A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handcarved stamp art - Sid Vicious print  (Read 3056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DevilDoll
« on: June 03, 2005 12:28:10 AM »

I'm in the process of making 75 of these for a stamp zine I'm contributing to.  So far I've only made 20... it's a lot of work making the same thing 75 times!!  I'm taking a break so I thought I'd float one up here and see what y'all thought.

Each page is 8 1/2 x 11.  Here's a detail of the sid face:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 03:26:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gierma
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005 02:45:39 AM »

that is soo nice...

how do you make handcarved stamps..

it would be soo great to be able to do

/m
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DevilDoll
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005 04:33:58 AM »

Thanks!!  I'm pretty happy with how it came out too.

It's totally easy to make hand carved rubber stamps. You can use regular erasers or sheets of rubber made by Speedball.

"Sid" is about 2 1/2 x 2 so you would need the Speedball rubber for something that size.  For smaller stuff, just get rubber erasers from a 99cent store.  You can get the Speedpall rubber at a Michael's or another large craft store.  You might want to check ebay too .. better prices and all.

For the "Sid" stamp I just found an image online I liked and messed with the threshhold in Photoshop until it looked right. I printed it off (in black) on a color printer that had water soluble ink, and sprayed it with water till it was wet.  I placed it, ink side down, on the rubber and ironed it with an iron on a medium setting until it was dry again. (similar principle to those tattoo things that used to come in Crackerjacks, where you wet the back to get the image on your skin)

Then, when I peeled the paper off, the image had transferred to the rubber, so all I had to do was trace. I used a Speedball cutter (again, check craft stores or ebay) to cut out the bigger parts.  For more detailed stuff (like the hair spikes, eyes, etc.) I used an xacto craft knife.

Since I'm in how-to mode, I might as well explain the rest.. I made a tempate with 9 rectangles I cut out with an xacto knife & colored them in by stamping the ink pads direct to paper thru the holes.  After that had dried I came back to stamp the "Sid" image on top.

Hope that's helpful - If you make something cool post it online so I can see!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005 06:14:34 AM »

VERY helpful explanation. Thank you so much. My son gave me a sheet of rubber and a cutter-thingy as a gift and I wasn't sure how to get started on anything more complicated than a heart or other simple shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratjen37
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 07:22:15 AM »

Sweet!  Those look GREAT!  Which zine is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Hobart, dishwasher as man and machine.
DevilDoll
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005 12:41:46 PM »

VERY helpful explanation.

Hey, thanks!  Just dive in, it's pretty fun!

A flier for the 'zine is here:

http://www.rubberstampcalendar.com/vendors/bVendStamplandflier1.htm

It should be pretty cool when they put everyone's stuff together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulicat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005 02:26:11 PM »

love the colours you used too!  brown is more interesting than black.  great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madamedefarge
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005 02:56:19 PM »

It's very Andy Warhol-esque.  I like it.

Sid Vicious was such a hottie...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005 01:52:31 AM »

Sweet. Just sweet. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. My "List of Crafts to Try" never seems to get any shorter! Lol. I like the first image you have posted for this. It's a nice little piece of art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005 11:26:38 PM »

Oh man, in the last day of my Printmaking class I saw this girl from another course with a bunch of carved out erasers she used for, well, stamping. I was soooo drooling over her stuff!

Sometime this Summer I will buy an eraser and do this. She said Staedtler erasers work the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinathellama
Oh man!

I am the Depleted Uranium of Feminity!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005 11:48:21 PM »

These are awesome!!!

Question, however. If you are making more than one stamp, after you make the first couldn't you just use it to stamp the images in the subsequent ones? Oh... but it would be backwards, wouldn't it...

Huh

No matter, incredible job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\m/
DevilDoll
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005 12:19:11 AM »

Thanks tinathellama!  I just make handcarved stamps for my own personal use, so I only make one of a kind.

Your idea would totally work if you wanted to mape more than one - an it wouldn't turn out reversed.  You would just carve around the part that was inked with the first one.  That's actually a great idea for making dupes - I might try that sometime!!

I just got a 5-pack of smallish erasers at the dollar store last week I'm gonna carve more stamps with.  The rubber isn't as good as the "real stuff", but hey - waddaya expect for a buck. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-Style Hair
10 Frizz-Busting Products to Get You Through Summer
Teresa Giudice Explains Milania Hair Care
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Classic Updo
How To Do Vintage Hollywood Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...