A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: IDEAS: Creating a working place with recycled materials. (lots of pics)  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thesunandtheturtle
« on: April 14, 2011 03:46:17 AM »

Some months ago we decided to create a little workshop in our small apartment where we can make our magics. We decided to construct it under the bed (our bed is close to the ceiling). So we picked up some furniture we had in the cellar and reused some stuff that was laying all around to make a modest place where all the tools can be organized.

Some days ago I got a huge donation of materials from our neighbor Mariatta. I did not know how to accommodate all that yarn, buttons, recycled corks, thread, wood pieces etc, etc. So at the end I decided to reorganize that space.

Sometimes the coach is cozier than the workshop but I decided that maybe was better to use the workshop instead of the coach this time and make it nicer with the resources we had.

Organizing a space with low budget or no budget is easy. But it is necessary to be very resourceful and recycle all the things you can.

Here are some pictures of the result (still some things to improve. Everything little by little Smiley)

This is how it looks inside of the workshop

With some shelves we never used anywhere and recycled tiles I made space for little boxes and all the tools for painting. Also recycling a piece of the bed we took off I made a tool holder hammering some nails into the piece of wood and screwing it in the wall..
In the background there is a white dish holder that we took away from the kitchen a long time ago and I reused to hang all the earrings and jewelry.
The boxes that I use to hold beads, thread and other little things are old cake forms.

This part is still under construction. With some aluminum protective cases for 32 mm film rolls I created a holder for many small things that Mariatta gave me. All those little shiny things that you use in cards, small beads, confetti, etc, etc.

I used recycled jars to store some material as well.

his is an IKEA chair that the last person who lived here left. The color was horrible but now is painted with my favorite spirals.

To store all the small things and painting I added some recycled jars lids to the bottom of the bed to which I can screw the jars. It is a very useful way to save space in small places and looks so nice! We loved it!

TIP: If you boil the jars for 30 minutes all the paper that is on them comes off easier.

So this is what I have done so far, still lots to improve. There is no need to loose all your money in IKEA or Bauhaus buying containers and shelves, expensive wall papers and fancy fabrics.

In our culture mainstream media make us believe that everything should be bought new and fancy. Over the pass of the years mass consuming has become one of the most important ways to be manipulated. Everything is disposable, even people. I want to encourage everybody to destroy that behavior.
Using imagination and understanding that feeding the chain of consuming and throwing away creates a huge environmental and behavioral problem, is one of the reasons why we should try find usable materials in the garbage.

Lets dignify ourselves. Lets stop this consuming chain before it is too late.

This is a very important video that everybody should see about the "Story of the stuff". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8&feature=player_embedded

Hope you like my proyect!
Hugs, Jenn

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011 03:48:54 AM by thesunandtheturtle - Reason: forgot a link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zaluly
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011 03:55:52 AM »

Awesome post, love your craft space
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcorn

Don't bring your crazy here. We're all stocked up.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011 08:27:26 AM »

I love it - It is amazing! You have created a space both beautiful and useful! 
* much admiration *  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boycott haters.

http://www.wists.com/jcorn - my wist-y ideas
thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011 08:53:36 AM »

Thanks lovely ladies for your coments Smiley <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The School Lunches We Needed
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
Barbecued Chicken-Zucchini Pizza Recipe
Quick And Easy Recipes For The Back-To-School Transition
Bacon Blue Cheese Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...