A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *EDIT* Removing and re-dyeing eyelet dress  (Read 837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2011 06:56:51 AM »

Thanks for the initial help with my dyeing question...I have bought this dress in light pink:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Juniors/Shop/Dresses/CasualDresses/PRD~18015501361162/Red+Camel+Woven+U+Neck+Dress.jsp?off=30

The under layer is a coral color and the overlay is a super light pink eyelet.  The tag lists it as 100% cotton throughout.  I really want a yellow dress.  Is there any hope for being able to remove the color enough to then re-dye it yellow??
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011 07:01:54 PM by CraftyGal13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011 04:39:04 AM »

Commercially made items may have some sort of treatment on the fabric that will inhibit dyeing.  When dyeing anything new I usually try a small test.  These dresses are adorable - doesn't look like much extra fabric or thread to try a test with. but that may be the only way you would know for certain.
Perhaps someone else that has more experience dyeing fabric and garments will have a suggestion.
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011 07:11:36 AM »

I think as long as they are 100% cotton they should dye alright.  I would pre-wash them before dyeing.  And AlpacaNanny's suggestion about doing a test first is excellent.  Maybe with a piece of the liner (if there is one) or the inside of the hem?

If you vat dye on the stovetop, make sure you stir constantly to get a nice, even coverage of your color.

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011 06:54:46 AM »

I had some success with bleaching really light pink sheets that I bought still in the package at the thrift store and then dyeing them blue.  I diluted the bleach in some water (didn't measure, sorry), and then soaked the sheets, checking them every so often.  Depending on how much you dilute the bleach, how light the pink of the dress is (looks pretty light), and the thickness of the material, you should be able to get most of the color out this way.  Just be careful because the bleach can eat away at the material if you let it soak too long.  And any threading will not bleach out, so this might be a problem if there is stitching around the eyelets on the dress.  Sorry I should have thought of that when you asked before.  Also, if the lining is not cotton, it might  not bleach or dye well.  You will have to experiment/test.  Definitely let us know how you make out.

Hope that was clear/helpful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011 07:37:35 PM »

I personally think if you did bleach it but not all the pink came out of the eyelets, it would be really cute yellow with pink threading. Just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011 05:19:01 AM »

Ritt makes a dye remover - I would try that first.  Bleach can permanently damage fabric and fiber.
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rednightsky86
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 11:26:50 AM »

look on dharmatrading.com which has some dye removers.  If it was industrially dyed it will be really hard to get out.  I also agree with doing a swatch test.  You could try bleach and see if it takes anything out, and the fabric will be fine as long as you wash it out and don't let it sit longer than it needs to (I bleach dyed cotton fabric all the time and have never had a problem).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everyday Makeup Tutorial
Back to School Hair and Makeup Tutorial
3 Steps to Beautiful Nails
4 Tips for Using Bronzer
3 Tips for Applying Sunscreen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...