A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double-Knit Potholders (Totoro & Zero Punctuation)  (Read 4552 times)
Tags for this thread: double_knit , potholder , totoro  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofmarigold
« on: April 16, 2011 05:47:01 AM »

I'd always been a little intimidated by double knitting - it looked so complicated! Then I gave it a try, and it's not so bad. Especially if you start with something simple - like pot holders.

The original pattern that inspired this was from Off The Hook Astronomy's Star Trek Potholders (http://offthehookastronomy.blogspot.com/2009/08/star-trek-pot-holders-free-pattern.html), but I used my own charts to make these (the colours look much better in person - had to take these shots with my phone) :

The imp from Zero Punctuation (an online video series where a sarcastic man reviews games, usually pointing out why they suck) was my first try, large blocks of colour make for less changes.

Then we have the big, small and tiny totoro from the Studio Ghibli classic "My Neighbour Totoro". I've always loved this movie and wanted to incorporate them into craft - they can be simplified so easily and still stay adorable. I do find the white totoro a little creepy though, makes his big tummy look like a gaping mouth (shudder!).

The best part about making these was how quickly they come out. I tend to get bored with repetitious patterns (no finished afghans here), so seeing the picture appear so fast was rewarding and exciting. The double-knitting also ends up making a double layer of fabric, so they're thick enough to take the heat like a good potholder should! It's a great project for beginner dk'ers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastetblue
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011 10:38:52 AM »

These look great! I've been intimidated by double knitting too. Maybe I should try making pot holders to get a feel for the technique. I love the designs you knitted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of pie.''

My wist: http://wists.com/bastetblue
queenofmarigold
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011 11:01:18 PM »

Potholders are a great starting project, because they're quick and easy, but also useful when they're finished... and you can use any chart you like. I hope you give it a go Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011 11:25:57 AM »

Double knitting is definitely on my list of techinques to learn, so thanks for sharing your attempts: it's inspiring!  I really love the Totoro one you did, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Pass Sharpening in in Photoshop
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery
Creating a Dark Blue Sky in Photoshop
Whitening Teeth and Eyes in Photoshop
How to Use the Luminance Feature in Lightroom, Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...