A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ArtFire? Worth the time?  (Read 534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladymizri
« on: April 12, 2011 01:45:36 PM »

I recently stumbled across artfire.com while looking for an out of print pattern, and got to poking around a bit and it seems like a good place to expand my business.  I was just wondering if anyone else has sold there and what are the pros/cons over just staying with etsy only. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011 05:56:14 PM »

It's only worth the time if you make it worth the time.

Now I don't sell anywhere but I am hoping to in the next year or so thus I've been doing lots of researching about where to sell. My top two options being Artfire and Etsy.

So...I've read many threads about Artfire vs Etsy...and it's always a toss. Some people do amazingly well on Artfire...others don't. Same thing for Etsy.

Simply put, for the most part, Artfire draws customers from the outside and Etsy draws them from the inside.

I will admit I prefer to shop on Etsy rather than Artfire though if I want to buy something I'll check for a Artfire store first. I haven't bought anything there yet, but I want to just so I know how it works (some people say it's a bit more confusing than Etsy when going through the check out process)

Then in general, it's always better to "spread your eggs rather than putting them all in one basket". Anyway, what can it hurt just to try it for a fair enough amount of time?

Honestly, people ask this and some will say they did horrible and didn't sell a thing (and also admit they did absolutely no advertising, just crossed their fingers that somebody would find the store) and others who advertised like crazy did quite well.

Oh, and I also like the feature where you don't have to make an account to buy something. Which can have it's cons, but personally I hate having to make a million accounts everywhere. I made an account on Etsy when I first found it because I knew I'd be buying more from there...but what if somebody just wants one thing and doesn't want to make an account? Much easier.

So...I guess we'll see if anybody with first hand experience will come along. This is mostly just what I've noticed when I've researched it and read many other people's experiences, etc, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CutYourHeartOut
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011 03:26:18 PM »

I tried Artfire a couple of years ago around the same time I started my Etsy site.  I had a lot more sales on Etsy so ditched my Artfire account.  However, I think I'm going to give it another go and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cut.Your.Heart.Out - handmade jewelry, accessories, home decor and art work

Moxie and Mischief - for kids with energy, spunk and spirit
happyfunballxd
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011 04:49:57 PM »

Personally, I really like ArtFire. I never sold at Etsy, but I love the idea that you can list for free on AF. Having multiple options is great. If I had the income, I would go for their subscription, but as my store is now, it's very nice. I've sold a few things already, an' I never had a problem with it.

The downside, I guess, is that Etsy is still a lot more popular, so people are going to look there first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wacky, nerdy, funny, creepy. But always with a touch of cute.~ Happy Fun Ball XD Crafts
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011 04:00:54 AM »

It's only worth the time if you make it worth the time.

Ditto - first question: why do you want to expand? If your Etsy sales aren't hopping off the charts, it means you're not marketing it enough. Opening a 2nd store somewhere simply means you'll have two shops you're not marketing, which will spread you thinner and frustrate you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladymizri
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011 07:15:52 PM »

My sales are kinda slow right now, but I'm also trying to break into a small market.  I was looking at ArtFire to expand to potential clients who might not find me on etsy.  I started the AF account, but while trying to list an item, I could only get one picture to upload.  I don't know if it was a problem with the site or my slow internet.  (I live in the country and internet isn't the best out here.)  Maybe I'll try again and see what happens.  Thanks for the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fade Dark Spots and Acne Scars
Flawless Foundation Makeup Tutorial
Choosing an Orange Lipstick
How To Get Red Carpet Ready
Jonathan Saunders London Fashion Fall 2014 Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...