A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make sure you and your partner are on the same page?  (Read 3065 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: April 17, 2011 06:34:59 AM »

I put a lot of work into my craft swaps.  I don't send anything out unless it's my absolute best, because anything less would be embarrassing.  There are times when I have spent days on end working on an OTT to get it perfect.  I pour over wist lists and try to get things as close to what they like as possible.  I check on sizes and color preferences if they haven't been listed, and if someone asks for something they can use, I make sure it's something they will use over and over again.
And some of those times, my hard work has been rewarded with something that looks like they threw together in 10 minutes and stuffed in the post, not looking at my wist list or considering that I hate dust collectors that just sit on shelves.
I recognize that I'm an experienced crafter and I've been doing this sort of stuff since I was nine years old for 4H, where you are judged for the quality of your work.  I don't make things to sell, so when I put a lot of time and sometimes a lot of money into something for someone else, I don't expect to get something back that I can't really use.

So I'm restricting myself to OTTs until I return home from overseas (because international shipping in addition to new materials I have to buy is prohibitive) and trying to come up with some strategies for making sure my swapping is fair.  Here's a couple.  Add some if you've got some advice.

1.  Get a wist list.  Before you get your partner, search for goods related to the swap theme and tag them for the theme, so they're easy to find.  Put the wist link  in your questionnaire.  Tell your partner a couple times in the questionnaire to check it if they're stuck for things to make.

2.  Send early.  If your package manages to get to your partner before they send, they'll know you mean business and can match your level.

3.  Communicate.  If you forgot to mention something on the questionnaire, send a PM.  If you plan to send extras, make and agreement with your partner.  Accurately represent your skill level.  If you are a master seamstress, say so.  If you are a mediocre knitter, that's fine, say so anyway so your organizer will be able to match people of similar skill levels.  If you are like me and put a ton of effort in, say so.  If you haven't got a lot of time or money to make really amazing things, that's fine, just SAY SO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
puzzler
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011 01:04:46 PM »

I thing you are onto something here.  I like the list.  I too would rather receive nothing, than something I didn't mention in the questionnaire (or something that is done with materials or colors i hate).  I think less is more in those cases especially.

I'd appeal to everyone to just focus on communication- If someone says they hate things without purpose, don't send them any!  If they say they hate yellow, try to avoid it!  I do think communication is the key to making both sides happy. The problem seems to be that not everyone agrees with it. 

I do appreciate your list though.  Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustyfro
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011 03:13:05 PM »

It's nice to be surprised, but I'd rather have an idea of what's coming rather than be unpleasantly surprised because someone didn't ask first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
christyross
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011 04:41:21 PM »

Some great advice... I just signed up for my first swap!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011 09:27:43 AM »

I mostly kinda sorta agree with the first post. Communication is definitely important.
Having enough info out there for your partner helps too, but wist vs blog vs etsy fave vs something else doesn't matter so much, I don't think.

Send early.... I'm not so sure. I've had swaps where I (or my partner) send early and you can tell that a lot of care & time was put into the project. I've also received items that were sent really early and looked rushed (I've noticed this tends to happen when someone wants to 'free up' a crafting swap space). I know if I receive early from my partner, I'm not going to change what I'm making just because my partner over or under sent. And if my partner's quality level is noticebly higher than mine, that's going to add to the swap anxiety but I'm not sure it'll improve my own quality level  Cheesy

Depending on the swap, the "what would you like/not like to receive" question is a starting point, not a definite list.  After all, it's a swap, not a special-order commission request  Smiley

so your organizer will be able to match people of similar skill levels

From what I've seen in other posts, skill level isn't one of the top matching points.  Things like allergies and mailing restrictions are higher up the list. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011 09:28:17 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011 10:11:31 AM »

I would be very embarrassed if I received a medium or small item that had had many hours spent on it. As a newcomer to swaps I find that I believe what I am told, so being in a small item swap, I have sent items that have taken 1-2hrs to make. Sometimes that is a disappointment to me: I wanted to make a book cover, but on an assessment piece (not counted in my hours) I worked out that it would take me over 6 hours to make, so I had to find something else to make that didn't quite match up in my head. Sad

