A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Skirt Swap Gallery  (Read 4849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whats_her_name
« on: April 12, 2011 08:21:08 AM »

Crafty Skirt Swap Gallery

Discussion thread is here.
Sent/Received Status is on the discussion thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011 08:21:47 AM »

We have our first sent package already - can hardly wait to see it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainysunshine789
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011 11:56:17 AM »

I received!  Sadly, I can't take pictures of myself.  So I only have pictures of this adorable skirt on the hanger.  It's a transparent top layer (and drape) over a nude colored solid skirt.  It looks so cute on me (and fits perfectly).  Hopefully you can get the idea from the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

http://pinterest.com/laneyruth/

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
Inchies Mania Swap ~ Set #1 done, Set #2 begun
Jar of Whimsies Rd 12 ~ Partners! Stalk
glasstapper
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011 07:30:28 PM »

I'm so happy you like it! Smiley

I took some pictures on my dressform before I sent, hope it's ok to post them?

It should come to right above the knee

Closer shot (sorry for the ugly background  Grin)

Just to show that the drape it attached at sideseam and waistband and then tacked down, not part of the skirt front

I made beltloops and laced a ribbon through just for effect, I think it would look better with a small black belt or so; it's an elastic waistband and personally I think those look better covered

View of back. I cut the ribbon extra long, but it's just sealed with a lighter so easy to shorten.

It was basically a rectangle gathered to an elastic waistband, and I liked the drapeyness of the mesh so felt like the front drape would be appropriate. Rainysunshine789 said she wasn't picky so I got a lot of creative freedom. Wink

I was really happy to make it and I'm so glad you like it and it fits! Can't wait to see what everyone else creates, I love skirts! Smiley

<3 Glasstapper
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011 07:32:15 PM by glasstapper » THIS ROCKS   Logged
whats_her_name
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011 07:39:00 PM »

It's really very pretty and I love the ribbon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 10:04:20 PM »

i think its wonderful! the ribbon is a nice touch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011 06:46:04 AM »

Ooooo, very classy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 06:13:46 AM »

Love the drape, its a beautiful skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011 04:08:03 PM »

I received the most awesome skirt today from Calabaza! Its so steampunky, but totally daily wear. Can you believe she made the pattern herself? I really don't have the best pictures since apparently my entire family is camera incapable (yes its a DSLR, but all you do is point and click. No, just hold it like a normal camera and push the button. Yes you have to look through the viewfinder... sigh) but with the help of my sister and my mom I got a decent one:

See how gorgeous! My sister even liked it (she prefers mini skirts in bright colors) and said that its coming to the Ren Faire with us!

And a close up of the pocket:

Gears! I really love it, and it fits great! Sorry its a little wrinkly in the pictures, I took it out of the box and immediately put it on! Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011 04:22:08 PM »

Whew! I'm glad you like it...and you thought it was steampunk-y! Steampunk is super hard for me to do, but somehow it just worked out this time  Grin Yay!

I had my mom model it before it left so I got some pics I thought I'd share:

That little frill below the ruching was a total pain, but I had tons of fun with everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011 08:06:06 AM »

Hey, are those cogs from a punch tool???  Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011 08:25:41 AM »

No, the cogs were made by painting them on with the aid of a freezer paper stencil. I cut out the cog shapes with a craft knife and painted on the reverse side, allowing it to bleed through to create the "distresssed" look on the side showing. The other side is lined so you can't see the side I painted on.

I made the skirt its own thread on the clothing board here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=378602.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_sweet_little_ramona
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011 08:27:04 AM »

Wowzah, I really like the skirts so far!

The steampunk skirt's colors are really nice and I like how you added the draw string in the front Cheesy

The floral skirt's pattern(both in design and print) are lovely! What kind of fabric is it made out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasstapper
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011 04:08:05 PM »

I love your waistband, the gathers look so perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_ChiHa
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011 01:08:56 PM »

I love the colors of the first skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasstapper
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011 02:27:41 PM »

Wowzah, I really like the skirts so far!

The steampunk skirt's colors are really nice and I like how you added the draw string in the front Cheesy

The floral skirt's pattern(both in design and print) are lovely! What kind of fabric is it made out of?

Sorry, missed this one! The fabric is a sort of drapey mesh, definitely synthetic. It's see-through so the skirt has some nude lining fabric. I really liked the fabric and actually bought the fabric a few years ago, before those kinds of flowers were so popular. Psychic! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasstapper
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011 09:43:46 AM »

Oh my gosh. I went to check my mailbox yesterday, and what was inside?

Billy's excited to find out, too!

