A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Activities for people with dementia (and other disabilities related to aging)???  (Read 2820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FoxInDocs
« on: April 18, 2011 12:49:11 AM »

Hello Ladies and gents,

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed the most likely spot, although it's a little in reverse to what's usually in here.

I'm looking for some ideas for some activities for elderly people in general, and also specifically for my Oma (grandmother).

When she was younger, my Oma was very active and useful. she enjoyed sewing clothes, knitting, crochet, cooking and gardening... and she was phenomenally good at it, i rarely saw her use a recipe, and i'm pretty sure she didn't actually know how to read sewing or knitting patterns... she was just so clever and creative and made the most beautiful things for all of her family.

Now, however, she's 93 years old, she's wheelchair bound, has arthritis in her hands, and suffers mild dementia. She's well cared for in a lovely nursing home, and is a favourite with all her nurses, but she often complains of being bored and feeling useless. She's never been an overly social person, so the group activites in the home don't really interest her much, and alot of the other residents are not capable of conversation anyway.

So, i'm looking for ideas for simple crafts and activites that she can do on her own at her little table in her room.

I've found some nice colouring pages of things that might remind her of her youth (as i've read that reminiscing is helpful in the relief of dementia symptoms), such as flowers, farm animals, and religious icons, and i'll get her some nice big coloured pencils that she should be able to hold on to.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011 02:07:47 AM by FoxInDocs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 08:36:06 PM »

Hmmm, something with bigger pieces that would be easy for her to pick up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
crafts4others
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 01:17:36 PM »

this isn't craft related but there is a magazine which she may enjoy called reminisce. I enjoy the magazine along with my grandmothers. http://www.reminisce.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kuckyjune

A pox? How delightful, a pox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 03:27:48 PM »

Maybe those jigsaw puzzles with the large pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endymion

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011 07:07:34 AM »

Maybe collage? Could you get a piece of poster board, cover it with adhesives, and then she could decorate it with various punched shapes (punched out by you, since her arthritic hands might not be able to do that) and other cutout pictures?

Same thing with felt pieces -- she could use pre-cut pieces to decorate a plain bag (just gluing them on).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gr33nT3a
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011 02:50:29 PM »

I agree cutting would be really hard but if you cut out a bunch of pictures for her to use in various ways it shouldn't be too hard to wield a glue stick.

You could give her poster board like others have said, or you can give her card stock folded to make cards or something. You could give her stamps for this too. You can never go wrong with stamps and I've seen them popping up in big lots on craigslist and yardsales and stuff. Seems like a lot of scrapbookers are destashing lately. You could also give her those 12X12 pages to decorate and add them to a scrap book. If reminiscing is good you could copy old photos for her to use as well.

You could also try finger/hand painting. It would be messy but that way she wouldn't have to worry about gripping a brush or anything. Or if the arthritis isn't too bad you could fashion her a brush or sponge brush that would be easy for her to use.

Also, what about making beaded necklaces? If you fashioned the string/wire in a way that the beads couldn't fall off the bottom she could figure out how to arrange and bead the necklace. Then when she's done, you or someone else could help with putting on the clasps or just tying the ends together.

There are also a lot of craft books out there that are geared towards young children that I think you could twist to work for you. The craft books for younger kids take into account little kid's lack of control of their fine motor skills so you could get a lot of ideas from them.

If she liked to sew you could make it easier for her by making pre-cut, pre punched kits to be assembled. Felt should be easy to work with because it doesn't really need to be hemmed or anything. You could make little bags and things for her and punch out holes where she should sew. This way she doesn't have to worry about having to force the needle through fabric, but can still create something really fun and decorate it however she wants. Below is a link where they use foam so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/05/11/a-first-sewing-project/
You can obviously make it more complicated than this, but I wanted you to see what I meant!

Good on you looking out for your loved ones. It sounds like you love and care for her very much. I hope these ideas can be of some use for you. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
ChelseaMae
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011 01:45:28 PM »

I am a Life Enrichment Manager for individuals with dementia/Alzheimer's Disease in Louisville, KY.  Order an Alzheimer's Resource Kit for your grandmother from http://www.sehealth.org/foundation/SoutheastHEALTH.aspx?nd=400 .  They are free due to donations and grants and come with Twiddles, which are amazing for keeping cold and hardworking hands busy and warm.

I made stationery on Tuesday with a resident using 1/2 cup of water, a teaspoon of sugar, dish soap, and food coloring.  You blow bubbles with a straw in a bowl of these ingredients and have her place the paper/envelope in the bubbles.  She can give these to loved ones as a gift and they can, in turn, write her letters, helping her feel less isolated.

She's a lucky lady to have a granddaughter trying to help her hands keep busy and happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chez artiste
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011 01:56:58 PM »

I think decoupage is always a lovely way to decorate that does not take a great deal of skill, as long as there is someone who can cut nearby to help.  You could even make it personal by making copies of photos of your Oma's family and friends and special places or images of things that she enjoy(ed) doing in her life.  You could decorate a canvas or find other items to decorate, such as frames or boxes, that she could give away or keep in her room to help stimulate memories.  One time I had an art class I taught decorate the frame of a mirror, encouraging them to find images that reflect how they saw themselves, how others see them, or how they believe God sees them.  To finish, you can add small found objects, glitter, beads, or other items that would give it some dimension and might be fun for your grandmother to manipulate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinnieMay9
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011 09:21:28 AM »

One of my friends has a mother with really bad arthritis.  She also used to love doing all the things your grandmother did!  She finds though, that she can still knit some using one of the knitting looms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
redredrogue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011 04:04:59 PM »

How about scrapbooking? It might be a nice way for her to record memories and you could incorporate her interests with themed sticker sets and stamps.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm frightened by the devil, and I'm drawn to those ones who ain't afraid.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
How to Make a Nude Color Block Necklace
How to Use Crystal Clay and Swarovski Chatons
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...