A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 15 April 2011  (Read 1931 times)
Tags for this thread: homespun , fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: April 15, 2011 09:10:33 AM »

I guess I'll get us started this week.

Here is my first-ever fabric yarn.  It's called "Hippie Chick."  There's just 45 yards and it's very bulky and not very soft.  It was a lot of fun to spin though!

I spun it from the pink center panels of this hippie skirt I got for 99 cents at a thrift store:

Don't know if you can tell, but it's VERY sparkly b/c there is gold thread running through the fabric.  I like that it has a very antique look to it.  Don't know what I'll manage to make with it though.  I still have the green fabric left over, but I'm not sure if I'll spin it since cutting the strips took a long time.  Seemed like a lot of work for 45 yards of yarn.  So maybe I'll decoupage or do something else with the green fabric.

And here's a pic, because my son wanted a photo of his kitty holding the yarn:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 09:34:07 AM »

Love it!  Tell your son his kitty is showing off your yarn like a professional!

I spun a number of yarns this week, even managed to get most photographed ... but DH now has the camera!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011 11:41:47 AM »

nikschaf, I love that yarn! I have a bunch of silk blouses that I bought for 25 cent each, and I had the thought I could dye the silk with food coloring, and then tear it into strips for spinning. I'm still not sure how to go about it though. Is your yarn a single or is it plied? Can't tell from the pic. It might just be that I am blind. I'm getting my new bifocals next week.  Cheesy

I think I might need to ply my silk with a single of wool, maybe. Whatever fabric yarn I make will probably be for visual interest in a woven piece.

I don't have anything done yet, but here is some more of the San Clemente Sunset yarn. I can't decide what I want to ply it with yet, so it sits on its bobbin until I make up my mind:

This one will be plied with a heathery purple single that is on my wheel right now. This single was spun on the Turkish spindle at the park while we had nice weather, then wound onto a bobbin for plying. I thought it should be on a bobbin since the purple will be. I'll need to finish this one soon, since I don't own very many bobbins. Hopefully this weekend.

Here is a thick woolen single that I have on my Turkish spindle now. This is Sheep Shed grab bag wool that I dyed and carded into rolags.

And right now I am obsessed with pulling rovings though my comb hackle. I have more, but my camera needs new batteries. This is so fun to do. I've learned that for my comb hackle, I can't have the comb more than 1/3 full, and ideally a bit less than that. Then I can easily pull a roving without breaking the combs or hurting my wrists. The diz I use now is a washer with a 1/4 inch hole. The wool is Carol Lee's Sheep Shed dye soppers.

Hopefully next week I will actually have some finished yarn to post!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 11:47:09 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011 11:52:07 AM »

Here we go, some of the yarns I finished.  I have a couple more, but no pics yet.

This

became one ply of this 2-ply:

Eeyore - chain plyed

The boucle I plied on this single is the same boucle I used for the yarn spun from the roving in the final picture

This was spun into a single and plied with a boucle thread.  It is now being crocheted up into a triangular shawl.  I'm running out of yarn so will have to spin up some more.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 11:57:07 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011 01:05:37 PM »

Oh my goodness -- such beautiful colors this week.  The really colorful yarns are reminding me of starburst candies -- in fact my mouth is watering!  Love the combo of oranges and purples.  MLF and LaughingLark -- it's really something you two have similar yummy colorways this week!!   I'm gonna have to try an orange and purple combo sometime.

LaughingLark, my yarn is a one-ply.  It's hard to see the details of the yarn because the edges are a bit frayed.  I considered plying it with thread, but I was a little worried my joins wouldn't hold together if I did.  I had one join that came apart when I was setting the twist, so I just tied it in a knot -- I figure it's not going next to anyone's skin, so I'm not worried about a rough bump of a knot.  I might have just taken a needle and thread and thrown in a few stitches at the join otherwise.  I'd love to see what you do with those silk blouses!  With mine, I cut strips about 1" thick.  I used pinking shears to cut down on fraying and loose threads. Probably could have done thinner, but I was worried about how the gauzy cotton fabric would hold up to the tension of spinning.  Silk I'm sure you could do much thinner, since it's so strong.  I cut the ends of the strips at about a 45 degree angle to cut down on bulk at the joins.  It's a great idea to use it as an accent in weaving!  I have a rigid heddle loom sitting in a box just waiting for me to assemble it and learn how to use it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 04:34:25 PM »

Wow LL, we're really in tune this week!!

Nikschaf, that would be a great yarn for a summer hat.

Just took pics of the rest of this week's yarns.  They are indoor pics, so sorry about the quality.

2-ply. One ply is spaced dyed roving, white, pink, yellow, green, blue.  the other ply is spaced dyed roving, blue & white.

Two ply yarn spun from my Peace Rose roving (pink & orange)

Indigo dyed Icelandic

Brown shetland carded with white & reds (roving showed in post above), crocheted in a simple triangular filet shawl

And all of them together.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 05:55:28 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011 07:06:44 PM »

MLF - I love the last pic of them all together.  Just snuggled all together like a litter of kittens!  A summer hat is a great idea.  I'd have to spin up the green for enough yardage, and probably use wire in the brim since it's so heavy, I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011 04:19:55 AM »

MLF, that pile of yarn makes me drool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011 08:02:29 AM »

nikschaf, you may not need a wire, depending on the brim type.  The hat I made from cloth strips (not spun) was pretty heavy duty and the brim would stay where you put it.  It was something like THIS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

charaxesdistanti
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011 09:59:22 AM »

I've been a lurker here for awhile. Love everyone's yarns, so pretty. I finally have something to show. I don't spin a lot but I am going to try and get into it a little more.

Here is some sheep shed studio white that I got years ago, dyed with food coloring.

And this one I did a little back ago but finally got photos. It is a batt purchased from Knitpicks by Hanks in the Hood, Gasworks Park batt. It was my first time navajo plying and I loooove it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Lighten and Darken in Photoshop
How to Change People Clothing with Photoshop
Create Realistic 3D Models with Google SketchUp
How to Remove Facial Blemishes in Photoshop - Photo Editing Tips
How to Get Transitions to an IDVD Slideshow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...