A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Walmart says they're bringing back fabrics!  (Read 6446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Daft Crafter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011 10:10:59 PM »

Luckily, our Wal-mart by me didn't do away with fabric, and they have a decent selection. Glad to hear they are bringing the fabrics back there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
so.breathless
Shiny objects...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011 06:40:36 AM »

Thats such good news! That pre-cut section they have now is a poor excuse. I generally loathe walmart & try to avoid when I can but I did often raid their fabric section for budget friendly choices for costumes & lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fochaux
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011 11:57:41 AM »

finally!  the precut stuff is a joke
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011 01:12:01 PM »

Pressure WORKS, with Walmart. A couple of years ago, my friend in the fabric section warned me that her department was going to disappear, with the remodel of the store. She pointed out that many of the servicemen's wives at a nearby Air Force base and Army base were big into quilting, and that this was the only low-priced alternative for fabrics, to the spectacularly overpriced JoAnn's- she was concerned for those gals. So I started an email / letter writing campaign, and told her to pass the word on to the Mountain Home/Gowen gals to do the same. Amazingly, the fabric section was kept, after the remodel, and years later, it's still there (as is my friend). She tells me that occasionally, the general manager will say something about them closing it out, but it hasn't happened yet.  Wink Fingers crossed- if a real threat surfaces, though, we'll just start harassing Corporate again!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011 02:17:28 PM »

any idea on how I can get walmart's british cousin Asda to start selling fabric?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011 08:41:11 AM »

"Our customers are telling us they want it back,"

I thought we told them we didn't want it gone, before they even did that!  And considering WM is selling organic cotton kids' clothing at very reasonable prices, I'm thinking cotton prices weren't the big factor.  I think they didn't want to pay employees; they did away with their fabric sections at about the same time they did away with layaway - anything that required someone to actually work serving customers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011 02:51:30 PM »

One of the three Walmarts in our city carried fabric.  They took the fabric section out for several months- I cannot remember how many - but due to the UPROAR, the fabric department is back, and it's bigger and offers better fabric now.  And, Walmart has some GREAT buttons - good quality and lower cost than JoAnn's.  But without a coupon, or a sale on things I want, I won't even shop at JoAnn's - they are overpriced for poorer quality.  I will pay more at a quilt shop knowing I'm getting good quality fabric.  And now I'll shop at Walmart, but I'm still more careful about looking there.  Walmart is finally steering away from polyester based fabrics, thank goodness.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
fiberartist219
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011 07:45:53 PM »

"Our customers are telling us they want it back,"

I thought we told them we didn't want it gone, before they even did that!  And considering WM is selling organic cotton kids' clothing at very reasonable prices, I'm thinking cotton prices weren't the big factor.  I think they didn't want to pay employees; they did away with their fabric sections at about the same time they did away with layaway - anything that required someone to actually work serving customers.

I'm pretty sure that's why they closed them. The fabric department at my local Walmart was always terrible. I could find what I needed at a great price, but I had to wait around for literally, a half hour, to get someone to cut it. There were many times that I was tempted to jump behind the counter and cut it myself, but then I didn't know how to pay for it without someone to put a sticker on it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decarillion
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011 05:52:05 AM »

My local WM has been moving stuff around the store, for the last month; moving aisles of things from back of store to front, and vice-versa.

Lo and behold, they have made room, once again, for fabric! I know that WM is bringing fabric back, but I wonder if it is coming back to ALL stores.

At any rate, it's too early to see just how much they are carrying; all that is in place is a cutting table and some bolts of fabric, thus far.

I don't sew a lot, but I am excited Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raewolo
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011 10:12:37 AM »

i enjoy my wal-mart's fabric department. it's not crazy fantastic, but they have a ton of prints, bright threads and beautiful buttons....everything i love to use! otherwise, i drive 20 minutes away to my favorite fabric store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Baseball Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Didier Ludot in Paris
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Vintage Bowles - Shopping Odetta Vintage in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...