A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 109
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Hoopla Rnd 5 - Color Spectrum!! (SignUp CLOSED, Send 6/6/11)  (Read 50523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erica_tattoos
« Reply #760 on: May 15, 2011 09:10:33 PM »

[...] i like to stitch in my plastic hoop [...]

Are there any advantages to the plastic hoops? I've only ever used the wooden ones. Just curious.

for me it's the sturdiness.....the hoops i use are thicker and much more solid than the little bamboo ones. the interior hoop has a thick rib around the middle and the exterior hoop has a corresponding groove. when you put your fabric in there, get it stretched down snug, and tighten the lil wingnut - the fabric is going nowhere.

i only ever used real cheapy wood hoops when i used them, but i found them to be too flimsy, easily split, the fabric would slip or get baggy while you were working, and you could never quite crank that thing down enough to keep the fabric from slipping....

maybe a good wood hoop is different, i have no frame of reference for them, but in comparison to the bamboo hoops i use to display with, there is no contest!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubylynns
« Reply #761 on: May 16, 2011 04:06:47 AM »

I'm done with the stitching! I just need to finish it nicely and ship it out! I hope to get it in the mail today or tomorrow...=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megstar
« Reply #762 on: May 16, 2011 06:29:52 AM »

maybe a good wood hoop is different, i have no frame of reference for them, but in comparison to the bamboo hoops i use to display with, there is no contest!!!

where do you order your bamboo hoops?  i have been having a hard time finding the shape/size i need in my local stores, and they are all the flimsy wood ones anyway...

got halfway through the complicated part this weekend...taking longer than expected, but it will be worth it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an anthem = the bottom of an ant's pants Smiley
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #763 on: May 16, 2011 07:35:40 AM »

Super busy at work again today...just finished the main work on a cuff bracelet for another swap and hope to trace out my design for my hoop in a few minutes.  I may not get to start any actual stitching yet, but I'm hoping I'll get on that on Wednesday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
jexxican

« Reply #764 on: May 16, 2011 07:42:54 AM »

I used to be a tech...now I am working reception at a vet clinic. Cat bites suck!  I've had a bite in that same spot but it came from a Shar Pei. I ended up with blood poisoning. Most painful bite I ever had. So sorry you got bit!!! Hope it heals up quick!

i've actually only had one dog bite that broke the skin and it was cause a tooth slid along my cuticle. it was a mean little poodle/lhasa mix. shar peis can be mean as hell....i don't trust them, chows, or most chihuahuas. little land sharks..... >.<

thank you. i wouldn't mind the bite so bad if it wasn't keeping me from working on my hoops! i just learned a new stitch, too. ::pout::
I totally agree!  Our neighbors have chihuahuas and poodles.  Mean & vicious little things.  Weve lived here for about 10 yrs and they still bark, growl and bare their teeth if were in our own back yard.  They run to their fence line like rabbid mad dogs.  I also dont like pit bulls.  Some idiot in our neighborhood has one.  Not sure who, but the dog is constantly running the streets.  Seriously, Ive had dogs almost all my life and I had one get loose 'one' time.  Its not that hard to keep a pet dog confined in a yard or the house.  Anyways, back on topic.  I worked on my hoop today.  Very happy with how its turning out.  
I have a pit bull and she is wonderful, even with my 2 small kids. I think it's hilarious that my MIL has a 3lb min pin that terrifies my 60+lb pit. Those rat dogs are the evil ones but for some reason the pits get the bad reputation.
My only problem is they are so smart! she has a stupid look in her eyes, and sometimes it's like Really Dog? But Nibs has escaped so many times. I've never had a dog escape like her! She jumped our 6 foot wooden fence. The only that stopped her escapes was putting up a shock wire around the yard. So don't talk crap about pit bulls. If your only com plaint is that it runs amok then that's pretty good.

Crafty note: I am taking my crafty license into account and saying that _____ falls into the ___ spectrum. I think it'll be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Hollistercobabe
I'm one crazy broad!

Who needs to be good when you can date a boy scout

« Reply #765 on: May 16, 2011 08:31:18 AM »

I'm trying out a new stitch I don't think I'm doing it the way it's suppose to be done but it's working so I guess that counts lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LET'S MAKE A DEAL
Looking to trade, if i do something you like let me know.

