A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Snakes: Scraps & Skittles!  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread: snake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 17, 2011 10:30:40 AM »

I have been MIA for a very, very long time (we're talking 2+ years  Undecided) but I'm back and have tons to share! These are 2 snakes that I knitted for my older kiddos.

Scraps for Dominic:

*This was made before I learned that knitting into the back of the stitch was not how one executed a proper knit stitch, hence the twisted stitches.

Skittles for Kaitlin:

*Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. These were taken on a cloudy/rainy day.

A few notes:
1. Pattern - Slithery Snake from the Knitted Toys book by Zoe Mellor. I love this book! It has so many adorable patterns in it.
2. Yarn - Various Sugar 'n Cream & Peaches 'n Creme
3. Needles - Scraps: size 5, Skittles: size 3. 5s were too big but 3s were difficult because the stitches were really tight. Of course tight stitches are ideal for stuffies, but it was difficult on my hands.
4. Tip: Knit this guy in the round! Scraps was knitted flat and it was a nightmare to seam up. For Skittles, I knit the head flat (because of the shaping) and then switched to dpns. It was much, much easier that way.
5. I have a 3rd snake OTN for my youngest as an Easter gift. I'm using 4s and it is going much smoother. I will update this post FOs soon. Smiley
6. Stuff firmly; the snake will get squishier over time.

See?

Ravelry links:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/YarnGeek12/slithery-snake Scraps
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/YarnGeek12/slithery-snake-2 Skittles

Thanks for looking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
EllaRain
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011 11:38:04 AM »

Wow these must have taken forever to knit. They look like a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
littlebluegirl
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011 12:26:39 PM »

Very cool snakes, love the colours.  And I actually like the look of the twisted stitches on Scraps.  I have the same book and I'm inspired to make my own scrappy snake.  I like the idea of DPNs (not a fan of seaming!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susie in the sky
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011 02:10:11 PM »

I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
dablondeemu
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011 03:58:57 PM »

I was going to ask what stitch made that cool texture in the first one! lol funny that it was just a mistake :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy!
{{message me the word CRAFTY for free beach glass and shells with your order}}
please like on Facebook
I love swaps-- Msg me:]
Will trade beach glass and shells for glass beads and beading supplies
kbauer

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011 06:04:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!!

Wow these must have taken forever to knit. They look like a lot of fun.

They are a lot of fun but they don't take too long to knit if you don't have Start-itis like I do. Scraps took twice as long (at least) than Skittles, but Scraps was knit flat and is considerably longer than Skittles. I also set Scraps down for a while (morning sickness, husband lost his job, increased my work hrs to 40+, yada yada) so that's why the timeframe is so long (according to my Rav link). A week or 2 to complete a 3ft snake is a reasonable timeframe, in my opinion. Smiley

Very cool snakes, love the colours.  And I actually like the look of the twisted stitches on Scraps.  I have the same book and I'm inspired to make my own scrappy snake.  I like the idea of DPNs (not a fan of seaming!)

All of the patterns in her book are knit flat and require a lot of seaming. I highly recommend the dpns for the snakes, and if you have a little person in the house, recruit them to do the stuffing. My daughter got a kick out of stuffing her snake and her arms are much thinner than mine so it worked out well. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011 11:46:54 AM »

Add me to the club that likes the look of the twisted stitches, it gives the snake texture, kind of like real snake skin Wink

Knitting these in the round would definitely be easier, but don't underestimate mattress stitch (seaming)! You never know when it might come in handy later on for a project that you can't adapt to the round, or the seams are functional.

P.S. I heart Rupert Grint too! Cheesy Always nice to meet another fan Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 12:03:38 PM »

Add me to the club that likes the look of the twisted stitches, it gives the snake texture, kind of like real snake skin Wink

Knitting these in the round would definitely be easier, but don't underestimate mattress stitch (seaming)! You never know when it might come in handy later on for a project that you can't adapt to the round, or the seams are functional.

P.S. I heart Rupert Grint too! Cheesy Always nice to meet another fan Wink

I'm still getting the hang of mattress stitch lol. I can do a mean whip stitch though.

And woohoo for another Rupert Grint fan!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011 11:47:58 AM »

I'm still getting the hang of mattress stitch lol. I can do a mean whip stitch though.

And woohoo for another Rupert Grint fan!!  Grin

Mattress stitch is actually REALLY easy once you get the hang of it (but it does take practice)...and honestly, it can't be beat for a really (and I mean *really*) professional finish.  I showed off a sweater I'm working on at my knitting group and another knitter said you couldn't even tell there was a seam there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
InnerChildCrochet
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011 07:06:58 PM »

Oh my gosh, I love the colors!!! (Plus, I agree, that must have taken forever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog.innerchildcroc het.com <--I blog here
Crochet and knitting patterns and stuff --> innerchildcrochet.c om
crochetvolution.com <-- I'm making a crochet webzine!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Grads on Location
How to Take Underwater Photographs
How to Create an Easy Business Portrait
How to Calibrate Your Camera Part 3/3
How to Shoot a Ballerina Session
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...