A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pen Bouquet with Helpful Hints - Tutorial  (Read 2324 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , flower_pen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kcartwright856
« on: April 13, 2011 12:52:06 AM »

There are already some of these floating around Craftster and you may have seen these decorating desks around your local businesses! It's the simple, classic pen bouquet.

I didn't think to take any photographs while I was putting them together, and I only have phone pics of the finished product, but it should be plenty to give you ideas for your own pen bouquet!

It was made for my sister-in-law's daycare that has a garden theme, so she specifically requested gerber (Gerbera? I've seen it spelled both ways!) daisies. I picked out as many different colors as the store had to make sure that it was bright and colorful! She gave me a pack of standard Bic pens and set me loose!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216847_1629007292958_1469850003_31239340_4212592_n.jpg

I chose a really simple glass vase and clear, iridescent marbles so that they wouldn't compete with the bright colors of the daisies, but instead simply complement them. The marbles are an excellent addition to the vase because they help keep the pens in place when you stab them back into the vase!

First, I took the caps off of the pens, filled the cap with hot glue, and stuck it onto the back of the pen. This gave me extra length and something to anchor the very thick stems to. This step isn't necessary at all, especially if you chose flowers with thinner stems. I opted to also hot glue the flower stem to the pen for extra security before I started wrapping everything up in floral tape.

Start at top and work your way down with the floral tape, being sure to stretch the tape as you wind it around the pen. You might come across some tricky areas as you try to cover the top of the cap and ends of your stems, but go slow and all will be well! Don't forget to overlap your edges for full coverage. When you have as much of the pen covered as you'd like, simply rip the floral tape and press the end down. It should blend it perfectly! The pen might feel a bit tacky when holding it due to the nature of the floral tape, but it will fade with use. Also, don't throw them away when they run out of ink! The floral tape unwinds easily and, if you used hot glue, the flower stem will pop right off so that you can put it on a new pen.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208129_1629009053002_1469850003_31239346_925398_n.jpg

That's about what your finished pen should look like. You can vaguely see where my cap and stem rest beneath the tape.

Now, fill your vase with marbles and stab the pens into place!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208600_1629014813146_1469850003_31239364_4918881_n.jpg

Almost looks like a real bouquet! Have fun and don't forget to put a sign near the vase if your pens are for public use. My husband complains that he feels like a schmuck at the doctor's office when he stands at the desk and waits for the secretary to hand him a pen!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012 02:28:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnB
Crafting my way to oblivion!

Crafting my way to oblivion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011 01:25:23 AM »

What a great idea! It would also keep people from accidentally putting a pen in their pocket at the customer service desk of our shop...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://thecraftyginger.com

What happens when a bunch of women on a remote military tour get together in the yarn capital of the world?

Participating in:

2011: The year of monthly craft exchanges!
 - May: Dishalicious Dishcloth/Washcloth Swap Rd 11
Ms. Neeners
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011 04:32:20 AM »

What a great idea!

What a great idea! It would also keep people from accidentally putting a pen in their pocket at the customer service desk of our shop...

You may see them putting them into their lapel or behind their ear instead  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011 04:54:24 AM »

Thanks, guys! Like I said, it's not an original idea at all, but I figured I'd post it anyway to help anyone that might be interested!

SnB, you should totally make one for the desk at your shop! Artificial flowers and basic pens are inexpensive, as is the floral tape. It doesn't take long to make them at all, either! Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jcorn

Don't bring your crazy here. We're all stocked up.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011 06:47:45 AM »

I have seen flower pens at a few local shops, but nothing this BEAUTIFUL!!  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boycott haters.

http://www.wists.com/jcorn - my wist-y ideas
kcartwright856
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011 08:00:04 PM »

Thanks so much! These flowers, the vase, and the marbles all came from my local Walmart. I'm assuming that the products are mostly the same in all of the chains, so you can have one just like it if you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stevesdiybride
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011 08:32:03 AM »

This is a super cute Idea! great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to run with scissors it makes me feel dangerous
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Moto Jackets for Under $200
Alexander Wang For H&M Getting Rave Reviews
Forever 21 Launches Simpsons Inspired Collection
5 Best Celebrity Inspired Halloween Costumes For 2014
Diane Kruger Reveals Why She’ll Never Wear a Ball Gown Again
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...