A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Glitter will spruce up any body parts you have laying around the house.
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: breaking the land-speed record for crocheting a baby blanket  (Read 2459 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , granny_square  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alligatorjuice
overworked, unappreciated and undercooked

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2005 12:28:43 AM »

i had known for a while that a friend of mine was having a baby, though i thought her due-date was mid-july. boy was i wrong! it was the end of may. well, i got back from school, ordered the yarn, and then crocheted this granny-square baby afghan in five days.

i used knitpicks' crayon yarn. it's 100% cotton, and very soft. i fell in eat with this yarn so much that i'm planning to make a pair of lounge pants out of it someday. this yarn is ideal baby project yarn for many reasons - it's 100% cotton, very soft, machine washable, and best of all, it comes in bright primary and secondary colors, not just pukey pastels - in fact there's only two pastels.

the squares are really easy - the squares are red, yellow and blue, and then it's put together with green. i crocheted twelve three-round squares out of each of the three primary colors. then each color is paired with the other colors, and i did another two rounds like this. then i did one round of green, and sewed the squares together the edging (not seen in this photo) is reverse double-crochet also in green.

one note - when allowed to run around the washing machine on its own, a project made out of crayon will come out looking like a drowned rat. machine drying restores its fluffiness. however, smaller projects can be thrown into a pillowcase and washed - this reduces pilling, as well as reducing all the fuzz the yarn can shed, also, it won't come out looking stretched out and funny. after washing, take the bone out of the pillowcase and block to dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005 09:03:08 AM »

Grin I really like it and am impressed. The baby will like the contrasting colors too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_violet
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005 10:07:50 AM »

That's beautiful!

I really eat granny squares!  I should actually learn to crochet so I can make some lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_violet
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005 10:19:23 AM »

By the way, how did you like the crayola?

I'm considering buying some to make the retro throw...but am curious how neat the yarn really is before I commit...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BleuKitten
Semi-crafty cat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005 03:06:10 PM »

Impressive, I eat the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alligatorjuice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005 10:10:28 PM »

thankies, chickadees!

the baby loves the afghan - it's currently draped over one of his floor toys (you know, the things with all the dangly bits that the baby lays under) and he plays with it. i've also made him a hooded sweater of the same yarn (no pics yet) and both afghan and sweater will be put to good use when the weather gets colder. i may also make him some stuffed toys, since i have more leftover yarn.

i absolutely eat the crayon yarn - it's wonderfully soft. but see my caveat about machine washing - the yarn sheds and pills in the washer. it fares far better when washed in a pillowcase. but, as far as i have seen, the yarn holds up wonderfully in finished products.

i can't reccommend this yarn enough, it's wonderful to work with and wonderful in finished products. i'm quickly coming to eat knitpicks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005 07:27:34 PM »

I'm getting ready to crochet a baby blanket for my sister-in-law and my brother.  That yarn sounds great, but I have no idea how much I need.  How big is your blanket, and how much did you use?   Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
alligatorjuice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005 01:00:21 PM »

hmmm... let's see... i bought 16 skeins, 4 each of four colors. and i used a smidge more than half of it (i either used 2 skeins of a color, or used a small bit of the third skein). each square is a little more than 6 inches, so alltogether, it's a little over 3 feet each way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005 10:09:03 PM »

Thanks!  I'm completely clueless when it comes to purchasing enough yarn, and I don't have the extra cash to overbuy by a whole lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
alligatorjuice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005 08:21:10 PM »

well, i bought just enough to get the free shipping. and since just a little over half went into the afghan, i had enough yarn left over to make a sweater for the same baby, and i still have some more to do something with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a French Twist Hairstyle
How to Do Medieval Hairstyles
How to Wear Your Hair Tied Back
How to Do a Cute Hairstyle
How to Do Modern Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
The Latest in Zombie Decor
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...