A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Movie Poster Handkerchief Box - Upcycled Calendar Pages - lots of photos  (Read 3128 times)
Tags for this thread: storage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

veritate
Drowning in UFOs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 11, 2011 05:36:20 PM »

My best friend and I share a fierce love of classic film and of handmade gifts. I went through a big crochet phase just before Christmas this year and I found this tutorial for how to make lovely "handkerchief boxes" out of cardstock:

Robyne Melia is Bobby La: Box Tutorial Sort of Thing
- These are similar to the ubiquitous "Christmas Card Baskets" so many people have in their collections, only I think her handkerchief boxes are exquisite.

I had an old 2008 calendar filled with classic movie posters in my scrapbooking supplies and I realized the images would be perfect for making the handkerchief box, so I set to work. The thing about a 12-month calendar is that it has the perfect number of images to use for a six-sided box (6 inside and 6 outside). I'm definitely looking at old calendars with a different eye now!

I used heavy-duty sheet protectors to "laminate" the pieces. If I were to do it again, I would have actually taken them to get laminated. It would have made it more polished. My friend really liked it and said it looked "professional", so I guess it's fine as it is.

Here is what I ended up with:

All the panels, inside and out. Click to embiggen:

Metropolis on the inside of the cover.
Valentino looks longingly at a coy Hepburn
Veronica Lake keeps her eye on the Marx Brothers
The inside bottom: Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes"
Glamorous Gilda (Rita Hayworth) on the top. I made the tassel out of a plastic ring and a gold bead.
Front and side: Fred and Ginger invite you to dance. Another coy Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's
Side and back: Buster Keaton races toward the War of the Worlds
The outside bottom: Kubric's gotta' go and ruin everything by making a poster without any faces on it. This is the least-seen panel, so I put it on the bottom

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catango
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011 05:37:35 PM »

love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011 05:52:23 PM »

Very nice!  <3 it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
Jeanie B
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011 12:49:31 AM »

Wow! This is a brilliant example! I posted one I made a few months ago on Crafter, again after finding the Bobby La tutorial. I have been saving calendar pics too! What size is yours?

I'm interested in the 'laminating' theory - did you use plastic on both sides or the outside only? Also, I'm not sure what heavy duty sheet protectors are or how they'd translate into the stock I find ay my (UK) stationers?  Undecided
I'd love to make a whole bunch of these boxes for different people - thanks for sharing!
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veritate
Drowning in UFOs

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011 07:58:38 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words!

Jeanie B - Oh yes! I saw the one you made - with the gold thread and the beautiful images of John Wayne and dancing girls! It's beautiful and I love the shape yours took!

I have tried looking for them on Craftster but it's difficult because everyone calls it something different. And I didn't know which category to post in. Is it a papercraft? A Crochet craft? I figured it's something that might sit on a dresser and it's decorative, so I put it under housewares. But who knows... Then I found a great thread in the "Vintage Crafts" on it - here is that thread: Back in the Day it was Frugal - Today it's Going Green That thread still doesn't qualify or categorize it. I like to call it a "Handkerchief Box", though. Seems so delicate and dainty!

In answer to your questions; I used plastic on both sides. I used a sheet protector, which is a plastic sleeve that one uses in a binder to keep paper crisp and clean. You can buy them at any office supply store here in North America, and I am pretty sure you'd have them in the UK. According to Wikipedia, you call them Punched Pockets: Punched Pocket - Wikipedia.org. The ones I used are substantially thick and strong.

If I were to make another one, I would consider having them laminated professionally, using fused plastic. I just think it would make it stronger and more sturdy. I'd also use more holes closer together, with fewer stitches in each (I spaced mine about " apart and used five stitches in each hole).

My base and top are 13 x 13 cm (7" square). The sides are 14 cm high and 16 cm wide at their widest point.

I have a Gene Kelly calendar and a Star Wars calendar here on my desk, which I am eying and itching to start on right away!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011 08:11:11 PM by veritate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jeanie B
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011 03:24:54 AM »

There is a Flickr group with some nice photos here http://www.flickr.com/groups/1452976@N23/

Thanks for the additional info - punched pockets makes perfect sense, I guess keeping everything inline whilst you punch the holes becomes a little trickier the more layers you have!

I'd love to see your Gene Kelly box when it's done! I'm going to try one of the vase designs next.
 Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
veritate
Drowning in UFOs

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011 08:41:04 AM »

I used a binder clip to hold all the layers together while I cut them out and punched holes. It made it quite easy.

I did see that flickr group and I should put my photos up on flickr to sort of contribute.

I'll definitely post photos of the Gene Kelly box when it's done. I chose the images and traced the shapes last night. It will be a six-sided box for myself. I have to decide what colour thread to use.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lidehtium
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 03:23:41 AM »

This looks beautiful! And gave me wonderful ideas of things to do with all the calendars/pictures/paper Ive been saving Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pizza Pinwheels
How to Make Mac and Cheese in a Rice Cooker
Savory French Toast BLT Recipe
Old-Fashioned Cheeseburgers
Paul McIlhenny, Tabasco CEO Dies at 68
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...