A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are current floss prices?  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phooka

Rawr kitty rawr

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2011 10:43:16 AM »

I'm gearing up for my next BAP, and am trying to sort out where the best floss prices are. There's a Hobby Lobby and a Michaels in my area, but they're both about 30-45 minutes away (in different directions.) My local needlework store carries DMC, at 50 cents a skein! Ouch. Online prices seem comparable to the LNS. I'm hoping to find out what the chains are charging before I go a-questing. Needing at least 54 skeins...I'd like to save what money I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

#1 Rule of Crafting: Never bleed on the project.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 09:08:58 PM »

A lot of times the chain stores have sales on their skeins. You could always call ahead and see if they can set them aside for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011 06:04:08 PM »

My local needlework store has it for $.65 a skein. A local fabric store has it for $1.15. Joann's has it for $0.37 I think, and that's when it's not on sale. Thread's cheap, but it certainly does add up.

I would figure out how many miles it is to the Michaels or Hobby Lobby and divide that by your mpg. Multiply by current gas price. Call the stores, see what their prices are, and multiply that by number of skeins. Add the two. You might be surprised. The needlework store might be cheaper. Then again, if you get good mpg or have a lot of skeins to get it may be worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafts4others
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 11:44:04 AM »

I was just at Joann's on tuesday and the skeins were .37 cents a piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AGFH
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011 08:41:43 AM »

Michaels has DMC for .35 a skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011 06:40:24 AM »

Boy... I want American floss. You say that 50cent is a lot? Really? I've been checking some websites ever since I saw this and I found several prices. The one more expensive than the other...

DMC, one skein, 1.19 (that is $1.70). On another website, $0.86. And that's online, which is always a bit cheaper. In shops I have seen floss of almost 2.00 a skein, $2.86. Yep...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Phooka

Rawr kitty rawr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011 09:43:29 AM »

Boy... I want American floss. You say that 50cent is a lot? Really? I've been checking some websites ever since I saw this and I found several prices. The one more expensive than the other...

DMC, one skein, 1.19 (that is $1.70). On another website, $0.86. And that's online, which is always a bit cheaper. In shops I have seen floss of almost 2.00 a skein, $2.86. Yep...

I am definitely grateful for our DMC prices - I only pay $2.00 or more for silk! I could never afford my big projects at those prices  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

#1 Rule of Crafting: Never bleed on the project.
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011 10:51:06 PM »

I think people are only complaining, since as recently as three or four years ago you used to be able to find it for $.25 a skein!  That was Walmart, and Joanns.  Even then you could usually plant to hit a big sale at Joanns that did a buy two get one free type thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011 01:08:40 AM »

Oh, I don't mind people complaining. I can understand, with the current economic situation and all that. I guess my post can come across as a bit harsh, while I was just pondering how we ended up with such huge differences in prices. If I want to buy electronica, like a tv, a Nintendo DS, or just an iPod, I'm better off in Germany or England. For food, the Netherlands. And now, for simple floss, America.
It kinda sucks that America has such high shipping costs. I know where I'd get mine Tongue. Still, why? Why is there such a huge difference?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011 08:35:32 AM »

When Joann's used to have their 25 cent skein sale, I would stock up on each color (the infamous 36 feet cash register receipt picture is floating around somewhere). I'm still going through that and it was a few years ago. I wonder why shipping charges are steep?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Northern Lights: Is This the Greatest Bar in the World?
An Exercise in Wallpaper: Why the Eye Likes Patterns
Chandelier Casts Tree Shadows on Wall
Hudson Yards Exhibition Space Design
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...