A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to sewing....ugh.  (Read 3098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mommy2jnd
« on: April 13, 2011 10:38:43 AM »

I've been crocheting for about a year and decided, why not sew, too? So I bought a machine and some fabric and thought "can't be that hard". Really. Wow. I've made some OK curtains, but that's it. I can't get the hang of sewing in a straight line, AT ALL. I want to make some cute clothes for my kids, but seriously, if I can't even sew in a straight line, how am I supposed to figure all of that out? Any advice for a newbie?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergramma
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011 05:13:43 PM »

I also crochet, I taught myself from a book.  It took time, patience, and practice to get my stitch tension even so that they all looked the same. 

The same is true of sewing, it takes practice.  Get some scraps and practice, practice, practice.  Go slowly.  Keep the edge of the fabric lined up with the edge of the presser foot.  Practice lining it up with the marks on the machine.  Put a piece of masking tape on the bed of the machine and use that to line up the edge of your fabric.

Most of all practice.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omgitsalisa
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011 11:34:17 AM »

Yeah, I've only been sewing off and on for a year and I can promise that it does get better. The most important thing I've found is just to go very slowly until you're really comfortable going faster. I am not comfortable so I keep my machine's speed slider all the way down most of the time. Also, my machine came with a couple of accessories that make certain straight-line-sewing tasks much easier. I don't know the name of the foot but it has a little metal sort-of-blade that lets me butt my fabric up against that and makes my topstitching pretty much perfect every time.The other is the quilting guide that makes sewing parallel lines pretty simple - I have a much easier time lining my fabric up with a physical barrier than a line.

But yeah, like monstergramma said, practice and go slowly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011 12:42:32 AM »

When I took home ec in school decades ago, the teacher had us use a dull needle, unthreaded, to sew through ruled paper. Over and over and over and over. Then do the same with circle patterns and that sort of thing. It really helps to develop the ability to sew in a straight line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sjones
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011 06:14:44 PM »

ditto! I think a needle (not threaded) and paper would be good too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hooksforfeet
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011 04:12:52 PM »

You can even try drawing your line on your fabric with chalk. t's sort of like the paper idea, you just have to follow the line. Make sure that you cut your fabric straight and then use the little measurement divets on the side of your machine, or the edge of the foot. So long as the fabric is cut straight and it lines up with the ruler or the foot, your seam will be straight.

Also, don't PULL the fabric. Set it up straight and gently guide it in place. And I always make a wierdo line when I go too fast, so take it slow until you feel comfortable. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gleamy
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011 09:06:11 PM »

I crochet as well. I talked about sewing for a year and finally got a machine for Christmas (I opened it before Christmas). i completely lost the will to crochet and have been sewing some pillows.

I can definitely relate to the crooked lines. I sew with white thread so that it is hard to see on my fabric. I hope you have fun with it none the less and keep practicing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasana
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011 06:05:55 PM »

I'm sort of in the same boat and encouraged to keep practicing more. I used to sew all my own clothes years ago, but haven't for a long time and now that I'm trying it again, I find that I am terrible at it! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Birdette
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012 04:33:44 PM »

My best advice is to look where you're about to sew, and not at the needle. It's easier to control when you use that technique, it can also help to use one hand behind the foot and one in front lightly to guide the fabric.

I still have all the templates that my teachers gave me to practise on! Ff you buy some cheap calico cut it into square and draw designs like straight lines to start with and work your way up to swirls, learning to pivot cleanly and guide the fabric will come easier.

IT's hard not to get frustrated but it'll pay off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012 07:19:54 PM »

I'm more of a jump right in and go type. There are darling children's clothing patterns to make simple dresses and shorts.  Skip the ones with zippers until you are more comfortable. Pick up a basic sewing book to place next to your machine. I've been hobby sewing for twenty years and still rely on a reference book occassionally.

I started making doll clothes. They usually call for an interesting technique to learn and you aren't gambling with much fabric or trim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hide Gray Hairs
How to Fix a Fake-Looking Self-Tan
Marc Jacobs Launches His Beauty Range ‘Marc Jacobs Beauty’ in Paris.
2014 Fashion Week Beauty: The Natural Look Returns
Mila Kunis Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...