I opened the box, and...

What's this?? Satin? I have an irrevocable love for satin!
What's even better is the gorgeous chocolate brown, and the deep teal (it's photographing bluer than it is). They look so beautiful together, so classy, so amazing!

I had to try it on my dressform.

See those drapey folds? That gathering center band? That color blocking!

And what about the back?

It's like a chocolate wedding cake! See the exactly even pleats, the neat center back panel, and don't even get me started about that perfectly inset, immaculate little zipper.

I had to try it on (it even matched my outfit--psychic!)

And see, I even cleaned my room for you all. All that's left are the presents... Lots and lots of presents.

You can note the figure-hugging feminine form, the way the waistband dips at center front to make anyone more hour-glassy, and the general amazingness. 

Rainysunshine789, you need to set up an etsy shop for exclusive customers like me who will pay a million dollars for skirts like this. (Note: please wait until I am a millionaire first.)

I love it, thank you!
-Glasstapper
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011 09:46:06 AM by glasstapper » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainysunshine789
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011 12:46:48 PM »

I'm so glad you like it, it fits, etc!  I know it looks funny just sitting there, but it's made to be worn!  It looks like it fits on you just perfect.  I'm glad you appreciate all the little details.  They were a lot of work, but it was fun and totally worth it since you seem to love it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

http://pinterest.com/laneyruth/

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
Inchies Mania Swap ~ Set #1 done, Set #2 begun
Jar of Whimsies Rd 12 ~ Partners! Stalk
whats_her_name
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011 02:21:53 PM »

It does look a little funny on the floor, but definitely made to be worn - looks very flattering!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011 03:50:34 PM »

WOW! That skirt is so pretty!...I'm worried about the one I made now! Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_ChiHa
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011 10:12:21 AM »

Amazing skirt!! I love the draping!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousPrecious

i ♥ my craft

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011 06:52:25 PM »

It's here! My amazing skirt from The_ChiHa!

The fit, colours and appliqué are all perfect and the weight of the fabric will be excellent for winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere).

A close up of the robot appliqué!

I had this one in my inspiration list but the one The_ChiHa did for me is like a million times cooler.

Thanks so much, I had a brilliant time in this swap. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my wist
Check out what I'm listening to on last.fm
Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011 07:29:13 PM »

I love the robots! Too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
glasstapper
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011 08:50:25 PM »

That plaid is such a great choice! I love the colors and the bias cut. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_ChiHa
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011 07:30:34 AM »

I'm so glad you like it! I loved how it turned out! I might have to make one for me now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whats_her_name
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011 08:00:46 AM »

Those robots are too cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011 10:24:53 AM »

i am jealous of the robots! very cute skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Missing_Muse

Craft like you care!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011 01:33:55 PM »

Those robots are adorable! And the draping on the chocolate skirt is perfect. Must have taken forever to figure it out. Everything so far is just gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organizing my first swap:  Go Green Quick and Easy Weekend Swap!
whats_her_name
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011 01:38:55 PM »

OK, so I received my skirts - and yes, I received 2!!  My original partner and I decided to continue our swap as a personal swap (some of you may have noticed that I had to switch partners in the beginning of the swap because I wasn't paying enough attention to allergy information -- oops!)

Anyway, first up, from my official partner, sweet_sweet_little_ramona I received this recon'd skirt - she added paw prints on it to give it a cute spin.  (Don't mind my gross mirrors - my 3 yr old has suddenly decided that licking his finger and running it over the mirror is a fun activity.  NO idea where he got that from, but it's impossible to keep the mirrors clean- ugh!).  The skirt is a little long, but I can fix that in a jiffy...

And next, from my first partner, glasstapper, I received this summery yellow skirt.  My camera couldn't autofocus for some reason and this was the best shot I could get.  

So ladies, if you were able to get better pictures, please feel free to upload them too.

Thanks to both of you, I had a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 01:39:42 PM by whats_her_name » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011 01:44:11 PM »

My partner has received and she told me to go ahead and post a pic.  So this is the skirt I made for sweet_sweet_little_ramona.

It's the a-line panel skirt from Sew Serendipity, and since my partner said she didn't want any big embellishment as she wanted to wear it to work, I decided that a small ruffle would be enough.

I couldn't try it on because it's not my size, but she says it fits well.  I hope you're enjoying wearing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasstapper
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011 12:28:11 AM »

Hey, sorry it's taken a few days to post these, but I did take a ton of pictures before I sent, so here are some! Smiley

The skirt on my dressform

Detail shot of lace applique flower. You have no idea how proud I was to find perfect matches for both the blue and the yellow, and use one as top thread and one in the bobbin-- the zigzag just disappears over the lace and it comes out looking much cleaner than ribbon trim!