My Greatest Craft-Baby Boy Hollister arrived March 22,2010

Etsy http://sterlingstryker.etsy.com
littlefawnpug

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #766 on: May 16, 2011 09:13:37 AM »

I used to be a tech...now I am working reception at a vet clinic. Cat bites suck!  I've had a bite in that same spot but it came from a Shar Pei. I ended up with blood poisoning. Most painful bite I ever had. So sorry you got bit!!! Hope it heals up quick!

i've actually only had one dog bite that broke the skin and it was cause a tooth slid along my cuticle. it was a mean little poodle/lhasa mix. shar peis can be mean as hell....i don't trust them, chows, or most chihuahuas. little land sharks..... >.<

thank you. i wouldn't mind the bite so bad if it wasn't keeping me from working on my hoops! i just learned a new stitch, too. ::pout::
I totally agree!  Our neighbors have chihuahuas and poodles.  Mean & vicious little things.  Weve lived here for about 10 yrs and they still bark, growl and bare their teeth if were in our own back yard.  They run to their fence line like rabbid mad dogs.  I also dont like pit bulls.  Some idiot in our neighborhood has one.  Not sure who, but the dog is constantly running the streets.  Seriously, Ive had dogs almost all my life and I had one get loose 'one' time.  Its not that hard to keep a pet dog confined in a yard or the house.  Anyways, back on topic.  I worked on my hoop today.  Very happy with how its turning out.  
I have a pit bull and she is wonderful, even with my 2 small kids. I think it's hilarious that my MIL has a 3lb min pin that terrifies my 60+lb pit. Those rat dogs are the evil ones but for some reason the pits get the bad reputation.
My only problem is they are so smart! she has a stupid look in her eyes, and sometimes it's like Really Dog? But Nibs has escaped so many times. I've never had a dog escape like her! She jumped our 6 foot wooden fence. The only that stopped her escapes was putting up a shock wire around the yard. So don't talk crap about pit bulls. If your only com plaint is that it runs amok then that's pretty good.

Crafty note: I am taking my crafty license into account and saying that _____ falls into the ___ spectrum. I think it'll be cool.
I never said all pit bulls were bad, I just said I dont like them, because we've only seen the crazy ones, and when a pit bull is running loose in our neighborhood and if we step outside its growling and baring teeth, thats a could reason to complain.  I mean, if it was a small dog like a chihuahua, at least we know that if it attacked us we could probably kick it off of us or our small kiddo could smack it and it might would run off, seeing they are like 3-4lbs it wouldnt take much.  But, when its a pit bull with those strong jaws, we'd be less likely to smack it and it would run away.  And a small kiddo espeically wouldnt be able to do much defending if the pit bull attacked.  Im just saying that pit bull attacks is alot more dangerous then a chihuahua attack.  Plus, in our area owners of those dogs are required by law to keep it confined at all times, and if walking the dog it needs a muzzle on, have a 6 ft fence if the dogs in the yard, and to have certain types of insureance incase the dogs bite someone.  So when we cant ride or bikes, walk or even take the kiddo to the bus stop its really an annoyance and dangerous.  For us, for anyone outside when theres 'any' dog breed that growling and acting crazy, but at least if its small one Like chihuahua or like you mentioned a min pin theres a good chance we could smack it away.

But anyways, enough talk about dogs.  This is a hoopla swap so hoopla related talk only.  I worked more on my hoopla yesterday.  Will try to finish it this weekend.  As for the back of the hoop, I normally just leave them plain, that way if the receiver wants to take it out and put it in a different hoop or frame it, then its simple.  Oh, yeah and bamboo hoops?  Are they just like the regular wood ones but more sturdy?  Ive only seen the regular wood, metal and plastic.  I dont like the metal ones though.  I think my favorite are the plastic hoops that look like real wood and they have a little hanger on them already.  Yeah, I recieved some in a swap and just love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #767 on: May 16, 2011 11:07:19 AM »

I've only started stitching one part of my hoop and it's TOTALLY rockin' my socks already Smiley  I also have ideas for the Dollar Tree items I got a while back...totally diggin' on those too.  YAY!!!  I don't want to put this down and leave it at work when I'm off tomorrow, but I have SO many other projects to do at home I just WILL NOT have any time to work on it there if I take it...flargh...stitching away for another hour and 45min and work stops til Wednesday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

« Reply #768 on: May 16, 2011 11:08:38 AM »

I'm still fine tuning my design for Mezcraft - mostly just moving things around. I've got the right idea, i just want to make sure it's all in the right place before I transfer.
I've got the background fabric, and I picked up all of the ___ floss that I could find! If I don't use it all, it's a great color, so I'm sure I'll use it somewhere.

Can't wait to actually get started some time this week.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: May 16, 2011 01:14:09 PM »

I'm finally getting to start my hoop over. I couldn't find my pack of press and seal, so I'm using some old tissue paper left over from Christmas. I drew a whole pattern for this. I decided to go with ______. I'm kind of excited about this.

Some one had asked earlier about books with lots of stitches in it. I found an old book at a used bookstore that I love. It's The Step By Step Needlecraft Encyclopedia. It covers knitting, crochet, tatting, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery, and knotting. There a projects for everything, the directions for embroidery stitches are clear and there are some really good pictures. I also picked up The Complete Illustrated Stitch Encyclopedia. It's newer with better pictures, and while not as varied as the other one, still had some stitches the first one didn't. Very colorful and easy to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 109 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Fill Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Layer Opacity in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Ruler Measurements in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...