I love all of the different motifs and whatnot that crocheters make, but I can't crochet for the life of me...Strictly a knitter which is why I'm waiting for a little bit before I decide about joining this swap.

I think I want to join this swap. Just a few questions, though...

1.  What pattern do we use for a knitted square? My very limited experience in knitting is that a straight knit stitch will cause your work to roll inside itself. What stitch would I use to prevent that?

2. With swapping both knit and crochet squares, do the stitches line up correctly when trying to sew them together? Or are we going to have a knitters group and a crocheters group?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
clumsy_momma
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011 03:21:15 PM »

On the questionarre, it asks if you want different motifs or not, so I'm assuming its based on preference.

To clarify: is this for Granny Squares, specifically, or for any square motif?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011 04:52:43 PM »

I'm considering this swap for sure, will make a 7 inch granny tonight to see how long it would take me to make 30. Do people tend to prefer squares made out of all one yarn or are squares where the color changes every round good too?

I would be happy with solid colored squares or squares where the color changes every round...so long as the yarn itself is a solid color and not variegated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011 06:40:56 PM »

Allow me to clarify on the what constitutes as a granny square question:

A basic granny square is the pattern that I linked to in the first post. The basic granny is the jumping off point for this swap. Now, if you are open to recieving a different square motif or a knitted square (as long as it meets the size requirements) chose the appropriate answers in the questionnaire. Then as a crafter, if you get a partner that is open to recieving those types of squares, you have the option of creating those for your partner.

Now, if you are strictly a knitter and wanting to join this swap, I have a suggestion. Wait until close to the close of sign ups and messsage me. I can take a look at the participants questionnaires and see if there is enough swappers open to knitted squares to go around.

On color choices, there seem to be a lot of variety so far in the  turned in questionnaires. Some are more specific but for the most part its still a broad range and are more guidelines than anything.

I hope this helps. If not please keep asking questions! I will do my best to answer them for you!

BabyCakes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Korean Barbecue Rib Eye "Bulgogi" Recipe
How to Make Korean Sushi
How to Make Korean Spinach Side Dish Recipe
How to Make Cod Fish in Soy Sauce Marinade Recipe
How to Make Korean Vegetable Omelette Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...