A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with yarn types  (Read 505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LollyPopRage
Happy Homemaker

I love to cook, crochet, and spoil my hubby <3

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2011 08:03:43 PM »

Ever buy a type of yarn based on the look and feel of it? That's what I've done. I recently purchased a large skein of Bernat Baby Bouclé in dust pink for the birth of my friend's baby coming in May. The yarn feels so soft, looks beautiful both in color and these smaller 'poofs' of the same color, almost like someone stuck mini balls of cotton candy on it! I chose it rather than the plain looking though soft yarn next to it.

I was excited to go home and make a blanket using one of the many patterns I had saved for the occasion. The only problem was when I got ready to start. The first pattern called for a small hook, and this yarn was not cooperating with it. So I tried the next pattern, which allowed me much more freedom in hook and blanket size. Using a K size hook, I chained the size I wanted, no problem, then I was to turn and go into specific stitches. This is where I realized I should have gone with the other yarn. I couldn't see the loops at all! I could find it with my hook but when it came to locating the fifth or whatever I could not for the life of me see it. I have to wear glasses, probably need new ones, but I didn't think it would cause much trouble.

While a little disappointed that I can't use the patterns I want without spending much more time on it than I planned (I wanted to send this to her before she had the baby, most likely won't happen with pretty patterns) so instead I'm chaining back and forth with simple stitches. It's coming along nicely, I love the feel and will probably add a nice border with my other yarns and perhaps a flower or two for something different.

Luckily I think I'll be able to use up all this yarn on the blanket, no spoiled situation for me this time. Have you had difficulties with the 'perfect' yarn or issues you didn't foresee after getting home and ready to do start your project? What did you do with the yarn or plans you had? I'd love to hear some stories and see if you had good outcomes or bad experiences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always looking for something to keep me busy.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011 06:40:22 AM »

Ah, yarn can be tricky!

If you're looking to use a different yarn for a pattern than it calls for, your best bet for good results is to match the hook to the yarn, and not to the pattern.  If you're unsure what size hook to use, it's time to swatch - perhaps start with the size given on the ball band, and try various sizes from there (usually you get the best results by going up in hook size from what the ball band says, but this isn't *always* the case - it depends on what kind of fabric you're looking for).  Once you find a good hook for the yarn, you'll need to adjust the pattern accordingly.

Boucle yarns can be quite tricky!  Those puffs look neat, but they make it hard to see what you're doing (also, ripping stitches out can be almost impossible!).

With boucle, and any other not-smooth yarn I think, your best bet is to stick with the simplest of stitch patterns.  Fancy stitch patterns will be lost, so it's best to let the yarn do the work when it comes to looking fancy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LollyPopRage
Happy Homemaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011 04:42:04 PM »

Yes, this was the issue I had. I haven't been crocheting very long when I picked out the yarn, and since I bought the jumbo skein I decided to just go with what it was letting me do. I don't feel comfortable returning items to the store unless there's a real issue. The blanket is coming out nicely though and it has been a learning experience. Next time, I'll get a yarn that is much more versatile. At least I know a baby isn't going to care one way or another as long as it's full and warm.

Thank you for your input fantasticmio!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011 05:00:46 PM »

The up side to boucle yarn is, it's nearly impossible to see any mistakes. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LollyPopRage
Happy Homemaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011 05:05:17 PM »

Not unless you lean really close and spend quite some time trying to do so! I've skipped some stitches already, luckily caught it before I finished -Hm, why is it starting to curl?- After some careful and frustrating pulled stitches done mostly by stretching out the others, I fixed it. But I didn't notice it just by sight. It's wonderfully soft and coming along nicely, can't wait to get it finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calaren
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011 11:31:16 PM »

I've been crocheting for over 20 years, and I still can't handle boucle or fun-fur type yarns well at all. Sad I'm crocheting a stuffed cat right now for the daughter of a pen pal in India using some old Unger Crocus that I found a a local flea market, and it's torture!! The yarn is a beautiful blend of pastels and super soft - perfect for a 3 year old, but it's a nightmare to work with. I just kind of guess where my stitches should go and so far it's turning out OK.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fringey
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011 12:32:49 PM »

I have the same problem with fun fur and boucle yarns. If I use a slightly larger hook then I might otherwise it's easier to see the stitches but I still won't use it for a full pattern. I use it for small details or save it for knitting (it's a bit easier to knit with).

I have a tendency to wander into a yarn store and buy a few skeins of something that appeals to me so I almost never have the suggested yarn for my projects (I havn't yet made any garments, so the gauge isn't really an issue.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011 02:30:43 PM »

Hey all! I just discovered this forum (YAY!) so I may be a little late to the party..
I'm still pretty new to crochet so the first yarn I got was the cheap-o Peaches and Creme I got at Wally-world..not the greatest but I didn't want to get expensive yarn until my skills got a little better..
The yarn kept splitting on me (albeit, it was more to do with my way-too-tight beginners crochet)
the stitches always looked so mangled and messy.
Not too long after I got that yarn I saw some Lion Suede in a sale bin, the good thing was there was no yarn for me to split and I could see my stitches a little clearer but the suede almost locks itself in place and if you are still learning you need to be able to un-do it which was tough with the suede.

I had a breakthrough moment sitting on my sisters porch, trying desperately to crochet the first row of sc ..her neighbor, an older English lady who is a dead ringer for Margaret Rutherford/Miss Marple came up and started crocheting with me. She saw what I was doing and told me to "relax".  After she showed me to ease up and not do it so tight it got a lot easier!!! I am still not great but at least everything is recognizable now instead of looking like a hot nest of tangles!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designing the LED Space Helmet
Yves Behar on Product Design in the Future
Donna Karan: Fashion Designer & Philanthropist
Do You Recognize These Art Inspired Tattoos?
Art of VIBE: Do Lab Designer Josh Flemming Is Taking Art to New Heights
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...