This shows the lace trim along the bottom and how there are two hems for some interest-- the fabric was thin and pretty see-through, so I thought two layers would be better.

This is the inside of the garment showing the center back (/only) seam. I wanted to make it french seams, but forgot in the middle and therefore stitched the seam allowances together to make mock french seams.

And this was me messing around with my dressform to see the other possibilites. Smiley

As you can tell, I planned the flower to be at center front, but I think I like it off to the side like that even better!
I'm really glad it fits and you enjoy it. Smiley

-Glasstapper
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 06:47:05 AM by glasstapper » THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_ChiHa
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011 01:39:22 PM »

I received my skirt!! It's so awesome!! It's this beautiful peach satin with ruffles at the bottom!! I love it!
I'm going to take pics when I get home tonight!
Thanks Vicious_Precious!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousPrecious

i ♥ my craft

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011 02:22:30 PM »

I'm so glad you like it. Much swap anxiety over this one. Cheesy

I will get in a couple of sneaky pics but I would love to see it on the person it was intended for.

I started with this second hand evening gown

And came up with this ruffle skirt

One of the most fun swaps to craft for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my wist
glasstapper
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011 03:22:35 PM »

That pink skirt is sooooo cute! I love the romantic ruffles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011 03:44:56 AM »

WOW--this is an amazing gallery! You've all done such a great great job. It's so fun to see how different and creative you've all been. Brava seamstresses Cheesy

Quest: Your dress forms are obviously for your own size...how to you up/downsize for your partner, then?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 03:46:32 AM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
glasstapper
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011 04:45:51 PM »

[Quest: Your dress forms are obviously for your own size...how to you up/downsize for your partner, then?
[/quote]

For me, I actually didn't need to use the dressform for my partners' skirts, and I don't think they would have been that helpful, either since they don't extend very far down. My skirts were pretty basic in shape so I could rely on flat patternmaking. But, in the past when I've done shirts for other people, I've just added more batting to my dressform (under the stretch cover) to match the measurements. In reality, my dressform is a size or two smaller than me and I've padded it to fit my size and shape better. Normally she wears one of my bras as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011 10:43:03 AM »

Look at the super-de-duper skirt I got from Alchamy!

Here is is on:

And me trying to show the lacy-ness of it:

And, of course, a floor shot:

Thank you sooooo much, Alchamy! You are a WONDERFUL partner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011 10:51:43 AM »

Yay! I'm glad you like it! I actually ran out of yarn so I had to switch to the second color... and then when I ran out of that I went through my stash and found the EXACT same color of the first yarn in a completely different yarn. It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
ViciousPrecious

i ♥ my craft

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011 02:16:15 PM »

Very nice! I was really interested to see what you would make Alchamy513 after reading your posts in the discussion thread. It sort of looks like a pleated skirt from a distance.

What a diverse and beautiful gallery we have! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my wist
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011 06:34:38 PM »

Finally here is the beautiful skirt that whats_her_name made me

sorry it took so long but we we're in finals atm!
I wore it to school twice and got some complements! 

Sorry yr skirt was to long I thought I measured it right :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whats_her_name
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011 07:27:42 PM »

The little ruffle is so cute.  Smiley  I made myself the skirt too (in black) and I've received some compliments too.

And really no biggie about the length - just a little snip snip and a new hem and it's all fixed!  Grin Grin Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasstapper
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011 12:45:08 AM »

And the last post! Here's the skirt I got from whats_her_name, luckily sent out before the Canada Post went on strike! :0

This super sweet card it came with, which I think is really adorable.

It's a button-up wraparound with (perfectly understitched) contrast facing that you can show off by rolling the waistband down!

A close-up of those awesome pleats and supersweet buttons. Don't you love the turquoise peeking out?

And a picture on me. These never turn out well because I have to take them of myself in my windowless bedroom. Tongue

I love it, it's so crisp and fresh with a perfect color scheme!

Thanks so much whats_her_name!

<3 Glasstapper
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011 05:40:26 AM »

So cute on you! What great details too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011 07:38:23 AM »

I'll second that - looks really cute on you!  Glad you like the colors!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011 12:38:15 PM »

I angeled for Missing muse, but she seems to have gone mia too.. :/
So I'm posting a pic of the skirt I sent her.

on me:

on the table

sure hope she liked it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011 01:41:24 PM »

Love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011 01:47:07 PM »

Cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicy Meatball Submarine Sandwich Recipe
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Lemon Thyme Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...