A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Activities for people with dementia (and other disabilities related to aging)???  (Read 2628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bkgmail
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011 05:49:10 PM »

I noticed this was posted back in April, it's now Nov. 30th, but hopefully you are still checking in. First, I wanted to say that I was blessed with an 'Oma' too  Wink You are very thoughtful and kind to be thinking of creative outlets that she would enjoy. She's lucky to have you.
Have you thought about 'finger knitting'? Full Disclosure: I just heard of this and don't know anything about it other than it was suggested as an activity for myself (I have an illness/disability that confines me much like your Oma) and my 6 year old son that we could do together snuggled in bed Wink This friend is a crafty person, and knows of my limited mobility, cognitive difficulties (e.g. hard to follow patterns now ;( ), and lack of fine motor skills. She also knows how I treasure my time with my son-shine, and thought it might be a fun project. Other than that, I have not yet researched the how-to's on 'finger knitting', but I'm hopeful it will be something that we can both do together with minimal frustration. Best wishes to you and your Oma!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warm Fuzzies!
Amber Rose

Crafting is my happy time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012 07:24:06 PM »

I worked with a age care home back in Australia by running craft groups. The women really enjoyed making cards for Christmas, Easter and anything else. I would supply the cards, stickers, stamps and precut pictures for them to glue on. They enjoyed making the cards a lot, but i think they got the real kick from sending them to their families.
There was one woman in particular who became very upset because she had no house work to do (her room was cleaned for her daily and all washing was also done for her) and before she came to the home was a real worker and would do everything for herself. To help her feel a sense of worth, we let her fold hand towels and polish the door nobs in the recreation room. After that she would always appear much happier which is always good  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012 11:05:24 PM »

two things are very important here- 1) your grandmother needs to feel like she is making good use of her time. and 2) your grandmother needs activities to keep her mind 'limber'.
There are a ton of books out there, for working with kids, and developmentally disabled adults. Please understand, I am not saying your grandmother is either BUT these are usually crafts that can be done with 'clumsy fingers' and don't take too long to complete. I really like the ideas of making greeting cards and/or a scrapbook. Coloring pages are good too. Anything to keep her mind active. I had a Gerontology professor who taught his dad (who had dementia) to play the guitar. As he put it "My pop was never gonna be Jimi Hendrix, but he did learn Mary Had A Little Lamb and Frere Jacques. Most of all, he had fun."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Review on the Nikon 18-200mm Lens
Review on the Entire Nikon D-SLR Lineup
Review on the Nikon D80
How Mega Pixels Affect Print Size
Review of the Nikon D80, D40, D40X and D60
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...