A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: billboard/quote brooches and earrings  (Read 2148 times)
Tags for this thread: brooch , lips , polymer_clay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2011 11:23:02 AM »

my work generally leans towards simple colours and sculptural shapes and with the exception of striped, stacked canes i hadn't tried anything more adventurous.  this was my first attempt at a 'proper' cane.

something on your mind? grab a pen and express yourself!

these brooches remind me of a tooth paste ad (hence the title!)

the lips from the pink brooch was made with a slightly distorted cane slices hence the difference between the two.

Sweet Nothings

a pair of earrings to whisper sweet nothings to you all day long Smiley

now i just have to think of about a hundred other things to do with a lip cane.. Undecided
comments or advice are more than welcome Smiley

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011 09:39:11 PM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011 11:43:39 AM »

Those brooches are so cool! They remind me a lot of Roy Lichtenstein. You've inspired me to try out some canes to use up a bunch of my clay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarleesMom
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011 11:56:19 AM »

that would make some AWESOME wall art too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imera
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011 01:40:17 PM »

That cane is cool, love those brooches, and I love the earrings as well Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heatheres76
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011 07:00:26 PM »

That's a fantastic cane! Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011 08:08:28 AM »

Great cane (excellent job of construction and reducing too!), and love the creativity of the speech bubble as well (have you coated them with something, or recommended a certain type of pen to make any writing changeable?)

I can see them as a wall piece or lining a tray or something too just placed side by side in a grid Warhol style, but perhaps each on placed onto a different-colored backing/frame first. Or of course you could also make various face canes with the same lip cane. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011 09:48:37 PM »

Great cane (excellent job of construction and reducing too!), and love the creativity of the speech bubble as well (have you coated them with something, or recommended a certain type of pen to make any writing changeable?)

I can see them as a wall piece or lining a tray or something too just placed side by side in a grid Warhol style, but perhaps each on placed onto a different-colored backing/frame first. Or of course you could also make various face canes with the same lip cane. 

thank you.
 a fine permanent marker works well (i used this to outline the edges of the speech bubble) but is non removable unless you sand it off. i am currently experimenting with different  pens to try to find something that will adhere to the clay but simply wipe off (white board markers are ideal but i am yet to find them in a small enough size. felt tip pens also seems to work well wiping off with warm soapy water)
the clay is sanded and buffed but not coated. you need to mark sure the surface is as smooth as you can get it (so sand to 1000 grit +) otherwise when you try to wipe /wash away the ink tends to stick in grooves/finger prints in the clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 09:49:38 AM »

you need to mark sure the surface is as smooth as you can get it (so sand to 1000 grit +) otherwise when you try to wipe /wash away the ink tends to stick in grooves/finger prints in the clay

You might also want to try using white Kato Polyclay for the board since it's the densest polymer clay and even cures up with slight sheen, so should resist the best.

the clay is sanded and buffed but not coated.

Adding a layer of Varathane/etc after sanding/buffing might make a surface that's more resistant too?

i am currently experimenting with different  pens to try to find something that will adhere to the clay but simply wipe off (white board markers are ideal but i am yet to find them in a small enough size. felt tip pens also seems to work well wiping off with warm soapy water)

If some of the felt tips write well enough without clumping or skipping or staying wet/sticky, that would be great...they may vary a lot though.  Probably just need a lot of experimentation.

Have you tried things like gel pens, or non-permanent inks or tempera with a "dip pen," or colored pencils, chalk pencils, or pastel pencils?
Or you could perhaps just instruct purchasers to "erase" with alcohol or lightly with acetone (then dry right away) instead of with water (or soap and water), or even Future seems to work to remove many pigments.
Don't know if it would have better ideas, but there's info about pens that will be permanent on polymer clay (and also some that won't work so well which might work for your purposes) on this page if you want to check it out:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/letters_inks.htm > Inks for Writing and Drawing on Clay
You could also use a different material like chalkboard (or paint the clay with chalkboard paint), or glass/plastic/etc on top of the clay or framed by it?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011 09:55:18 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011 10:08:34 AM »

thank you.
coloured pencil works quite well and you can rub it off easily too Grin...though a better quality brand such as faber or derwent seems to be best, the cheaper brands with harder leads can leave gouges and scratch marks even in well cured clay.
i will look into the kato clay, its not a brand i've used before Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011 09:40:16 AM »

. . .though a better quality brand such as faber or derwent seems to be best. . .

(Prismacolor pencils should probably be included in that group too.. that brand's been recommended the most for actually drawing on polymer clay because it's so soft--not hard--and colors are nicely saturated.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Ultimate Thanksgiving Grilled Cheese Recipe
5 Genius Thanksgiving Leftover Hacks
How To Make Thanksgiving Quinoa Stuffing
How to Make Thanksgiving Turkey With a Twist
5 Ways to Prepare Your Oven for Thanksgiving
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...