A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand Sewing Help?  (Read 495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dfarks
« on: April 17, 2011 06:15:33 PM »

I'm very new to sewing, and since I don't have a sewing machine I am pretty limited. So far I've made a pie out of felt and an octopus (a really bad idea). Is there anything easy you guys can recommend?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011 06:18:38 PM by dfarks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
coconutbells
Mama Cass

I love old timey things, and miniatures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011 09:42:05 PM »

If you're only hand sewing and need a little practice, how about doing this. Get an old shirt, like a t-shirt, that you don't care much for, or think it may have a little potential. One thing all t-shirts need is to be taken in a little and given shape so that they fit nicer on the body. Get a few pins and something to mark the fabric with. Put it on inside out and pull on the fabric, on your sides, where in could be taken in, and mark on the front and back. Stitch from the armpit down in an hourglass shape, both sides. Cut off the excess and turn right side out. Fitted T! Fast and easy. With hand sewing, make sure to use a thimble so you're not bloodied up. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011 11:22:33 AM »

Hi there, I love to hand sew & I make things totally all hand sewing. One thing that's not to hard is a little bag. Cut a 6"x 6"  or 8"x 8" square & you can line it or not up to you. I like to line them just make 2 bags same size Just sew all around but leave the top open & have one right side out & other one wrong side out & put the wrong out one in the other one. Fold down 1/4" to 1/2" all around the top & I put in a hair elastic band in the middle of where you want to fold over the top,  mark which side especially if you have different fabrics. Then sew all around the top either straight stitch or whip stitch. Iron it & fold over top & Mark where you want your button & then it's all done. Have fun. Pm me if you need any more help! Hope that helps.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/partners
"Poppet vs. Ami Swap"/partners
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/partner

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Pa
Ohnomysweet
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011 11:15:41 AM »

What you really need to pay attention to is the stitches you're using.

Long "in and out" stitches are called "basting" stitches and you use those to hold your fabric together to test out the pattern. If you're making clothing this is a life saver because you can test out fit without spending hours on tiny stitches only to tear them all out if you make a mistake!

Second is the "running" stitch which is exactly like the basting stitch but smaller. Running stitches are strong but I wouldn't use them in the construction of a garment just because there are stronger stitches to use. If you you are interested in doing running stitches to begin with then supplement the stitch by using a stronger seam such as the "French" seam or the "flat felled" seam which is the strongest seam you can use (it's on the sides of your blue jeans).

Third is the "back" stitch which is the strongest stitch you can do by hand. It's a little hard to explain how to do the back stitch just by words alone so I suggest you look up a video.

There are other stitches for other purposes but you won't need those just yet. Practice these stitches with a simple project and you'll be making bags and clothes or anything really in no time. They are very easy to master and honestly I think they are much faster than sewing with a machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Fab Faux Scarf
How to Crochet Candle Lace Covers
How to Crochet Beanie Hat
How to Crochet Cell Phone Protector
How to Crochet an iPhone Purse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...