A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necklace and Ring set  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet_today_challenge , crochet_challenge_12 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fruitysalad
« on: April 10, 2011 06:42:12 PM »

The basis for this set is the Ribbon stitch (RS) , an adaptation of the chain-less foundation stitch. On it's own it produces a flat braid with a little elasticity that is great for bracelets and rings. Combined with the Ribbon Base Increase (RBI) stitch and the Ribbon Top Increase stitch (RTI - not used in this project) you can make your braid curve left or right as needed while the ribbon stays flat and keeps it's width constant. This has allowed me to create a necklace/chain that remains flat against the skin at all times, which I really like to wear. 

The pendant and ring each feature a 22mm vintage shank backed button. A crochet circle is used to secure the button at the back and hold the thread so it can be strung artfully across the front as the maker desires.

Materials:
1.25mm crochet hook (8 US, 3 UK)
needle for weaving in ends and creating pendant design.
NO. 20 crochet cotton
14mm button for necklace closure.
22mm shank backed button each for pendant and ring

Stitches used:

Adjustable loop (Also known as magic ring/magic loop/adjustable ring)
Double crochet (DC) equivalent of UK treble
Chain (CH)
Slip stitch (sl st)

Special Stitches:

First Ribbon Stitch (FRS): Chain 3, yarn over, insert hook into first chain made, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through 2 loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops (1 loop remaining)

Ribbon Stitch (RS): Yarn over, insert hook into the bottom most loop of the previous stitch, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2, (2 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through 2 (1 loop remaining)

Ribbon Base Increase (RBI): Yarn over, insert hook into bottom loop of previous stitch, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 (2 loops on hook) yarn over, insert hook into bottom most loop of two loops just pulled through, yarn over, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 (2 loops on hook),  yarn over, pull through 2 (1 loop remaining)
(this produces a stitch one chain wide at the top and two chains wide at the bottom, curving the ribbon toward the hook holding hand)

(Not used here but in case you need it for your own design: Ribbon Top Increase (RTI): Work RS  then, yarn over, insert hook into middle loop of the previous stitch, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 3 (1 loop remaining). The next stitch is worked into the base of the RS, creating a stitch two chains wide at the top and one chain wide at the bottom, curving the ribbon away from the hook hand)

Ribbon Chain Stitch (RC): Insert hook into base loop of previous stitch (or loop instructed) yarn over, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook) , yarn over, pull through both loops on hook. 

NECKLACE
Leaving a length of thread to sew on button for clasp, FRS 1,  RS, 3 *RBI 1, RS 3 * repeat between *s 25 times (104 stitches along top of row) or until 15mm short of desired length.

In the middle horizontal loop of the previous stitch, work 1RC, then continue on with 14 more RC.

Keeping the front of the work up, turn so necklace runs in opposite direction.
Sl st into base of the stitch the first RC was worked in, sl st into base of next stitch, fasten off, weave in end.

Using thread at beginning of necklace to sew on the button, weave in end.

PENDANT

Starting with adjustable loop, chain 3, DC into loop 24 times, WITHOUT TIGHTENING LOOP, sl st into top of first DC made and, leaving a long tail to create the front design with, fasten off.

Place button shank side up, then place loop over the shank. Tighten the loop around the shank distributing the DC's evenly as you do so. Use the tail of the loop to secure it to the button through the shank. Weave in end.

Put the thread attached to the DC loop on a needle. Take the thread across the front of the button to the opposite side and pass it through the top two loops of the closest DC on the back, pull firmly. Continue passing the thread across the front and securing in the top loops of the DC's on the back until the button is secured and a pleasing design is achieved. Tie off on back and weave end into the DC loop.

Decide which way up you would like your pendant to be, and attach thread at the DC on the back one stitch to the right of the top most DC (1 to the left if your left hand dominant) and place loop on hook. Insert hook into next DC (this will be the DC you identified as being at the top of your pendant) yarn over, pull up a loop, insert hook into next DC, yarn over pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 (two loops on hook), yarn over pull through 2 (1 loop remaining). #

RS 8, leaving tail long fasten off. Use tail to attach bail to back of DC ring and weave in end.

RING

Remembering that you will be working from the side of the ring rather than the top, work as for pendant until #.
RC 12, (for a large finger or to size needed), sl st into DC on opposite side, insert hook into middle horizontal loop on previous stitch, pull up a loop, sl st into next DC, insert hook into base loop of previous stitch, pull up a loop, sl st into next DC. Fasten off, weave in end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011 08:01:49 PM »

That stitch looks really lovely, I hadn't heard of it before.  I'm going to have to try it out, it looks just perfect for jewelry!

I love the blue and white combo, and the straight lines across the circles really make things pop.  Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011 08:25:59 PM »

I love this set (I'm so partial to buttons)!  Very creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011 08:54:40 PM »

Oh wow! I had no idea you could  make a ring that beautiful with crochet! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fruitysalad
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011 09:17:13 PM »

Thank you! I was worried this was a little too simple looking to be here so your comments are very re-assuring.
Kirsa, as far as I can tell this is the first time this stitch has been published. I accidentally made it when trying to learn the chain-less foundation a few years ago and have been using it to make straps and kids friendship bracelets since. The increase stitches only came about last week when I was trying to make a stretchier version of these snakes
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;topic=289504.0;search=img;show_complete=true;sort=ID_MSG|desc
As soon as I worked out how to do the curves I knew they would be great for jewellery and this little project was born. Just let me know if the instructions need work, I have horrible hands so am lothe to take step by step photo's but will do it if needed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011 01:52:18 AM »

I love the cleverness and simplicity of this! The 'chain' looks great on your neck, and the strands of cotton across the pendant and ring are just perfect. Great creation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011 06:53:42 AM »

I like the idea of crocheting a ring! that's a wonderful set!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fruitysalad
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011 06:43:02 PM »

Cheesy Thank you, it was your snakes that got me going Angry Angel! I had no beads or findings and no money, but once I worked the stitches out I knew I could make something out of my stash.
Thank you Bella! The ring is surprisingly comfortable, hope you give one a go.

Oh, and Balatong, I understand your partiality, I have a little box of buttons I collected a long time ago, going through them makes me feel like a king counting his money! I'l have to keep looking for ways to display them I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
insprink
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011 09:35:19 PM »

what a wonderful idea. i love this!! good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Learn Classical Composition Through DVD Course
Linear Grayscale Painting
Plein-Air Landscape Painting Workshops
How to Draw Daffy Duck
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...