A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Walmart says they're bringing back fabrics!  (Read 6158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011 10:30:11 PM »

Yes, you read that correctly. I went in to grab a few things at my local Walmart, and noticed that they are going through a remodel. Part of that remodel is a whole new arts and crafts section complete with brand new bolts of super cute fabric. I am overjoyed! I heard a rumor that they might be bringing it back to certain stores. I am very happy to find that it is true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have some spare roving you're willing to part with? Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius
Circlesofstone
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011 05:07:27 AM »

Wow, that's wonderful. I hope mine brings it back too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011 02:06:04 PM »

You are soooooooo lucky!!!!!
My closest WalMart is pretty small so I doubt I will be getting it. Drat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011 08:25:06 PM »

Lucky you!
my Wally's just remodeled and cut the fabric department to about 1/4 of what it was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011 11:14:41 AM »

Apparently, their customers have been telling them they want it back. (Really? Shocked Whoda think it? she says sarcastically.)

IMO, their high-end fabric is okay, (the cheap stuff is cheap) but, in my store, anyway, there's not much of a selection. But I buy all my muslin there, and notions. The nearest JoAnne's is more than an hour from here, and that's a fair trek for thread. If Walmart had more, I'd buy more. I guess that message is--finally!--getting though.

WSJ link here: http://tinyurl.com/43xqesr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
GhostyCat
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 06:42:42 PM »

Why would your walmart get rid of the fabric section? O.o'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Circlesofstone
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011 10:35:22 AM »

Most Walmarts pulled their fabric section a few years ago. I am so glad to hear they plan on bringing it back. I hope they do that in my local store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011 10:54:06 AM »

There are three within 45 minute of me; two have only cake decorating/scrapbooking stuff. The one closest to me has one row of sewing notions, one drawer stack of patterns, and a short wall of fabric and batting. That's it. It used to be bigger (sorta), but they've been steadily cutting back since the other two eliminated their fabric sections altogether.

I'd love to see them bring it back. I just hope it's on real-people time (i.e. soon) and not corporate time (i.e. eventually).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011 12:39:41 PM »

In my experience, any city that also has a fabric store in it, the WalMart tossed their sewing section. In northern Ontario, Sudbury, Timmins and North Bay all have a Fabricland, and from what I can tell, the craft sections are now 3 pathetic rows of general-craftiness containing mainly yarn, scrapbooking and flower arrangement supplies. Even the New Liskeard location, without a Fabricland but having a Quilt Barn, is in the same sorry state.

I'm guessing it just wasn't cost-effective for them to carry fabrics once cotton prices started rising, because their suppliers would have been charging more, meaning they would have had to charge more. In that case, they would have been more in line with stores like Fabricland who carry better fabrics to begin with and they would have lost business. I'm sure many of you have noticed that the few offerings left are mainly big brand names like Martha Stewart and that other woman, including some brand-name fat-quarter bundles.

I'm going to wait with crossed arms and raised eyebrow, considering there's been "rumours" of this since last fall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluelodge
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011 04:33:56 PM »

I live in a smaller town, so I have to drive 20 miles to Jo-Annes.  I'm not a Walmart shopper, but they did have a great fabric section. I hope they bring it back to our store.  We do have a quilting shop, but the are snooty when they find out you only make purses.  They are so focused on quilting.  I've gone in a few times for thread, but that's all.  Their fabric is way overpriced.  It would be nice to have choices for fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Your Chicago-Style Hot Dog is Missing
Gourmet Ham-and-Cheese Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Make Honey Chipotle Ribs
National Hot Dog Day: Simple Gourmet Franks
How to Make a Classic Chicago-Style Hot Dog for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...