A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip:  Avoid bath salts and exfoliants.  They destroy tasty rotting flesh.
Total Members: 308,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arty birthday party for soon-to-be 8 year old.  (Read 647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onceinlovewithAmy
« on: April 11, 2011 06:12:56 PM »

My stepdaughter is turning eight at the end of next month and I wanted to get a jump start on planning her party. This will be the third party I've thrown for her and I'm pretty excited about the theme. The first party I did for her was Dora, then Strawberry Shortcake, and now I wanted to get away from the characters themes a little bit so I'm throwing her an art party. She LOVES art in must about all forms, has her little heart set on being an art teacher when she grows up (lol). I think it'd be neat for her to have an art party for her eighth birthday. Last year I was going to throw her a bug party, while she was in the midst of a bug-obsessed phase; she LOVED going out and finding bugs in the yard and playing with them, putting them in a little bug kit thing. We ended up cancelling the party, but not before I had already bought a bunch of bug kits like these:
http://www.dollartree.com/Spring-Fling/Spring-Toys/Magnifying-Bug-Discovery-Kits/400c334c334p317846/index.pro

So now I'm trying to figure out how to swing it. It's obviously going to be more complicated to plan than the character parties of the past since there won't be any obvious colors or images to play with (Strawberry Shortcake party, for example, was pink, red, and green with lots of Strawberry Shortcake stuff). Activities might be a little more challenging to plan, too... but maybe that's just because I can't think of anything!

I still have a stash of those bug kits (quite a few of them--ten, I think?), so I'm also trying to think of a way to work those into the art theme, since she's outgrown the bug thing. If anybody has any creative ideas of how to work those in that'd be RAAR grr ugggh.

I'm still brainstorming... her birthday isn't until May 27th, and her party will be probably the week before since her birthday falls on Memorial Day weekend.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011 06:32:25 PM »

When my daughter turned three we had an arty party, for her cousins aged up to 15, and the most loved project of the day was tie dye effect butterflies.

I painted some wooden clothespegs, and glued magnets to the back. On the day of the party, the children used droppers with food dye on coffee filter papers to make colourful wings. When they were dry we scrunched them and placed in the peg. So simple, but everyone loved them! With a bit of reworking for older kids, you could attach the wings so that the peg bit is still usable as a clip, then you could use them to hold notes on the fridge.

Also, try http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/ because they have a heap of themes, and always lots of activities and decoration ideas. They have cake ideas for an arty theme too, if I remember correctly (my daughter is five and a half now)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
onceinlovewithAmy
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011 10:40:52 AM »

Thanks! Was the butterfly craft like this one? http://craftsandartforchildren.blogspot.com/2009/08/easy-tye-dye-butterfly-craft-for-kids.html

I'm just trying to picture what it's supposed to look like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011 05:13:00 PM »

Yes, pretty much! We put the antennae on flat instead of poking up like that, but other than that. I'd seen the markers/spray water method, but wasn't sure I could get markers that would work in Australia, and also, the kids seemed to have more fun with the droppers. Plastic tablecloths from the dollar store are a great investment for art parties Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Kim Kardashian Look
FIRST LOOK: Alexander Wang – NYFW Spring 2014
4 Must-Do Trends For Homecoming Dresses
How to Pick the Perfect Booties for Fall
Jennifer Lopez October 2013 Cosmo Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...