I also find it unreasonable to spend longer researching a partner than I do in the crafting, or for that matter finding materials. If I add all of these up, it means I am willing to spend up to 6 active hours on a small item (not counting aborted attempts), and correspondingly more on larger items. Am I wrong here? Am I being stingy? Should I be spending more time in research? I don't know what the expectations are, so I've had to invent my own rules of thumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011 01:02:12 PM »

I don't know what the expectations are, so I've had to invent my own rules of thumb.

I think everyone has to do that to some degree. Depending on the swap, the items I make are knit or crochet, so even a small (by size) is 2+ hours. I figure a small (by time) is one evening of craft time, a medium is 2 or 3 evenings, and a large is 3+. (One evening is 2-3 hours or so)

I also find it unreasonable to spend longer researching a partner than I do in the crafting, or for that matter finding materials.

I'm not sure how much time I spend researching or deciding on the specific details of an item. Sometimes it's less than an hour, other times it's a lot longer.

Should I be spending more time in research?
Only if you think you're sending items that aren't 'right' for your partner. If they're a good fit for your partner, then you're researching enough.

As a newcomer to swaps I find that I believe what I am told, so being in a small item swap, I have sent items that have taken 1-2hrs to make.Sometimes that is a disappointment to me: I wanted to make a book cover, but on an assessment piece (not counted in my hours) I worked out that it would take me over 6 hours to make, 

But that's if you only look at time as the only measurement of small/medium/large. You can also look at the materials cost and the actual finished size. Or just ask your partner if they consider a book cover to meet the swap requirements.

I make beaded crochet bracelets. By material cost, it's a small (less than $10 US materials). By size, it's a medium (bracelets are usually considered mediums). By time, it's a large (they take me 6-8hours to make once I decide on the beads and pattern). I"ve asked a few of my partners what they think this project is - small medium or large. No one said small, it's about split even between medium or large.

If I add all of these up, it means I am willing to spend up to 6 active hours on a small item (not counting aborted attempts), and correspondingly more on larger items.

Recently I spend maybe 4 hours working on a jumping-doll ATC (artist trading card - they're a little larger than business card size - 2.5" x 3.5" or about 7.5cm x 90cm I think) and I don't know how many hours researching jumping-paper-dolls online to figure out how to make one. And about 2 yrs ago, I crocheted a shawl for a swap that took easily 20 hrs to make, if not longer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 02:00:08 PM »

Ok, thank you, ThreadOrYarn, for your reply. Now I know more about what is expected, I guess I'd better not be involved in any more swaps, there's clearly a lot more commitment than I can make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011 08:39:27 PM »

I would say that the biggest swap expectation is that swappers have fun, both in researching and making swap items for their partner!  I think that ThreadorYarn was stating her own way of researching and crafting rather than stating general swap expectations.  Crafting is a creative pursuit and it is really difficult to quantify exactly what a small, medium or large is when creating because so many things come into play-skill level, speed of crafting, availabilty of materials, interest in the topic.  That is why the minimum guidelines were established by time AND/OR price.  Its different for everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
teraspawn
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011 04:09:57 AM »

Well, I've never had a bad parcel in a swap! I find the crafting to be the funnest thing, and then to get something in return is an added and exciting bonus. I'm sorry you've had a bad time with swaps.

I agree that having a wist is a really good way to be a helpful receiving partner.

Antidigger: I have pm'd you too but I wanted to say here as well - don't stop swapping! Going by time as a guideline seems like a fine thing to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Puffers and Steam Sticks for Glass Blowing
Glass Blowing: How to Use Jacks and Pacioffis
Glass Blowing: Using Diamond and Straight Shears
Glass Blowing: How to Prepare Newspaper for Heat Protection
How to Marver Glass
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...