A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 15 April 2011  (Read 1930 times)
Tags for this thread: homespun , fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: April 15, 2011 09:10:33 AM »

I guess I'll get us started this week.

Here is my first-ever fabric yarn.  It's called "Hippie Chick."  There's just 45 yards and it's very bulky and not very soft.  It was a lot of fun to spin though!

I spun it from the pink center panels of this hippie skirt I got for 99 cents at a thrift store:

Don't know if you can tell, but it's VERY sparkly b/c there is gold thread running through the fabric.  I like that it has a very antique look to it.  Don't know what I'll manage to make with it though.  I still have the green fabric left over, but I'm not sure if I'll spin it since cutting the strips took a long time.  Seemed like a lot of work for 45 yards of yarn.  So maybe I'll decoupage or do something else with the green fabric.

And here's a pic, because my son wanted a photo of his kitty holding the yarn:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 09:34:07 AM »

Love it!  Tell your son his kitty is showing off your yarn like a professional!

I spun a number of yarns this week, even managed to get most photographed ... but DH now has the camera!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011 11:41:47 AM »

nikschaf, I love that yarn! I have a bunch of silk blouses that I bought for 25 cent each, and I had the thought I could dye the silk with food coloring, and then tear it into strips for spinning. I'm still not sure how to go about it though. Is your yarn a single or is it plied? Can't tell from the pic. It might just be that I am blind. I'm getting my new bifocals next week.  Cheesy

I think I might need to ply my silk with a single of wool, maybe. Whatever fabric yarn I make will probably be for visual interest in a woven piece.

I don't have anything done yet, but here is some more of the San Clemente Sunset yarn. I can't decide what I want to ply it with yet, so it sits on its bobbin until I make up my mind:

This one will be plied with a heathery purple single that is on my wheel right now. This single was spun on the Turkish spindle at the park while we had nice weather, then wound onto a bobbin for plying. I thought it should be on a bobbin since the purple will be. I'll need to finish this one soon, since I don't own very many bobbins. Hopefully this weekend.

Here is a thick woolen single that I have on my Turkish spindle now. This is Sheep Shed grab bag wool that I dyed and carded into rolags.

And right now I am obsessed with pulling rovings though my comb hackle. I have more, but my camera needs new batteries. This is so fun to do. I've learned that for my comb hackle, I can't have the comb more than 1/3 full, and ideally a bit less than that. Then I can easily pull a roving without breaking the combs or hurting my wrists. The diz I use now is a washer with a 1/4 inch hole. The wool is Carol Lee's Sheep Shed dye soppers.

Hopefully next week I will actually have some finished yarn to post!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 11:47:09 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011 11:52:07 AM »

Here we go, some of the yarns I finished.  I have a couple more, but no pics yet.

This

became one ply of this 2-ply:

Eeyore - chain plyed

The boucle I plied on this single is the same boucle I used for the yarn spun from the roving in the final picture

This was spun into a single and plied with a boucle thread.  It is now being crocheted up into a triangular shawl.  I'm running out of yarn so will have to spin up some more.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 11:57:07 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011 01:05:37 PM »

Oh my goodness -- such beautiful colors this week.  The really colorful yarns are reminding me of starburst candies -- in fact my mouth is watering!  Love the combo of oranges and purples.  MLF and LaughingLark -- it's really something you two have similar yummy colorways this week!!   I'm gonna have to try an orange and purple combo sometime.

LaughingLark, my yarn is a one-ply.  It's hard to see the details of the yarn because the edges are a bit frayed.  I considered plying it with thread, but I was a little worried my joins wouldn't hold together if I did.  I had one join that came apart when I was setting the twist, so I just tied it in a knot -- I figure it's not going next to anyone's skin, so I'm not worried about a rough bump of a knot.  I might have just taken a needle and thread and thrown in a few stitches at the join otherwise.  I'd love to see what you do with those silk blouses!  With mine, I cut strips about 1" thick.  I used pinking shears to cut down on fraying and loose threads. Probably could have done thinner, but I was worried about how the gauzy cotton fabric would hold up to the tension of spinning.  Silk I'm sure you could do much thinner, since it's so strong.  I cut the ends of the strips at about a 45 degree angle to cut down on bulk at the joins.  It's a great idea to use it as an accent in weaving!  I have a rigid heddle loom sitting in a box just waiting for me to assemble it and learn how to use it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 04:34:25 PM »

Wow LL, we're really in tune this week!!

Nikschaf, that would be a great yarn for a summer hat.

Just took pics of the rest of this week's yarns.  They are indoor pics, so sorry about the quality.

2-ply. One ply is spaced dyed roving, white, pink, yellow, green, blue.  the other ply is spaced dyed roving, blue & white.

Two ply yarn spun from my Peace Rose roving (pink & orange)

Indigo dyed Icelandic

Brown shetland carded with white & reds (roving showed in post above), crocheted in a simple triangular filet shawl

And all of them together.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 05:55:28 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011 07:06:44 PM »

MLF - I love the last pic of them all together.  Just snuggled all together like a litter of kittens!  A summer hat is a great idea.  I'd have to spin up the green for enough yardage, and probably use wire in the brim since it's so heavy, I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011 04:19:55 AM »

MLF, that pile of yarn makes me drool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011 08:02:29 AM »

nikschaf, you may not need a wire, depending on the brim type.  The hat I made from cloth strips (not spun) was pretty heavy duty and the brim would stay where you put it.  It was something like THIS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

charaxesdistanti
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011 09:59:22 AM »

I've been a lurker here for awhile. Love everyone's yarns, so pretty. I finally have something to show. I don't spin a lot but I am going to try and get into it a little more.

Here is some sheep shed studio white that I got years ago, dyed with food coloring.

And this one I did a little back ago but finally got photos. It is a batt purchased from Knitpicks by Hanks in the Hood, Gasworks Park batt. It was my first time navajo plying and I loooove it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own All Natural Hair Conditioner
How to Prevent Hair Breakage
How to Protect Your Hair from Chlorine and Saltwater
How to Prevent Static Cling in Your Hair
How to Protect Your Hair from the Sun
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...