A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate and Honey Bears  (Read 1310 times)
Tags for this thread: bear , stuffie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brutemus and friends

Do not copy my art or trademarked names/characters

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011 06:26:03 PM »

The simple design is definitely popular, and I too think it's wonderful.

Also, I love the stitching on the muzzles and ears. I think the large stitches make it even more adorable. However the problem I have with it is that the gaps (like someone else has mentioned) are just too big. I feel that the muzzles aren't on there very well and would be prone to being ripped off. Puckering of the stitches also seems to be a little problem of making them big. But this is really where I am torn. The big stitches add to the plushie's character but they are just not completely functional I would really hate to seem them go though.  Embarrassed

The eyelashes on Honey bear are another great touch! When people add small details like this it just adds a lot to the plushie, and I find myself liking them even more. I mean it's little things like that can make the plushie stand out amongst a group/pile.

Appreciate it  Cheesy I should probably stuff them more. I don't like my plushies stuffed too much because the stuffing balls up and isn't soft/squishy, it gets hard.

I also have this problem! Stuffing things can be a big pain in the butt. It's hard to know when to stop.  Lips sealed

And one last thing: your other posts are lovely too!

Wow thanks for the detailed feedback! I'm loving this

The stitching is pretty tight. I also use embroidery thread, instead of one tiny thread. Since a lot of people are commenting on it, I will stitch it so that it doesn't have the big gaps but also keep the simple look.

Thanks for noticing the eyelashes! It looks better in person, the picture doesn't show them very well. I am going to try and think of other little details to add, but nothing crazy so the bears will still keep their style.

I use REALLY soft stuffing. I used to use really course feeling stuffing when I started out. I will never go back! Because it is so soft I don't like to bunch it all up and stuff something A LOT because then you can't feel the softness. I will work on it though! So that ALL of my plushies will be stuffed well. Also I think I pulled the string too much because it will scrunch up the material and make it seem lumpy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011 06:30:10 PM by Brutemus and friends » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please do not copy my art or trademarked names/characters
My Tumblr My DeviantArt
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011 07:34:25 AM »

First of all....they really are cute - lol - no getting around it.  As far as the big stitches go, I would say that is more of a decorative stitch, so you could easily stitch around the pieces first with the dark thread and then attach them more functionally, a little closer to the edges, with an "invisable" stitch.  When I stuff my creations I make sure to pull off small pieces of stuffing and add them in.  When you shove large chunks in it is harder to manipulate it into the smaller areas and it does tend to get lumpy.  I find that if you don't almost overstuff fleece "bodies" they tend to flatten out rather quickly - so don't go too easy on the stuffing!  Wink
  Keep up the good work - everything is a learning experience and you're getting lots of helpful feedback!  Looking forward to see what's next!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
turbotinks
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011 07:44:43 AM »

They look awesome the only thing I noticed and it was when I looked really hard it that on your brown bear the light brown patch isnt evenly spaced between the eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brutemus and friends

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011 08:50:24 AM »

First of all....they really are cute - lol - no getting around it.  As far as the big stitches go, I would say that is more of a decorative stitch, so you could easily stitch around the pieces first with the dark thread and then attach them more functionally, a little closer to the edges, with an "invisable" stitch.  When I stuff my creations I make sure to pull off small pieces of stuffing and add them in.  When you shove large chunks in it is harder to manipulate it into the smaller areas and it does tend to get lumpy.  I find that if you don't almost overstuff fleece "bodies" they tend to flatten out rather quickly - so don't go too easy on the stuffing!  Wink
  Keep up the good work - everything is a learning experience and you're getting lots of helpful feedback!  Looking forward to see what's next!

Hmmm. I usually do an invisable stitch... thanks! I never thought of it as decorative. I think I will do this :]

I do little pieces of fluff too. I never thought about that... I guess I'll have to go buy more stuffing lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr My DeviantArt
Alexus1325
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011 02:54:07 PM »

Wow, mixed opinions! I'm not fond of Chocolate. I'm ok with there being space between each stitch, but the overall proportion of the stitching is just too large. I prefer Honey, because her stitches are smaller and are a close colour-match to the background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brutemus and friends

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011 03:15:14 PM »

Wow, mixed opinions! I'm not fond of Chocolate. I'm ok with there being space between each stitch, but the overall proportion of the stitching is just too large. I prefer Honey, because her stitches are smaller and are a close colour-match to the background.

Appreciate the honesty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr My DeviantArt
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Name Game
How to Make a Rug Out of Scrap Fabric
How to Weave with a Loom
How to Spin Yarn on a Spinning Wheel
How to Use a Shuttle on a Loom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...