A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas please! 5-ish months to go!!  (Read 1910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melephant

Livin' the dream!

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2011 07:22:18 AM »

Soooooo...... I've got just over 5 months 'til the big day and I've been procrastinating!! I need some help on centerpiece ideas...

I bought these birdcages at Michael's for a buck each that were just too cute to pass up. They're only about 4 inches tall but I got enough to have like 2 or 3 on each table... I'm not quite sure what I want to do with them yet. I was thinking I would have a big vase holding up tree branches and I think I want to hang the birdcages from the branches. I've been trying to decide how to dress up the cages some. I thought I might put moss in the bottom of the birdcages and have black and white pictures of my fiance and me glued to cardstock sitting on the moss. And of course some pictures would have to be our love child/great dane, because anyone who knows me, knows my dog is my LIFE.

I haven't done a mock-up of these yet because I still have to repaint the cages, collect the branches, obtain the vases from a friend (yay for money saving!), print the pics, glue them to the cardstock, etc........ So I'm kinda relying on your imaginations to conjure up the image I've described!!

If anybody has any different ideas for the birdcages let me know PLEASE! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also, opinions of what I've brainstormed so far would be great. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And well sing with the zombies
And dance with the dead.
And howl at the ghost
With the axe in his head.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 07:29:16 AM »

Could you describe the rest of your reception decor, location, etc.?

What color are you going to paint the cages?

Lots of questions! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melephant

Livin' the dream!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011 08:26:05 AM »

Our location isn't finalized yet but it's most likely going to be at an old train depot place...it's called The Hall at Old Town Plaza. Wood floors, brick walls...

Our colors are black, green, and white with some silver thrown in a little. The birdcages will be black, white, and green.

Our cake topper is lovebirds...our overall theme is like a moderny, nature-ish theme... It's kinda all over the place but hopefully it works out.

Here's the location:

We will either take down the artwork or cover it up. We're going to hang either paper lanterns or tissue paper poms from the ceiling too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And dance with the dead.
And howl at the ghost
warheart

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011 08:17:37 PM »

Not sure if this would go with your decor but I remember seeing a tutorial on martha stewart's show where she had fake little birds, covered them in mod podge and then glittered them with her brand of super fine glitter. It's pretty much the same as this tutorial. Maybe you could glitter them in your wedding colors then perch them in or on the bird cages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn is my craft drug of choice
Jainatina
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011 04:34:26 PM »

Maybe if you'd like a little bit of lighting added to your tables you could do those little battery powered votive candles in the cages. Little twinkling lights hanging from the branches would be cute. Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 05:23:36 PM »

...to expand on the last idea... Use etching cream to etch birds on glass votive holders, put a darker coloured candle in there for contrast, (or a slip of paper if you're using battery powered) and put those inside the cages... with no birds on top.  Very simple and modern.

Just a note, if you do vases with branches, make sure that the 'bulk' of the centerpiece is above everybody's head (when sitting).  Otherwise, people won't be able to talk across the table -awkward.  Or, keep them low enough that people can see over them.  I was at a wedding once where people started putting the centerpieces on the floor because they were blocking their eyeline. Yikes.

It might be cool to do a portrait of you and your fiance on an easel (either made of branches or decorated with)  then hang a couple cages off of the easel.

You could also search out some quotes about love/ flying/ wings.  These are two I found in a 30-sec search of the internet... there must be more out there...

Without love, we are birds with broken wings.
"Let your love fly like a bird on a wing."

... anyhow, if you can find enough quotations, you can incorporate them into your decor.  Like maybe a different quote on every table.

Good luck with your wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
How Lovely
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011 03:38:35 AM »

Not sure if you're in to paper craft but I saw these at a craft expo and they looked amazing!
http://www.twiddleybitz.com/default.aspx
There was also one I can't find the picture of now that was done all in white, with white fake flowers and that nice glitter they looked stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
melephant

Livin' the dream!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011 10:59:21 AM »

You guys rock. Thanks so much for all the ideas! I haven't been on Craftster in so long, between my niece's tball games and planning for the wedding and working I haven't had much free time! So since we are trying to pay for the wedding ourselves, I've been kinda stressing over how we could afford a wedding...I can only afford to put about $450 each month into the wedding account.. My photographer alone is $800 and the venue is $900!! So I started to stress.. I didn't know how in the world we would be able to afford everything.. Luckily, my best friend came to the rescue! She got married almost 2 years ago and her parents BOUGHT EVERYTHING!! They didn't rent at all because they realized they could buy everything for about the same price as renting, with the intentions of selling things later. Fortunately for me, they haven't sold anything at all... and my colors are somewhat similar to hers! We spent 3 hours looking through everything last weekend and they have sooooo much stuff I can use for free. They are the greatest!! Plus her mom (my "other mother") is sewing the bridesmaids' dresses for the girls... which is going to save me bunches also! We are moving out of state about 6 weeks after the wedding so they are our lifesavers. With the money I'm saving on the wedding, we can spend on the move! Thank god for good friends!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And dance with the dead.
And howl at the ghost
How Lovely
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011 07:57:56 PM »

So lucky! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
Kristij1201
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011 10:22:09 PM »

Would love to see what you come up with.  I know exactly which birdcages from Micheal's you are talking about.  I had to walk away from them on a couple of occasions because I just couldn't figure out what to do with them.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make This Slacker Toffee
How to Make Creme Brulee Without a Torch
How to Make a Blueberry Bruschetta: A Sweet Twist on an Italian Classic
How To Make Overnight Chia Seed Pudding
How to Make Hungover Donut Holes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...