A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double-Knit Earflap Hat - Space Invaders Style!  (Read 1436 times)
Tags for this thread: double_knit , hat , space_invaders , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofmarigold
« on: April 16, 2011 06:39:29 AM »

The ease (and fun!) of double-knitting potholders made me want to find a more challenging dk project - and so the earflap hat was begun. I can't find the pattern except for my condensed printout, apparently I didn't save the link and I just can't seem to find the right combination of search keywords to relocate it. But I used a fairly basic earflap hat pattern and created a chart to fill the pattern in between edge and decreases. Being a nerd at heart I couldn't pass up the invaders - they're made up of so few pixels and are so easily recognised that they're perfect to make a basic design.

Here are a few shots to show off the pattern, eagerly taken as soon as I could get my dpns out of the way! The beauty of double knitting makes for a reversible hat that's twice as warm as one with only a single layer, and it turned out super cozy. I personally like the green-with-brown-invaders side, but that's just me.

Here my darling sister modeled the hat for me, and I totally didn't have to bribe her at all to do it.

And if you look closely, you can see that one of the earflaps features the valiant defender of the earth that the player controls in space invaders games, and above him you can see the exploding remnants of his first kill.

Even using dpns for most of it this was easier than I feared, and especially in the charted section it knit up really quickly. The speed of the pattern emerging made it exciting which is good, because I've abandoned rather a few patterns that lost my interest. Definitely a fun knit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011 06:51:22 AM »

this is so COOL and it looks great on you!   Sigh... I wish I could knit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofmarigold
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011 07:23:30 AM »

this is so COOL and it looks great on you!

Actually, it looks great on my sister Tongue
Haha. My brother claimed it, actually, but he refused to play model for me Sad

My grandmother taught me to knit years ago, but I did most of my relearning via the internet - there are so many videos on youtube for the individual stitches, and if you start with simple stitches first you can work up to harder things when you're ready. I think I got most of my instruction from The Knit Witch on Youtube. You should just give it a try, start out slow and practice and then you'll find it's too much fun to stop Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
never_more
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011 11:17:37 AM »

soo cool! It makes me wonder why I've never even tried double knitting. Probably because nothing I could make would be as nerdily awesome as this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The purpose of art is to give shape to life."
William Shakespeare
queenofmarigold
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011 11:00:10 PM »

Of course you could, never_more, you just have to channel your inner geek Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011 11:52:11 AM »

More doubleknit goodness! I'm always impressed with doubleknit SHAPED projects...the decreasing on top of double knitting kind of intimdate me...the hat looks fabulous though and mighty awesomely geeky! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaMcTastic
Check out my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011 07:35:21 AM »

I love it!! Double knitting is on my list of techniques to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fresh Cranberry Sauce - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Cajun Rice Dressing
How to Make Fresh Chicken Stock
How To Make Chicken Fingers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...